Fun fishing experience in POP

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
We had a group of 30 folks down from Ohio at the end of October. They came down to provide service to some Santiago area orphanages and schools we sponsor here. During one of their "free days off", several of the group had a desire to go out deep sea fishing. I chartered a boat out of Maimon Bay ( POP area) and 4 of us (two who had never gone deep sea fishing) went out to see what could be found.

We were out about 15-20 miles, used 5 lines (including downriggers), and were using ballyhoo as baits on all lines. The two that had never been deep sea fishing were given the opportunity of "manning all the rods" so they could reel in the 1st caught fish.

All at once, we found ourselves in the middle of a school of Dorado (dolphin, fish) with two fish "hooked up" simultaneously and "taking out line" . The two gents were estatic to see these fish jumping out of the water and giving quite the show. As they began to reel in the fish, the rest of us reeled in the other lines so that we didn't have a big tangle.

As the 1st fish was brought to the boat, we saw other dolphin following alongside their "hooked" buddy. The second hooked dolphin was also close behind. As he was coming up to the edge of the boat, the captain points to the left side rear of the boat and yells "Marlin!!". I looked down in the water to the right of me and there... right beside the boat... is a very large, beautiful blue marlin.

Instantaneously with the captains yell, the 2nd gentlemans rod does a deep bend and now line is burning off the reel. We initially can't figure out whats happening but come to the realization that the Marlin has taken the 2nd hooked Dorado as a "meal" and does not even realize its "caught". The captain tells the mate to come up and "drive" the boat while he comes down to help.

The captain is practically "wetting his pants" in excitement... likely thinking about bringing this fish into port (even though I had previously indicated to him that we didn't want to bring to shore any large fish in the off chance that we might be lucky enough to catch).

The 1st gentleman wore out after fighting the fish for over 25 minutes and so we placed a second person in the chair ( the gentleman that had hooked and landed the 1st Dorado) to fight the Marlin. After 20 more minutes, the Marlin finally came close to the boat, and must have decided to "open his mouth" from "Dorado indigestion" because suddenly the rod/line went "slack" and from beneath the boat up popped a still hooked (but dead) Dorado ... one that had already begun to be digested!

We all had a good laugh over that...even the captain and mate. I was real pleased we were able to have the opportunity to "fight this fish" without having to see it harmed.

We were able to finish off the day by having a few more small hookups with some mackerel (carite ). All in all...a fun adventure that will always be fondly remembered.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good report. Do you have information on who to contact and how to do so in order to arrange a charter? We often get people posting on the board their questions about arranging fishing trips. Anything you can provide in the way of contact information will be helpful.
fisch035.gif

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Hi Ken,

Yes I do. I am more than happy to send the info/tel #'s/costs/ to folks. The trick is that some of the captains I know only speak Spanish (like the captain we used in POP). Therefore, contact to arrange the charter is tricky unless you speak Spanish. I know you do Ken, but others would have a tough time without some "help".

In addition, I have been trying to locate Captain Rob...has anyone here on the board been in communication with him lately? The area where he is fishing out of is awesome....the Manzanillo area is replete with great fishing and I want to see if he has his "operation" in full swing.

Best, Dave