crossing Haitian border

xut

Oct 22, 2002
We'll be near the Haitian border (Jimani-Malpasse), so we wouldn't like to go back to Santo Domingo to take the bus to Port-Au-Prince. But we don't want either to arrive to that dangerous city without knowing where we are and how to arrive to the hotel:
- how easy is to cross the border and take there a taxi?
- if we arrive by bus -daylight- how dangerous is being in a place we don't know and are there taxis nearby?
- is there any possibility to take a bus in the Dominican side of the border -Terra Bus & Caribe Tours doesn't stop anywhere, just leaves SD and there is no possibility to take the bus en-route.
- I read somewhere there are cheaper buses that take a longer time to arrive to PAP, do they stop en-route?

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you have a good reason to go to Haiti, or are haitian, I would suggest you pass on this one.

if you are black, you might make it just fine, but with a broken heart to see such poverty among such nice people, If you are white, I just would not suggest that particular trip. Sorry.

HB

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Have to agree with the hillbilly on this one,ive been there years ago but wouldnt dream of it at this moment if you really have no choice fly or take direct transport .What hotel are you staying in once you arrive?are you leaving from pap airport

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
Apart from the two well known bus companies smaller minibuses are also going to PAP.They leave very early in the morning from opposit the Haitian embassy. It is possible that they take additional passengers at the border at Jimani. They drop you in the lower part of PAP near Blvd. J.J.Dessalines.

xut

Oct 22, 2002
thanks, any telephone

that was what I thought, after I called the two big companies, who don't allow to take the bus anywhere except SD. Do you know if those small companies have telephone numbers? or how I can find them?
thanks

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
here's the cheapo way of getting there!

My three friends and I (all white females) took a trip to Haiti about 2 years ago and it was fairly safe. You just have to be smart about everything you do and do not arrive in PAP at night.

If you go to the Parque Enriquillo near the duarte at dusk around 5:30 or 6 am you can hop on a mini bus that will take you to Jimani it will probably cost over 100 pesos now a days. You make the long 3-4 hour trip to the boarder.

You can either walk the few kilometers of the "no mans zone" or hitch a ride with missionaries or aid workers (many fill there trucks up with petrol in the DR) or hire a taxi or motochoncho to take you to the other side. You pass immigration on the Haitian side. There you will find small trucks/ buses that will take you to PAP, always negociate the price before you get in. And if you choose to sit up front with the driver where it is more comfortable it will cost more, those are the first class seats!

It will take you another couple of hours to reach PAP mainly because of the bad roads. You will be dropped off in the middle of a market. This is also where you will need to go to get the transport back to the board and then to Jimani.

We spent 4 days in Haiti only two nights in PAP and two nights in Jacmel ( a wonderful beautiful coastal city) I definately suggest the Iron Market where you will find many Voodoo artifact and Haitian art, they have so much compared to the DR.

Most Haitians thought we were French upon site and since none of us spoke French we were able to get around just fine with our Spanish. We really never declared ourselves to be Americans to anyone, and they really didn't care where we were from. I think they just enjoy the tourist spending a bit of money in their country.

It can be depressing seeing the conditions of how Haitian live, especially the poor, yet the well to do, well they do well. On our last night we treated ourselves to one of the best and infamous hotels in PAP, the O as we say (I've forgotten the name, but can look it up sometime) At this hotel you will meet journalist from all over the world. We came across a professor who teaches university in Haiti who was well knowledgeable about Hatian/Dominican relations and how it is the history of colonization that took place in both countries that has dictaded their current economic/politican situations. It was very fasinating!

email me if you are intersted in more info.

I highly suggest making the trip, you'll be glad you did.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I do believe you are refering to the hotel olafsen unless i have been misinformed it is closed now,used to be a great place to stey with really freaky voodoo shows.LOL

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
That is sad to hear that Olfoson has closed it was a beautiful hotel, that was the one I was refering to.

Those paved roads of the 90's are no better than the paved roads of the 21 centurty in the DR, full of pot holes..

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
The Hotel Olafson is definitely not closed. It is alive and thriving. And their house band Ram continues to play there every Thursday night - something worth seeing. They even went on an international tour including Europe to play their music. I have been to the Olafson a bunch of times. It's a wonderful place and yes it is the place where journalists stay in Haiti.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
The quanitity of disinformation about Haiti never ceases to amaze me. Please don't anyone take any of this as a personal attack because it isn't. When was the last time - if ever - either of the two members who replied with no information other than "don't go" been to Haiti? Never mind, it doesn't matter.

My advice is to judge the facts and ignore the opinions that appear without them:

Fact: The Oloffson (yes, that's how it is spelled) is open. You can call for up-to-date information at 509-23-4000 or 509-23-4102.

Fact: There is widespread poverty and deprivation in Haiti, much like what is found in many parts of a large Spanish-speaking Caribbean nation that is not Puerto Rico.

Opinion (mine): Everyone should make their own mind up about what it is like in Haiti (there is only one way to do that). Whether or not it's worth a visit boils down to your purpose; I don't think it is one of the better leisure destinations in the region but there are significant business and relief work opportunities.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have been to Haiti several times, I have several Haitians among my students, and they tell me that it is not safe in many places.
There is no real police force, and banditry is widespread. Perhaps on the main roads between PAP and the border, and certainly over towards Jacmel where Hydor Quebec is providing power, things are different, but the last I heard a guy went over to Haiti from Dajabon, was robbed at knifepoint in Juana Mendez (Ounamenthe in Creole) and had to walk back across the border with nothing...

HB

Go and tell us about it...

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Hillbilly, you say "last you heard" someone got robbed. That can mean a lot of things. I "hear" a lot of things happening here too but it doesn't make me leave DR. So I would be more interested in what you experienced yourself when you visited H. This is not to be smart, I am honestly curious since I am thinking about going myself.

As a matter of fact, I went there last week, but i just visited a market on the other side of the border during an hour, so I can't say anything about the country in general. We were the only whites there and there were hardly any dominicans (of any color) there either but nothing happened to us. People seemed mostly curious, if they paid attention at all. A couple of very aggressive policemen turned up though and scared the hell out of people by pointing their rifles randomly into the masses. We never felt that there was any threat towards us though. But as noted by some forum members before, "feeling safe" and "being safe" is not the same and I wouldn't want to draw any conclusions about the country from this very short visit.

Actually, I know this french man who lived in PAP for two years and who now lives in DR. He says - and this might be controversial for some of the forum members - that the Haitans are actually more respectful towards foreigners than the Dominicans. For example, while domincans would typically stare at foreigners without shame, Haitans wouldn't. According to him, you are also less likely to get robbed in Port-au-Prince than in Santo Domingo. Before getting upset about that statement, keep in mind that these are his words, not mine.

The last part of my very limited knowledge about Haiti consists in what I have been told by my Haitian classmates. They are showing great frustration with the image of Haiti produced in DR, typically by Dominicans who never visited the country, and they are very eager to promote another, more positive picture of the country. They also agree that as a foreigner in Haiti you are not likely to get into trouble.

I remain interested in accounts from people who actually went there.

Best,

mne

Quisqueya Girl

Oct 21, 2002
For those interested in travelling to Haiti:

For those of you interested in travelling to Haiti and want first hand accounts:

First my background: I have travelled to Haiti a number times on brief visits and lived there once for 3 months in PAP. Also, I am a white American female.

These are generalizations and are not going to apply to every situation.

Safety:

The safest way to travel to Haiti is to have previous, well-established contacts there who are going to look after you and manage your logistics. That's always the best way no matter what country you travel to.

If you are travelling strictly as a tourist for the first I would fly into PAP (even from the DR). I would stay at a major hotel such as the Olafson (life is too short to worry about spelling), El Rancho or Hotel Montana. Arrange for transportation to the hotel ahead of time if they offer the service. Then talk to people at the hotel about someone trustworthy who can act as your guide.

Generalizations:

The countryside is safer than PAP. You won't have very problems outside of PAP.

Don't travel at night by public or private transportation. The biggest problem in Haiti is not the pickpockets but the 'zenglendos', the really bad nasty gangsta types.

The Haitian people are really wonderful despite what some DR1 posters have said (in other threads). Just be respectful like all humans deserve and don't treat them like "the poorest people in the Western Hemisphere". C'mon everyone has their dignity.

Ask before you take photos of people then give them a few coins as a way of thanks. Many Haitians are embrassed by their poverty.

You are probably more safe being white or being a foreigner. You are certainly not a target because of it. And outside of PAP they will be extremely curious about you.

Would I recommend going to Haiti? Sure if you are the adventurous type. If you are high maintenance then check into an expensive hotel, spend your time by the pool being waited on and then leave.

-QG

ps just a side note: I call myself Quisqueya Girl (though I can barely spell that either) because I am extremely interested in Hispaniola/Quisqueya as a whole. Haiti and the DR are so intertwined I find it hard to learn about one without learning about the other.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
I have also been a few times to PAP last time in early 2000. I never felt scared and in the daytime there should not be any problem as far as security is concerned. The area between Champ de Mars and Blvd. Jean Jacues Dessalines is very dark in the nighttime and people say it is dangerous and that hold ups may occur. If you stay up in P?tionville where the well-off and middle class Haitians live there should not be any security problem in the nights. Apart from the expensive hotels (Rancho, Montana, Kinam) there are also some cheaper hotels but there you may face longlasting black outs.You can move around freely without fear even in the lower part. People are extremely nice, friendly, helpful and charming, probably due to the French influence in their culture.In Haiti I have never met any stubborn, arrogant and uneducated Domi style Macho man like the hundreds of thousands in this country who due to their total ignorance consider themselves superior to any humble and poor Haitian.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Ist point i want to be clear that i find Haitians to be very nice and amazingly friendly people however i do stand corrected for saying not to go to pop,i should have said i personally would not go at this time,you make choices foryourself
2nd for Arturo yes i have been to Haity many times once for 3 months nonstop,oh as you so eloquently put it never mind ive seen some of your other posts and i realize you know all