Progress, Dogs, Chickens and a Peacock

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks for all the help from everyone on the forum so far.

OK, I now know how to buy a car (or a mule) when we arrive in the DR within the next few days. We've rented a nice house from a lovely German lady in a small village outside of Cabarete and the new business setup and paperwork is proceeding with the help of a good attorney. Spanish lessons are proceeding and I can even have a short conversation now in Spanish. I've also made a number of "provisional" friends on the forum. (The provisional status will disappear once I meet these friends in person I'm sure). Life is good!

Now I need a nice dog and a couple of chickens and a Peacock. I will be looking for a younger perra/o that can grow up with us a little - I'm not fussy about type of dog as long as it will grow to be grande. The chickens must provide us with fresh farm laid eggs daily and the Peacock I simply want.

What do you all say about that!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are a lot of dogs in the DR looking for homes. I sometimes see people standing along the highway in Sosua holding up puppies they want to get rid of.

In Sosua there is a group of women that take a special interest in stray and homeless dogs. They might be able to help you find what you are looking for. Since you haven't activated your PM or Email button, click on one of mine and send me a PM or Email. I'll respond with the email address of someone who might be able to help you.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
hee hee your post made me smile :).

There are so many dogs around that need good homes, please take any one that strikes your fancy and rehabilitate him. They are really good dogs once they have someone to care for them. Ask HB about this, I know he has one. One dog at a time, people, we will save them all.

Chickens? Also pretty easy to find... I would just ask anyone around when you get there where you could find some chickens. If you are driving around the campo you will surely see someone willing to part with some.

Un ave real? Solo te deseo suerte porque no los he visto alla para nada. Maybe a resort has them walking around for decoration and you could steal one???? Just a thought.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I have seen a peacock (pavo real?) in Sosua. A Cuban guy who lived along the calle sin salida had one. Not sure where he got it though....

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pavo Real, janeJ, pavo real....
yes they are available but you will need wading boots to walk around your yard. they crap all over the place, and big turds, too.

If you want it for security purposes, they are excellent "guard birds" I would suggest that you try guinea hens. they are smaller and make a lot of racket when anyone comes to the house....

HB

P.S. For a dog, get in touch with gillin.n@codetel.net.do. Tell her Hillbilly sent you. She will get you a good one.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
I think you can find peacocks for sale on Autopista Duarte, between Santiago and La Vega .... or for that matter any other type of bird.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jojocho is right about peacocks-they should be called shitcocks really. Dirtiest bird i have ever seen....

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I've had Peacocks - on a large farm in Africa where I hail from originally (lots of space to spread the muck!). The house that we're moving into has large grounds around it and is quite in the countryside. I believe we are inheriting a gardener as well. So, I still insist on having a Peacock - doodoo and all.

So, one day when I complain about having to have a shit-clean-up-party - you can say you told me so! Just think of the satisfaction ;)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Peacock, the shitbird

The peacock is a wonderful bird and the most colorful one seen in DR. My father used to have one in his old farm. You need a farm to grow this bird. This is definetly not a backyard pet.

I am surprised you didn't go for the typical cotorra. Everybody has one. Yet they are on the verge of extinction. Pericos are in even worse shape.

TW

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tell me about these bird? what they look like and how large they are? their characteristics? I don't recognize the names. Some people are dog-lovers - I like birds. One day, in a future lifetime, I'll have a bird farm!