Any IT job in Dominican Republic

jetli

Oct 26, 2002
hello everyone,

I'm a new member to this forum. I've read a lot of preview posts and found them very useful.

I just wonder, is there any IT jobs (eg: Computer/Network Technician) surrounding the capital area?

Besides, what do you think of starting up a computer business in the capital? Well, I'm only 23 but I don't think age would matter at all.

Thank you very much for any information.

Jet
A British National (Overseas) in Canada - so, guess where am i from? :)

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
First of all, read the posts about starting a business in general. I have little doubt that the right person with the right experience/abilities and so forth could make it here and be relatively successful. Also, take a long hard look at why you want to come here. If you don't have a good reason, (family, spouse, burning desire to help Dominican people, belief that you can make the money you want, etc.) and some might suggest, a willingness to stick it out if that reason falls apart, forget about it and stick to what you know.

1. learn spanish well
2. learn to understand the culture
3. spend time here getting settled in, keep your eyes and ears open, develop strong friendships relating to the busines you want to start.

Don't let your age worry you. By the time you learn all of the above(if you are not already there) it won't be any problem. Also, my personal opinion (I pause here to duck so that everyone may fire over my head) is that the younger you are the better chance you have of learning all of the things that you will need to learn(particularly the language) to be a success. That of course is assuming that youthful exuberance does not inhibit the patience needed to do so.

jetli

Oct 26, 2002
Yes, I'm planning to come during this Christmas; By that time I will have a better idea what DR is about.

One thing that concerns me is that, I thought most Dominicans are English speaking (even Spanish is the 1st language). And no, I don't have any knowledge on Spanish, nor any plan to learn in the near future.

Another question I have for you, is there any China Town in DR?

Thanks for your time!

Jet

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
Nope, most dominicans do not speak english. You will find the some people of the bigger cities such as Santo Domingo and Santiago, do speak some English. And some of those, speak it very well with zero mistakes.. Also expect hotel workers to speak some english as well.. and please fellow forum posters, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Re a Chinatown in SD. Doubt it. You will need to stick to whatever Mr. Movies or Moviemax bring to quench your HK/Asian movie fix, if that's what you're looking for (hence your username)...

Redrum

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Wrong and Right

jetli said:
Yes, I'm planning to come during this Christmas; By that time I will have a better idea what DR is about.

One thing that concerns me is that, I thought most Dominicans are English speaking (even Spanish is the 1st language). And no, I don't have any knowledge on Spanish, nor any plan to learn in the near future.

Another question I have for you, is there any China Town in DR?

You will not do business without Spanish and even visiting if you "don't plan to learn in the near future" go to Bermuda or Bahamas etc. You may at some point want to buy food, ask directions etc.

There is a Chinatown in Santo Domingo.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
jetli - I am in the IT industry myself and at one point I was also looking to find a job in DR. Speaking from my experience alone I found that you really have to be connected in DR to get the good paying jobs. If you do get a job there then you're not going to be making the same kind of money you would make in the US or Canada. The growth opportunities can also be limited considering that some work places can get very political (connections again) and the work enviorment is also much more relaxed and getting people to work can be a challenge on it's own.

Of course if you start your own business then it changes the equation...but again the best chances of survival would come from a combination of knowing the right people, understanding the business enviorment in the DR and a host of other factors...including being able to speak spanish.

There's no chinatown in DR but there's is a large asian population in the country. A good friend of mine is Chinese, born in the US and raised in the DR. He still goes back often as his family lives there. I can put you in touch with him and I am sure he could tell you more about that aspect of DR.

Listen to Rick, visit the country, spend some real time there and then re-evaluate the reasons for wanting to move. If you still find that this is the right thing for you then I suggest you start by trying to get a job with a foreign company with operations in the DR. Do a web search and look through the archives in the Business section...you will find tons of usefull information. Lastly, register with monster.com...every now and then they post job openings in the DR...mostly in the manufacturing sector though.

Best of Luck.

Last edited:

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
You can do business in the DR without Spanish, but it really depends on what business you are in. I run into guys all the time that don't speak any spanish and were recruited to come to do a job in the DR. Mostly highly specialized stuff like construction, electronics, computers and networking, manufacturing, and banking. This is the typical foreigner riding in the 1st class cabin, Santo Domingo to Miami. In certain fields and levels of expertise, English is widely spoken and is the language of internationial business in this part of the world.

I do business in the tourist areas, and most business owners are foreigners that speak more English than Spanish. A good number of them have no practical ability in either (Italian, German, and French are widely spoken amongst the hotel, restaurant, and tour company owners).

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
If your planning on coming here I'd suggest learning some spanish. Its much easier that way. I didn't know any my first time here and it was very frustrating. But I got by and had a greaat time. Now I live here and am learning slowly. But without knowing any at all it could be hard.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, the is a Chinatown: Off Ave Mexico, where Mella (?) meets Mexico. Just past the national Palace. Totally chinese....

Ne ho mah?

HB

Ron_read

Feb 4, 2002
sosuatradewinds.com
IT jobs

Hi,
I am also in the computer industry, I work for American Express and am also interested in the possibility of setting up a computer business in the DR, I own a condo in Sosua.
Let me know what you have in mind.
seems that there should be some oppertunities for computer geeks in the islands, every year I have been in sosua I end up working on at least a handful of systems without even looking.
Ron

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Which is what I said.....

Hillbilly said:
Yes, the is a Chinatown: Off Ave Mexico, where Mella (?) meets Mexico. Just past the national Palace. Totally chinese....

Ne ho mah?

HB

.....having been there, like you I am sure. Not exactly San Francisco. But Chinese stuff for sure.