cheapest hotels in Cabarete, Las Terrenas/Saman?, Barahona, Bayahibe

xut

Oct 22, 2002
Guide de routard says there are some hotels 100-200 RD$. Do you know which are they in the towns above?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What kind of a guidebook is that? When was it written?

See Eddy's response to a somewhat similar question in the Sosua-Need Someplace Cheaper thread. Although he was speaking of the Sosua area, his answer would also apply to the other areas you have mentioned.

At present rate of exchange, RD$100 is US$5. Ask yourself what you can hope to get for that.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
xut

There is a hotel in sosua called Hotel Americana.Do you know it Ken?Its a couple hundred feet past the Europa on the same side as you head towards the beach.Anyway..rooms are(were a few months ago)200 pesos per night.just a small room with a bed and a bathroom..no windows..no A/C..no TV.There is another better place in the other direction just past the Europa down a short dirt road on the other side of the street ..I think it was called Palm springs or something like that..It had nice little rooms with a little tv..a bed and nice bathroom for 200 pesos and rooms slightly bigger with a small livingroom for 250 pesos(again..this was a few months ago.Also..there is Rockys bar on Calle Dr Rosen..his rooms were small but nice and were proced at 250 pesos but I hear he has relocated next door so I am not sure if the rooms ar price has changed...hope I have been of help.
P.S...There is also a place called the Blue Dolphin in sosua and I think the rooms are even cheaper than 200 pesos per night but its almost like sleeping in a closet.
Larry

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
There are decent hotels at around 200 for a double room at most places it seems. These are not hotels that you'd go to if you want to spend your entire vacation at the hotel, but rather places where you can enjoy a good night's sleep after you've spent the day at the beach or exploring the country. One suggestion is to ask a motoconcho when you arrive to take you to a couple of inexpensive hotels and ask for the price at each one before making up your mind. Maybe he'll start out with his cousin's hotel but hey...

mne

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
It's a place called Hotel Dinhy in Las Terrenas, basic but right on the beach, 1 min walk from most of the restaurants, it's also a restaurant in the hotel. Price range from RD$ 300 and down.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In 1983 I arrived in Sosua and the average cost of a room was US$35 to 50.00/day. No electricity (Very Little) A beer cost .25 and minimum wage was around 75.00 pesos per week. Based on the increases, an average room should be US$150.00 per day. What am I missing here??

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Also, I get a kick out of people that want to pay 200 pesos per day for a room but will rent a car for 800.00 and give a hooker 1,000.00. Guys, maybe it's the Presidentes tonight but I'm really lost. Heeeeeeelp.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Yo Eddy
You cant blame the Presidente,well maybe if youre refering to his baldness,some people like to live poorly,oh well this is the only country in the world where the cost of everything except hotel rooms goes up,but youve been seing this long enough,havent lowered your standards and youre still succesful.Dont give up the fight,maybe one day people will wake up and smell the coffee
Johnny