JARABACOA TRAGEDY: why the investigation?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Grief stricken relatives of the Jarabacoa bus tragedy victims are demanding a detailed investigation, according to this morning's Cadena de Noticias (CDN) programs. I'm confused, can someone help me understand the purpose of the investigation? Surely, most know the accident involves the all too common combination of unskilled and reckless drivers and poor road conditions. What really confuses me is what would the result of any fault finding be? Will relatives of the victims from Los Alcarizzos sue the bus owner for damages?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The driver was Drunk as well!

The unfortunate students may share some of the blame,iy was reported today that they were "Rowdy",God knows what that could include in the DR!The parents will ask the government for a house to console them in their moment of grief! CRIS

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Apparently:
There was alcohol involved
There was school pressure to go on the trip
That curve is utterly famous, at the end of a long downgrade that is well marked and has signs to use low gear.
The vehicle probably had brake failure
The vehicle maybe had transmission problems
The kids were boisterous

Any and all of these were contributory factors to the tragedy.

HB

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
That's right, why investigate?

First of all, the parents are responsible for their deaths. They let them go. They know travelling in these buses is fatal. The parents should be prosecuted for negligence.

Second, when you overload any vehicle in that area, your brakes have no other choice but fail. I have great experience with that curve. It is very dangerous, but with a vehicle working properly you can easily handle it. Every vehicle going up once you reach your destination will have a burnt smell because of the steepness. This road is made for 4 x 4's with good rear capacity.

As you drive down you must use first gear on automatics to save your brakes. Since I drive 6 speed my first gear and clutch would do marvels with that curve. That bus must have weight three times its capacity, besides driver negligence and the rest.

In private schools, most parents would supervise trips very carefully and many would not let their children travel in these trips. Others take their kids using their own vehicles or working with the organizers.

This was a case of "take my kids so I can have a nice weekend by myself and my wife" They paid dearly.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Even if what you say were true,and it is not!

The loss of these young lives leaves me sad.They were all poor kids who wanted to get out of the shacks where they live for a little fun.I,m sure the houses were still full with lots of brothers and sisters.Their parents probably didn't think anything when asked if the kids could go away for the day.If having stupid parents means that you deserve to die,then your son is lucky to be alive today!!!CRIS

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Golo is not entirely wrong but this road and that curve are not that steep or dangerous if you drive correctly.
I've never seen a cop on this road anywhere, not that that would save anyone's life.
I wouldn't be suprised that the driver was drunk as reported.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
If having stupid parents means that you deserve to die,then your son is lucky to be alive today!!!CRIS
OMG, that was, like, the funniest thing you've ever said...

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
here are some facts you ought to know

Althought not yet published, it has been reported that the school these kids attended hired a journeyman(motoconchista-concho) driver as a cheap alternative for this trip. The bus belonged to a company owned by a single person who had other buses and it remains to be seen wether the bus carried insurance.

A fellow worker mentioned that the driver was not a drinker. However he stated that the driver had never driven in that area and that their real destination was La Vega, but they got bored and could not find a swimming location in town and decided to go to Jarabacoa.

I still hold to the idea that the parents bear a great deal of responsibility for not checking out what was going on with this trip. I am pretty sure, most of them did not show up at the school the hour and date the bus departed to verify things. It is a cultural thing among the poor, but many poor parents are very responsible and would not allow their children into a situation like this.

The debacle probably began at the top of the first hill next to Alpes Dominicanos, where the road begins to take a steep downhill direction. The bus most probably accelerated slightly at a moment and the momentum forced it into a free fall. The driver had to avoid or crashed into the embankment sideways and overturned. Otherwise, the bus would have gone strightforward into the "blackhole" and all would have perished.

It is also common for large rocks to fall from the side of the hills. This was not a factor, nor was the weather.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"To Little,Too Late"!

But I guess it is ok,because "Poor People" don't love there kids as much as "Rich People"! ..All "Rich People" know that! .....Maybe their "Jepetta" was broken down the day the kids left,so they couldn't go to the school to check out the bus and bus driver.You are right,they should have chartered a "Caribe Tours Bus",they are air-conditioned,and only a few thousand pesos more! "Bad Parents!".....They should all be "RICH"!..Cris

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
My vote for responsible party goes to the driver, whatever his economic profile may have been.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Criss

You are absolutely right!! Poor people ride off security concerns. To them death and accidents are a fact of life. They take their chances so they can play dominoes and drink beer.

This is not a generalization. Many poor families would not dream of letting their children on these trips because they know the consequences. There is not a single security measure in any of these trips. The parents know it and leave it to ignorance. Its their fault. Let them suffer.

TW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While, like most people, feel great sadness at this terrible happening, the blame can probably be placed on the inexperienced driver.

Dominicans, in general, do not yet know how to drive on highways, much less on a mountain. This is not dissing the whole country, just stating what it is a fact for all to behold-any highway, any time.. Like it or not.

This makes trips like this all the more dangerous. Legislation won't change anything.

HB, not dancing here...