Car Buying

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We are going to be living in the DR (Cabarete Area) in about a week's time and need to buy two cars.

We are looking for used vehicles, suv type or jeep type vehicles or a pick-up truck. Obviously we want to spend as little as possible.

Maybe someone on the forum can refer us to a reliable seller or maybe you know of something going.

Thanks
Chris

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Reliable car sellers in the Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata area??? - Doubtfull. I would suggest you go down to Santiago with someone who knows cars, take the day to look round all the dealers there & inspect anything that LOOKS as though it would surfice for you. Depends on age & condition of course, but you should be looking to spend RD $150,000 plus for a 6 year old SUV. Anything less than that & you will be paying repair bills on a very regular basis!!

If you are interested in a reliable 4 ltr. Jeep Cherokee 1989, I will be selling mine in about two weeks time. I am only looking for RD $60,000 for that though!! - Grahame.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
What's the average cost of an engine overhaul in the DR? I find that amount to be a good objective measure for cost/benefit comparisons between higher priced cars and less reliable cars that cost less.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
To price an "engine overhaul", you must first define it. Does it mean simply to change the piston rings? Does it mean checking all major internal engine parts for wear and replacing those showing significant wear? Does it mean replacing all "wear-out" parts? Also, who is doing it?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As soon as you get here, get a Listin Diario. Go to the classifieds. Get a feel for prices.

Ask your friends. You will certainly have to come to Santiago for the best bargains. If you will e-mail me, I can see if my "guy" knows of any good opportunities. they do aboound if you just look around.

engine overhaul? Why? Just pick up a new - used engine at any of the many places...Maybe $1500US?? ZMaybe less if you know how to diddle a bit.

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks for all the engine overhaul info - but please, I don't want to do one of these overhaul thingies. I'm just a software engineer - I don't do hardware, I don't do cables, and I don't do engine overhaul stuff - and always thought diddlin' was something that is better done in private :).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
then when you get off the plane get a Listin Diario and start making phone calls. Go to Santiago and look around the many car lots. Caveat Emptor, since there are no "Lemon Laws" here

Diddle means to 'deal' in the hill of Appalachia..."I done diddled me a good mule"

HB

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Unless you feel comfortable dealing with mechanical problems, my advice would be to not consider anything over 5 years old and nothing over 3 or 4 years old that has not received very good care. Sorry, but Dominicans are not notorious for doing vehicle maintenance and the roads don't help.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hi Chris,

A friend at Rockys Bar/Restaurant in Sosua has a place he takes people to for cars in Moca. It is on the road from Cabarete to Santiago on the right and it is big. Sorry I don't know the name but...

Give marco a call or email him at Rockysbluesbar@hotmail.com and tell him Scott asked you to speak to him. He will accommodate you with help since we are friends and I mule crap for him from Duty Free:)

He will actually help anyone that asks without even mentioning my name just on the hope you will come into his place for dinner!:) He is a great guy and very helpful to strangers.