is it possible to...??

travelgirl

Oct 30, 2002
Hey there, i was just wondering if is it possible for the locals to buy day passes to come into the resorts?? If so does anyone know the approx. cost ?? Is it very expensive?? Do they get a room and get to stay for the night or what time do they have to leave by?? When they do this is their food and booze included??
Thanks for any info.

debs

Jun 10, 2002
It's possible for the locals to stay at the resorts. When I was in Puerto Plata in August, my friends from Santo Domingo came up and spent 3 nights at Jack Tar Village with me. I believe they paid $99 USD/night/person. I would assume the same hotel policies apply as it would for any hotel guest. I believe your friend would be issued his/her own room unless you booked one room together at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Debs

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Most resorts do offer day passes which provide you access to most of their facilities. Food and House Booze is usually included but you will need to pay extra for water sports. There's no overnight stay or access to a rooms. The ones that I've been to are usually to 5pm but that varies from resort to resort. You can expect to pay between DR$400 to DR$800 per person.

Did you have a particular resort in mind?

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Occidental/Allegro have day passes available for 400rd,this gives you food and drinks from morning until 6 pm,if you wish to buy an evening pass for shows and evening buffet its approximatly the same rate:cool:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Hamaca has a plan like this

travelgirl said:
Hey there, i was just wondering if is it possible for the locals to buy day passes to come into the resorts?? If so does anyone know the approx. cost ?? Is it very expensive?? Do they get a room and get to stay for the night or what time do they have to leave by?? When they do this is their food and booze included??
Thanks for any info.

You can buy a day pass for an obscene price thouogh you have the run of the place for the day. Of course anyone locals included can pay for a room per person and use the resort and eat and drink there though outside a package it is no great deal.

Allegedly they also have just dinner buffet passes but when we tired to ask for those they said no, now I hear they say yes but it islike $25 US and for Boca Chica RD$500 buys a lot of food and beverages outside Hamaca.

Musica

Mar 19, 2002
I was in Bayahibe in October and a friend from the DR visited for one day / night. The cost was RD$995 - full run of the resort.

travelgirl

Oct 30, 2002
day passes

thanks for all the replies
yeah DRtechie i'm going to be staying at the superclub breezes, so this would be were we'd need the day pass for, i was just wondering if this would be a better idea or if it would be cheaper to just stay in sosua or cabarete.
Thanks again for all teh replies

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Take it from a gringo whos been here a long time and spent a shit load of years working in all inclusive resorts,its not only a lot cheaper to stay in non all in resorts but a hell of a lot more fun and culturally stimulating.:cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Great answer Johnny!....Especially if you have , ahem, "friends" coming to stay over...

HB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I always make sure I have the ahem "geusts" situation straightened out ahead of time..I never stay at AI's.
Larry

D

Dubld

agree 100%.....avoid AI resorts and avoid a lot of hassle and additional expense. On one of my first visits I was 'busted' for hanging out with a 'friend'. Harrassed by the front desk, knocks on the door etc etc.....and this was over someone that is familiar to the hotel staff (in a good way).
The resort security took him into the men's room and tried to plant some stuff in his pockets. punched him and dragged him off to the police station, where he knew the Sargeant and was immediately released-no apologies from any one.

I had also paid a single supplement to be there alone and they wanted extra cash for a 'guest'. B.S. You even encounter this when using time share.

All my next visits were to smaller hotels where there was no problems.

Hope you have a good time wherever you stay.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: Hamaca has a plan like this

ricktoronto said:
and for Boca Chica RD$500 buys a lot of food and beverages outside Hamaca.

3 meals and a day's beverages runs me significantly more if I eat all 3 meals at restaurants. I think if you use the A/I facilities like the pool or see a show at night and really eat and drink to be merry for a day, it's a good deal.

travelgirl

Oct 30, 2002
guest's at all in's

thanks again for all the replies, i guess I 'll leave it up to him whether he'd rather stay at the hotel or in a nearby city.
He's paying so its his choice, i've just been trying to get info for him since he lives in punta cana.

The one thing i don't get is Dubld said that her guest got kicked out how would they even know that he was there?>?? I understand if they were walking around the resort, but they came knocking on your door, ouch!!

Well i'm trying to get my guest situation sorted before hand so that none of this stuff happens to me.
Thanks again

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Jimmy old sausage <---pun........

Jim Hinsch said:

3 meals and a day's beverages runs me significantly more if I eat all 3 meals at restaurants. I think if you use the A/I facilities like the pool or see a show at night and really eat and drink to be merry for a day, it's a good deal.

The $25US/$RD500 was just for going for one (!) buffet meal ( I assume with whatever Presidentes or Cuba Libres you can swallow). The day pass is much more than that.

Now that I think of it RD$500 would pay easy for 3 meals @ 100 each and quite a few drinks in Boca Chica.

We were (el Rey and I) going to go for the buffet when we were told (by a guy who was wrong, as it turns out) it was $17US but the concierge looked at us like we were bumpkins right off the turnip truck.

They did tell us of the all day pass for as I recall RD$1,000 or so ? I forget but more than we'd pay for sure as we just wanted to try dinner.

We have since found an all the meat you can eat place in Boca Chica - plus 5 salad and bread , Sundays only for RD$120. Steak, chops, pork loin, sausage, chicken. Once a week is lots.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: guest's at all in's

travelgirl said:
The one thing i don't get is Dubld said that her guest got kicked out how would they even know that he was there?>?? I understand if they were walking around the resort, but they came knocking on your door, ouch!!

Guests don't have the wristband of the week that paying customers do - they will spot them (coming in or whatever), more concern over wining and dining on the cuff than doing something else with meat products ( e.g. hiding salamis) in private. If they are Dominican and you are a gringo/a it ain't hard to notice that combo, really.

Be aware that if you want a sleeping over type guest you will genreally be rquired to register and pay for them per night. Often if you are on a package the guest fee is more per day than you are paying, double or triple. Hamaca is like $60 US a night at times per the extra person.

D

Dubld

This happened to me at what used to be the Holiday Inn (I forget what it was called when I was there) waaay back before everything was AI....I had paid a single supplement for room only, all meals and drinks a la carte, as were most places with the exeption of Jack Tar Village. No wrist bands - just some a-hole security dude that saw us the second time round. First time in no one noticed.

So it was nothing to do with the food and beverage aspect. Management claimed it was for my own safety. Please! I never did complain about the missing lingerie or the baseball hats the maid stole.

My friend wrote it off to Security Guard Number 2 being jealous and had to riun the fun.

As an aside-I have been really saddened by what the AI mentality has done to Puerto Plata.....so many excellent restaurants and other business gone. All before the economy took a dive.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
The old holiday inn is now Playa Dorada beach resort,all hotels have a policy about registering guests even in the us though they are more lenient thats why the rates are published as single,double,triple,etc,in the D.R. it is true that security is a concern,not for physical safety so much as anti theft,you must remember family oriented resorts dont really want horny people bringing in a different person every night,use cabanas or register your guests the rules are fairly clear

D

Dubld

Sure, but when I had paid an additional $300 for the room because I was travelling alone, paying extra for a guest is not an option since I was already paying the double rate. In addition, they had no business harassing me the way they did with phone calls, someone coming to my door....(and this was all at 5pm) and then basically cornering my friend (and he was the ONLY friend for the two weeks and many more after). So it was not 'a family oriented' establishment with me dragging some sanki home every night.

The situation was handled badly and I hope that no one experiences this the way I did.