INXS coming to DR, hehehe!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Can anyone tell me how anybody can listen to "Need You tonight", "what you need", "New sensation" and their great repertoire without Michael Hutchense? This is a waste of time. These guys also look like grandaddies now, not quite the INXS mystique. But Dominicans will flock as usual and be taken for a ride.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So what? Its not your money!

Why does it irritate you so much when people who you don't know spend their money in a manner that you don't agree with? I would never pay the prices that you do for Designer LabeL clothes,but if you want a Gucci belt,go right ahead.I guess that is why Dominicans go to Baskin Robbins Icecream stores to pay 3 times more for bad icecream when Helados Bon is better! Cris

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Criss

You're absolutely right. If I were wearing an old Gucci belt, or one of those "passe" Versace shirts with the gold leafing I would certainly feel as bad as watching the old, with the missing link INXS.

TW

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Oh I forgot Criss!

What is your proof that Helados Bon is better than Baskin Robbins?

TW

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
More than likely Helados Bon (which I have never tasted ) doesn't have the the junk in it like Baskin Robbins. Full of additives and preservatives. People like "BRANDS" even if it kills them.
Pardon me I should have said "Brand Names"

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I'll tell ya what!!

I will pose a challenge. Next time you go to Helados Bon try the regular "pasa" or raisin flavor and tell me if you find any small bits or pieces of raisins in it and if it tastes like "pasa" should taste.

More likely you will find a watered down ice cream that feels more like cheap italian ice.

That's not all. Go to the supermarket and buy their premium brand which will cost you far more less than at the counter and you will find most containers caps off, because it has no protection. The ice cream feels old and icy, besides overpriced.

Here's another test. Go to Nestle's Ice Cream and buy any flavor and compare it to Bon's, including the much better price and portions for Nestle and let me know. I will be waiting for your opinion.

TW

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
Back to INXS... olvidense de helados!! :D

Having seen the band during their peak a few times, I must agree with Golo. Just in the office today I was talking to some co-workers about this show and how I might catch it since I'll be in DR that week but I started to think.. it's not really INXS anymore.
Michael Hutchence *was* what made the band what they were by simpley being one of modern rock's best frontman... Without him, they're just a cover band. I would have liked them to change their name and reinvent themselves, very much like Joy Division did when they became New Order.. and heck, belt out a few old INXS hits along the way... New Order do it these days, so why not them?

Paying those absurd prices is mindless when there are a ton of other bands out there than can rock DR if someone would just bring them on. In any case, I'm checking out Midge Ure (ultravox) tonight at a small lounge here in NY tonight.. so let's see what he has to perform.

Edwin

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My proof is in the pudding!

I may not be a connoisseur,more like an "open sewer"!, but Helados Bon is really good! At 1/3 the price of Baskin Robbins!I love Ron Pasa,Dulce de Leche,Coco,Malta,habichuelas con dulce,to name a few! Any ice cream that has been frozen and thawed several times will taste watery,and have ice crystals,I buy at the Naco Plaza,and Jardin Botanico,Arroyo Hondo where they have a planta.Stop buying Helado in Villa Mella!CRIS

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Try the new flavor of the month at baskins robbins, yum yum yum. Its called the tree (something) chocolate. Its soooo delicious. Yes the damn thing costs much more than BON but certainly worth it.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Helados Bon and Baskin Robins Both suck.
I didn't know that INXS was touring again without Hutchins. What happened? did they blow all their money and are now touring to make a living.?
We have the Rollings Stones coming to Miami now. I love the Stones but I realy don't want to see a bunch of old brits on a nostalgia tour. I'll stay home and play my Sticky Fingers LP instead.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you want great ice cream...come up to Boston (Cambridge, really)...and go to Toscanini's ice cream in Central Square..by far the best I have ever had....they even make a fresh mango ice cream...makes Baskin Robbins taste like frozen sugar water..even Haggen Daaz (sp) puts B.R. to shame.

T.C....you can pick a better Stones album than Sticky Fingers....never really liked that zipper on the cover..believe it or not I liked Emotional Rescue better...I like their stamina, but its time for the elder statesmen of Rock to call it a day.....please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of.....

INXS....man....those were the days!!....did it get any better than being in a bar/club...after a few drinks.....dancing with a similarly stoned chick...hearing the lyrics..."there's something about you girl....that makes me sweat."...I'm ready to strike a pact with the devil and sell my soul in exchange for being 21 again...

Redrum...New Order was good.....good beats....but that lead singer did nothing for me though...Depeche Mode, however, was amazing.

Last edited:

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
the point is.....

When it comes to rock n pop bands on tour, the DR gets seriously behind. Bringing 'has beens' such as Duran Duran and now INXS sans Hutchence is dreadful. It's sad to see such an amazing spot like Altos de Chavon which rivals most amphitheaters in beauty and style not hosting current live favorites like Coldplay, Radiohead (which have a big Dominican following) or David Bowie (whom I just saw last week--AMAZING!!)...

Re New Order/DM. Of course. Bernard Sumner of New Order isn't the best showman around that's for sure and that's where DM's Dave Gahan beats Sumner. He's a bit more livelier when he plays to UK audiences as opposed to US, where, very few brit bands 'connect' with the audience. However, I will say that New order's last record, "Get Ready,' was better than DM's "Exciter", IMO, which was, well.. not too exciting save a two songs. Alas.. we digress from ice cream and INXS.....

Redrum

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Old farts are coming!

-The Rolling Stones show is the equivalent of watching the best scary movie of all time "The Night of The Living Dead". Mick Jagger and the bunch look like they unearthed themselves.

-RedrumXIII..if Midge Ure looks as bad as Simon Lebon and Duran Duran you better stay home. Simon is overweight, wrinkled and sloppily dressed.

-Mondongo..why did you have to mention Toscanini Ice Cream? Don't hurt us so bad. I heard Capuccinos has good ice. I know some places in Calle El Conde have much better stuff than Bons.

-I have a Michael Hutchense song singing solo(very rare) called "Room for The Memories". He never needed INXS. He was one of the best all time. INXS should retire for good and render him homage. If they need cash the Manoguayabo Car Wash is looking for car washers.

-Best band of the 80's....Trisomie 21. New Order copied them and commercialized their music. Trisomie 21 never wanted that notoriety at the expense of selling.

Now for old farts coming back to DR who should have long retired in dignity:
Dyango, Joan Manuel Serrat, Danny Rivera, and worst of the bunch BRAULIO!! Did you see this guy's newest picture? Shame on him. Not to mention the continuing saga of Celia Cruz. Will she ever die? What about Danny Rivera, puke!

Some actual ones that should retire before it gets ugly: Millie..her latest makeover couldn't hide her miserable look. Olga Ta?on's latest makeover was as bad as Millie, only she now pretends to look like Jlo. What a joke. Gisselle shows her ugly wrinkled belly buttom without shame. These merengueras are finished.

Will someone re-retire Juan Luis Guerra please since he doesnt' have the dignity to do so. The same goes for Sergio Vargas, Fernandito Villalona(save his bald head).

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Bands tour for one of 2 reasons. To promote their latest release or to make money. So it makes little sense to travel to the DR. The costs of shipping all of ther equipement for 1 or 2 shows for limited ticket sales and even less Disc sales precludes many top acts from visiting.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Old farts are coming!

golo said:
..if Midge Ure looks as bad as Simon Lebon and Duran Duran you better stay home. Simon is overweight, wrinkled and sloppily dressed.

the big difference is that ultravox was always about the music, not the looks. can't say the same for duran duran.

so how was the show, redrum?

mob.

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
Trisomie 21? Ha! They were OK... Young Gods are a much better band IMO; one member even actually produced Trisomie 21 records. Golo, please... they're gone and forgotten... But since the theme is 'old farts'.. Meat Beat Manifesto, an old Play It Again Sam band just released a new record. It's Ok.. sigh..

Let me knot even go into Rolling Stones.. because it's more than sad.

Re: Midge Ure.. I went, being that I live so close to the club.. I arrived for drinks a little early and the crowd was well.. strange. Some guys were dressed as if they had just left their construction jobs, and some left their posts at the bank.. I didn't know if they had come to see Midge or another band then.. i saw a couple of 'new wave' kids and i felt at ease, since one had bleached hair a la Nick Rhodes circa 'Seven and the Ragged Tiger' hahah. :D So.. the show began and I was pleasantly surprised.. more at his voice than guitar playing which at times did not resemble the melodies of the signature synths he and Ultravox used.. Still he performed for 90 mins and it was all hits! Even the cover of Tom Rush's 'No Regrets' which I didn't expect him to perform.. All in all, a worthwhile show ...

Redrum

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
RedrumXIII

Trisomie 21 is still going in a different direction. Now they are more ambiental and mostly instrumental. They are now called "Process of Composition".

Play it Again Sam, o yeah. I used to get my Sam records at Wax Trax on US1 near the Perth Amboy exit in Jersey. The Princeton U. record shop was pretty good too with stuff like that. Did you ever like Batz without Flesh, or Sinister Attraction?

And that's the problem with concerts after many years. They never play the same music and it quite doesn't sound like the records, which is why I am crazy about DJ's mixing rather than live music for dancing.

TW

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Sergio Vargas Vete Y Dile...

...is as good a merengue record as Ive ever heard, so he doesnt need to retire. Right now he is sounding the best he ever has. Granted his past recorded efforts have been not so good in quality but I attribute that to inferior recording facilities in the DR. That why his "recorded live stuff" is his best. But Vete y Dile is good. Give it a try.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
On the contrary

Sergio was good when he started with Wilfrido and when he went solo. His latest stuff is all repetitious. He has a fixation with the word "Dile". His previous song before this one was "Dile" and now "vete y dile". You hear them both, they sound the same. All his song are predictable. You give me the first couple of notes and I can finish off the rest without ever hearing them.

TW