Police Bribes and Shakedowns...

Martin

Mar 8, 2002
I recently got pinched for a 'fine' the second time in two months for a 'traffic violation' (once AMET police and the other time the national police.)

What's going on? This is the third time in the last 12 months!Anything I can do? My friend says to demand to be taken to the precinct building, but I don't think thats the answer.

Any suggestions?

Martin

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Martin
AHMET is now giving a lot of fines however at the risk of attracting ridicule from fellow posters I will ask.Did you violate a traffic law,its not like it used to be now they write you a ticket and keep your drivers licence to ensure payment of fine.If you feel wronged you could demand to go to station(not a real smart idea in my oppinion)or just pay the ticket,you paid bribes before now the govt gets the money instead of a corrupt cop.

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
let me understand something than since this relates to something i was discussing earlier in a different thread... the 'trafic violation' you had to pay for... you're suggesting it is a scam right?

just wondering

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
I got "pinched" last November on the way from Boca Chica
to the Capital. I HAD not broken any traffic laws. Lost
$160.00 on that one. I wonder if they were profiling?
BTW, I had driven without incident on my
three previous trips.

Good luck on the road,

Moca

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Moca
I expect you mean 160 rd not us right,bad news is they got radar now on all highways ,Think they know how to work it or are they looking for enemy planes?Imagine very soon they are going to implement breathalizers,fines for DUI should wipe out the national debt within a month,:confused: :bandit:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
in defense of the corrupt police and the tough AMET

In spite of what you think, I don't know anybody who has gotten a ticket for being Michael Schumacher at 30mph. Everyone is guilty. The police and the AMET don't stop you for nothing, unless you drive a passola or motorcycle(with or without helmet) or a big truck(their favorite preys).

But if you drive a regular vehicle, chances are if you got a ticket you did something. Wether it takes a bribe or not is not the case. But feel happy that it costs a miserable $20-$100 pesos to get off, and even cheaper if an AMET catches up with you, because fines hardly exceed $50 pesos, specially if you just say "I'm guilty".

I got two tickets on one stop(u-turn and wrong way) deservingly so, I went to AMET on V Centenario to pick up my license and got off with a lousy $80 pesos. It wasn't the most fun time, but I was out of there in less than 30 minutes. Try that on US80 going from Ohio to Pennsylvannia like going 70mph and see the mess you can get into with those brownies> I take my chances with our nerds here. I had 3 different states licenses suspended(NY,NJ,ILL.) I don't get my Dominican licensed pointed.

TW

Martin

Mar 8, 2002
Yes, I agree that if you do viilate a law then a fine is appropriate. The problem is I know I didn't break a law in either case.

The three times this has happened was in Santo Domingo, with a rental car (of course with the usual stickers and front license plates announcing the rental car!) All three times the 'fine' has been a different amount, and the one fine changed as soon as I showed my US Military ID! (You should have seen their face!)
The last fine was $180 DR, I had 150$ and they were happy to accept a $10 Real note from Brazil I had in my wallet......interesting to say the least. When did the Dominican police start accepting the combination for the fines?!

I love it in the DR, this isn't detering me from going there, and I'm working on living there part time. I just don't know what to do except pay the fines and keep going!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't stop!....again,DON"T STOP!!!!

Most are to lazy to chase you,or can't because they have no motercycle.Act like you don't see them.If they do come after you don't speak ANY spanish to them.Speak a lot in your native language.Smile,say no problem,if you must have 20 pesos in your shirt pocket to give them.Keep talking your language amd smiling as you drive away.No way does his Captain want a foreign tourist at his police station.Never get mad or yell! CRIS

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
habla english or no compende with a strong english acvcent usually works well along with americano and a big dumb ass smile and nod your head yes even when he asks for money but dont give any just keep nodding and smilling and repeating no habla