Carrying cabbage

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Please advise the best way to carry 5k$ to DR to deposit. Cash, travelers checks?
Thanks

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I brought the whole wad in cash many times but since I don't pay for travelers checks I have been bringing them lately. No probs either way.

They will even take a paper check unless you don't want a paper trail.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Cash is very negotiable, but it puts your safety at risk. If it is lost or stolen, you're up the creek without a paddle. Traveler's checks would be a wiser choice. Or.... you could set up the account in the D.R. and wire transfer the money. Regards, PJT

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
You'd no lesser lose an envelope with US$5000 than you would your passport. Have you ever lost your passport in your lifetime?

If you get robbed, you will lose it. Have you ever been robbed? What do you think the chances are that you'll get robbed while having this somewhere amongst your things and the robber will take it?

That about sums up your chances of being parted from your money if you just bring it in an envelope.

Incidentally, I was robbed about 5 years ago in Newark airport on my way to Santo Domingo and I had US$10,000 in valuables plus US$5000 in cash on me. They stole my carry-on while I was checking in, with two friends watching the luggage and not noticing. A little bit of creativity Home-Owners insurance paid me for almost all of the loss - I may have even made out since certain electronic devices were only available in newer and better models and my insurance paid replacement costs. They don't cover cash.

Last edited:

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
Jerry, US dollars are best because you can exchange it for Pesos at a money exchange such as Western Union and get the best rate. You can then deposit the Pesos in the DR bank if your looking for a Peso acct.

Pesos, AMEX travelers checks and USD will be accepted by the banks for a Peso acct. You will get a bit lesser exchange rate from the bank than the money exchanges.

For a USD acct in DR all of the above as well as a check on a US bank will be accepted at least by Baniteer bank. They will hold up the US check for probably 60 days to ensure clearance.

If you are a member of AAA AMEX travelers checks are free up to $7500.

GNYC