will cell phone work abroad?

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Hey...

If I would buy a cell phone with a card here in the DR, it wouldn't work if I put another card into it upon my return to Europe, right? If not, is there anyway to make it accept a European card, with the help of some handy person?

Thanks,

mne

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
I don't even know what this "activation" thing is all about. We normally just by a card and start using the phone. Some phones are "blocked" when sold though, so that they can only be used with the card from a specific company (sponsoring the purchase of the phone). So I thought that's what they do with the phones here too. Could someone please explain?

mne

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Money works better in the DR

you can "work" "A broad" in the DR with a cell phone since they all want them but they prefer cash.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I have an Orange phone here in the RD. Whenever I have been to the United Kingdom I go into a convenient Orange store and have them put in an UK chip and buy a quantity of minutes. It works fine the only drawback for me is I have no access to my telephone chip from here for telephone numbers, I have to laboriously re-enter those I am likely to want. When I get back home to the RD I just change the chip over. I use the GSM frequencies.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Wow, an 11 year old thread just got resurrected, helpful information indeed.