Pick-pockets

Chief

Nov 1, 2002
Have you ever seen the magic shows on television where the artist has 5 or 6 people come up on stage and then takes their ties, watches, rings, billfolds, belts, et cetera and they don't have a clue? I think they all trained in the Dominican Republic. Be very, very careful, and they come in all ages!

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Chief! sounds like you generally carry cash & display your wealth to all & sundry... Never carry more cash than you really need to, keep the balance in Travellers cheques (with the numbers in a safe place,) Never tell anyone your plans for the day, keep your drivers' licence, passport etc in a safe place & carry xerox copies only. You're right about the pickpockets skills....
trouble is they are in every country in the world....too bad!! Canadian Bob.

Chief

Nov 1, 2002
The first lier never has a chance...so to speak. Yes, they are probably all over the world, and maybe Canada is worse than most places, but don't diminish the threat...it is worse here than New York. Besides, one generally expects that sort of thing in New York.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pick pockets are a hazard wherever you go. So far I have been lucky in the DR, but did get my pocket picked in Venezuela. Two guys were working together in a line waiting to exit a bus. One dropped change on the floor in front of me, and while scrambling about picking up the coins, moving my feet around in the process, the guy behind me picked my pocket while my attention was focused on the guy in front of me.

A couple of precautions that I now routinely take. I carry my wallet in my front pants pocket, not the back pocket where it used to be.

I have a money pouch around the neck that is inside my shirt. My cedula, copy of my passport, credit card and ATM card, and most of my money is in it. If pickpockets should get my wallet out of the front pocket, they won't get much.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Pick pockets don't have to be slick. They just pass it amongst themselves in a group, then spread out and run. It doesn't matter if you feel it being taken. It doesn't even have to be in your pocket. People have been known to have their money or cellphone taken right out of their hands, and jewelry from their person.

We used to walk around with monopoly money in our back pockets, very slightly exposed and bet how long before it would be pick-pocketed. Usually not long. As a hand approached, I'd make a sudden turn to look somewhere, and watch the thief try to act nonchalant.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Spread your money and things out..a little in each pocket. I always carry what I call "boob money". Enough to get a cab home with and a few beers. I carry a purse but when I am going out or where I know theres a croud i carry a small one close to the body. I've never had a problem here..just watch whats happening around you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have had my cell phone stolen right out of my hand :)

The best pick pockets I ever encountered are in Brazil, young, fast and very slick. They got me once, hanky chief, that was a warning for me...

The most enjoyable was in the main street in Sosua, one girl all over me, the other going through my pockets. They got nothing and I felt pretty good afterwards :)

Other than the cell phone, never really had a problem here with pick pockets.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Chief
Pickpockets exist everywhere however most cases here are girls getting your cash while one is playing with your johnson and your too busy enjoying it to catch on,ask Robert it feels so good when they steal my all time favorite canadian tire money cause when they try to cash it it always gets a chuckle:bandit:

TreasureMarc

Oct 22, 2002
www.freeyellow.com
Good Hiding Spot???...

Why not hide some of your $$$$$ in a plastic bag in a sock in one of your shoes???

Where do you 'hide' your Airline Ticket, when these so called 'money belts' are too 'small' for the ticket pouch, insurance booklet etc., to fit into????

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I've seen drunk men have their wedding rings sucked right off their fingers...

Once I was in the bathroom stall at the disco and put my purse on the floor. Quick as lightening, a hand entered the stall from under the door and whisked my purse away! Alarmed, i went out and there was a girl holding my purse and grinning. "To teach you a lesson", she said. I NEVER do that anymore!

S

SDecatur

Jane J. said:
I've seen drunk men have their wedding rings sucked right off their fingers...

Once I was in the bathroom stall at the disco and put my purse on the floor. Quick as lightening, a hand entered the stall from under the door and whisked my purse away! Alarmed, i went out and there was a girl holding my purse and grinning. "To teach you a lesson", she said. I NEVER do that anymore!

I had the exact same thing happen to my flight bag while "sitting" in a stall at Boston's Logan Airport. It's not like you can jump up and chase them!!!!!

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
One reason given for stopping public hangings in Jamaica was because of all the pickpockets that would come out of the woodwork.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
See these mfers even ruin good old fashion rope dancing,on amore serious side hopefully everyone will learn alittle something i know i for one will never even leave my wallet in my pants anymore while sitting in public restrooms
J.H.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, janeJ, the "visuals" on that story were really funny and sort of risqu?......

HB

D

Dubld

Don't forget about the purse hanging over the back of the chair trick.........
In restaurants the thief will position himself behind the victim (you) to be able to rifle through your handbag while you are engaged in conversation. When you go to pay, you can't!

And yes this happened to me but ONCE and only ONCE!

Also do not hang stuff on the hook on the back of the stall door. Another grab n go specialty...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Saw the purse over the chair pick-pocket attempt in Italy. Hubby was watching and notified the purse owner in English. She got lucky....the pick-pocket dropped the wallet which had her passport and money in it!
Caught the thief in the back pocket act in France. Ya shoulda seen his face when he realized he'd been caught with a fistful of Kleenex!! :)
Gave the "evil eye" to a couple others in Switzerland and Egypt who were paying to close attention to members of our little group and they backed off quickly.
But the worst was getting mugged in Juan Dolio for a small under the shoulder bag that had only my cigarettes and house keys in it. Two guys on foot- one with a machete and a third bringing up the rear in the get-a-way car at 9:pM at night. I now have an inside zippered pocket in all my slacks and skirts to carry cash and key and I carry my smokes in my hand.........