pre paid cell phones?

Birdie

Jul 31, 2002
pre-pay, yes! ...depending. Additional question

Hi!

I just tried to post a reply that didn't show up, so I'm trying again. Disregard if it's a repeat.

Yes pre-pay cell phones work there, as my boyfriend in the DR was prepaying. It may not work on phones that you bring in from outside the country however, as I tried to prepay that way and it didn't work for me. (I'm no technological wizard, though!) If you are visiting, adn want to be able to make calls or call home, you can also get inexpensive calling cards (Codetel) at most colmados (corner stores) for use on payphones or home phones. Codetel also has calling stations in the city and at most average sized towns and toursist centers... When I lived in the DR I used the cards and also I took them home with me, as they were cheaper than the international calling plans offered back home. Of course, nobody can call YOU with those, so it's only a partial help. That's all I know about cell phones, there , so maybe someone else can fill in the blanks. I will say that I saw more up to date phone technology being morec ommonly used in SAnto Domingo than I did at home, so will likely find that telephon e technology that you want is available. Electricity, on the other hand...

I also have a cell phone questions that maybe somebody can answer as they answer yours, as an add on!

How much is cell phone service in the DR? Are you required to purchase on e of their cell phones? Are prepay phones the better deal? Who has the best plans?

Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Pre Paid Cells

Birdie said:

I also have a cell phone questions that maybe somebody can answer as they answer yours, as an add on!

How much is cell phone service in the DR? Are you required to purchase on e of their cell phones? Are prepay phones the better deal? Who has the best plans?

Thanks

I bought a good Qualcomm phone, originally from Atlantic Bell for US$100 delivered to Boca Chica , from a American guy in Santo Domingo. You just buy calling cards from RD$30 to RD$300 and load them from time to time. Good for 60-90 days and you can still receive calls if expired for up to 60 more as I recall. You do not pay to recieve calls unlike Canada/ USA.

This is Codetel service - there are others, particularly GSM phones with Orange. I have a Mitsubishi GSM pay per call phone here in Canada, at some point I might try to see if it can be activated there.

The cost per call varies wildly - example I called *22 to check my balance: 348.6 pesos. Called American Airlines in Santo Domingo, local 542 or 524 number. Talked for 5 minutes.

Checked *22 after the call. Had 355.0 pesos. So minus 6.4 pesos per 5 minutes in that case. In reality some minutes especially cell to cell (and Codetel to non Codetel) are pretty expensive, maybe 4-5 pesos per minute.

Some USA/Canada phones can be activated in DR - the guys at phone shops are pretty good. CDMA digital, GSM phones usually, TDMA phones not at all as there is no network.

You see a LOT of Sprint PCS phones used by locals on Codetel.

If you do not live there and have exemplary credit you will not get pay by a monthly bill service at all so expect to use pay as you go with the calling cards.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It depends how much time you spend in the DR. If you live there you are better off on a monthly plan. If you go every other month like I do, you are better off with prepay.

Codetel uses only Sprints CDMA and GSM is for Orange.

I just got that phone that works with the camera for sprint in the states and I am going to bring it down with me and light it up with Codetel on a pay in advance basis. Should make me popular with all the gals when I take their pictures and show it to them:)

I have a GSM phone hooked up with Orange that I just don't like.

Regards

Martin

Mar 8, 2002
me too...but it works

I have a Verizon cell phone from New Jersey and took it to the DR my last trip (returned yesterday) and had Codatel activate the 'second number' feature on the phone. I go to the DR, switch the phone over to the second number (my DR number) and voila! it works like a charm. Ok, it took me three hours and four trips to Codatel to do it but it works!

Nice having communication. Know how many colmado phone don't allow calls to cell numbers? (in the hundreds!!)

Your phone may have the second number feature, I didn't even know my Startac did. Great feature.

Martin

PS, it even worked when I landed in JFK yesterday!!