moving to D.R.

freddylj

Nov 8, 2002
I am planing to relocate to D.R. I am a U.S. citizen with a wife, children and a dog. I will be working for an american company.

Questions:

1) Is there an U.S. acredited school in Santo Domingo?
2) Is taking household goods and a U.S. registered car bad ideas.?
3) How is the whether, is it hot and humid?
4) What type of visa do I need, and is it difficult to obtain.
5) What about food, how about supply and availabilty of fruits and vegetables.
6) Are there enclosed residential areas.?

De antemano agradesco cualquier respuesta.

Freddy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
freddylj said:
I am planing to relocate to D.R. I am a U.S. citizen with a wife, children and a dog. I will be working for an american company.

Questions:

1) Is there an U.S. acredited school in Santo Domingo?
2) Is taking household goods and a U.S. registered car bad ideas.?
3) How is the whether, is it hot and humid?
4) What type of visa do I need, and is it difficult to obtain.
5) What about food, how about supply and availabilty of fruits and vegetables.
6) Are there enclosed residential areas.?

De antemano agradesco cualquier respuesta.

Freddy

1) Yes, several. Carol Morgan is most famous.
2) So-so. Get a good freight forwarder/Customs broker. Ask you company if they will take care of moving expenses. Costs to bring a car here. Might be better to store your stuff there.
3) Yes, in Santo Domingo
4) Your company should be able to tell you that. Most people don't bother with it for just a year. You'll buy a tourist vcard o upon entry, pay a little fine on leaving. OH YES!, no Resident Visa, no household goods-I think that's right
5) We are in the tropics for Christ's sake!! We have everything-Except peaches apricots. You can get anything at the supermarket. Just opened one up after we came down from the trees...

6) Some. Why, afraid to mix with the "natives"????

HB

freddylj

Nov 8, 2002
Not realy afraid to mix with the natives but coming from Mexico city it is a required question.

Where in D.R. is not hot and humid, does Carol Morgan exists in any of those places if any

Thanks,

Freddy

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Where is the company that you will be working at located? I assume you will live near your work so may not have a choice of living near the mountains where things may be a little cooler. It is very hot and humid in Santo Domingo. Do a search here for schools or other living in the DR questions. There is some real sensible information. Most houses and apartments in Santo Domingo have locked gates in front. Good Luck

freddylj

Nov 8, 2002
Basicaly I will dictate where I will work from based on
schooling, housing and climatic conditions.
How far are the mountains from Santo Domingo?

Excuse my total ignorance on D.R. my assignment just came up, never been there or even thought of being there.

Regards,

Freddy

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Freddy

Unless you stay in Santo Domingo or Santiago, the only American schools left are in tourist areas like Puerto Plata, Sosua(rather small towns and far from real life and civilization.

For a more complete education you must stay in Santo Domingo or Santiago. Just so you know Carol Morgan School, the best and most complete american school costs overall in excess of US$20,000 a year when you compute tuition, books, uniforms, fees, trips, transportation, and yes even christmas gifts for all teachers. Your children must go thru a period of adjustment unlike any if you are not a rich person. The kids in this school are all millionaires and spoiled like rats. So spoiled that teachers at this school are given free scholarships for two children and many opt to pay at another school because even with free tuition they cannot keep up with our little "arab sheiks". I graduated at Carol Morgan and I am still involved, so I know.

You must also live nearby the school and if that is the case, be prepared for rents exceeding US$1000 in the smallest of apartments. More reaslisticly $US 2000 and up in the Bella Vista, Cacicazgos, Piantini and Mirador Norte. Enclosed neighborhoods in that area are in excess of US$450,000 for townhouses.

Another school The Montefiori is in the same neighborhood. Not as costly for in the same league. There are no cheap American Schools. The St. George School in Piantini is bilingual.

TW

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
If you decide to set your sights on a remote location, consider home schooling. There are numerous curriculums available -some even offering video tutoring. If you want your kids to learn spanish and don't mind them being set back a year or so, perhaps a spanish/english school would be an option. As has been noted here and in other places on this board, there are some English schools of which Carol Morgan is probably the most famous in Santo Domingo. Santiago Christian might be the most popular in Santiago.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you can pick any place to live, try Santiago. You have good education, good things to do, good social life unless you live behind closed doors, safety, unless you go down the street with chains and rings and thyngs
Dryer and a bit cooler than Santo Domingo. But like Dominicans say: That's where they sign the checks.

HB
Oh yeah. This place is nothing like Mexico. Nothing. It is a paradise when compared to Mexico. Very serious about this. Come and visit and you'll see.

Last edited:

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Yeah mon
Forget Mexico city these guys are loco,its safe to stop your car at red lights here,you cant even compare this ialand to Mexico,even Santo Domingo is reasonably safe except in the worst barrios.If you lived in Mexico City your kids must speak some spansh there are also some excelent spanish schools here at more reasonable rates.lol
J.H.