landing lights

ann brown

Aug 25, 2002
i was told that the landing lights at the el portillo airport in samana are out are going to be out some time can someone tell me if this is true and how long will they be out for because our flight which arrive on dec.18 is an evening arrival in pop and we were told we have to take the bus to samana which we are not looking forward to thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Don't worry, I'm sure someone nearby will be able to answer this for you.

If the lights are not working, I sure they have a backup system. Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If possible, contact your hotel and ask them to find this out for you. Being there, they would be in a good position to get the correct information.

Having lived in Samana for many years, I am not at all sure there is a backup system for the landing lights. The El Portillo airport is quite small and it handles only small planes, no commercial airliners. I doubt very much they have the backup systems that are found at commercial airports handling regularly scheduled flights for the airlines.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get a night at Sofy's B&B, rent a car and drive out there the next day. don't mess with luck..
Enjoy

hreis735

Nov 17, 2002
El Portillo is open sunrise to sunset only.
There are no landing lights.
Runway length is 2900 feet.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm not surprised that there are no landing lights. I was surprised to read your post, Ann, and learn there might be.

What bus are they talking about? Is the resort sending a bus? There is no other bus service direct to El Portillo/Las Terrenas.

hreis735

Nov 17, 2002
If you arrive Puerto Plata at night ask hotel to send a cab to meet your flight. Cab is about $90.00 US. Cheaper araangements can be made the next day. Bus to Samana then Gagua to Las Terrenas.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As hreis indicates, it is possible to take a bus most of the way, but this bus only goes once a day a 7 am from Puerto Plata and 7:30 from Sosua. After clearing customs, take a taxi to Sosua and stay over night. In the morning, have a taxi take you to the Caribe Tour terminal, arriving at the terminal before 7:30 am. You would stay on this bus to Sanchez, the last stop before Samana, then take a guagua from there to Las Terrenas/El Portillo. This guagua may be a pickup truck.

A more comfortable option would be to stay over night in Sosua, then take a taxi to El Portillo the next morning. More expensive than the bus/guagua, but much simpler for someone making their first trip to the area. Flying to El Portillo in the morning would be even faster.

I'd start by contacting your hotel and find out what they have in mind, then make your decision.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Their is no Guagua at Night

Their is not Gugua from Sanchez to Las Terrenas at the night fro of 7:00PM o a little bid later/earlyer, the best you can go to our Region Samana (Las Terrenas) is departing in the morning from your hotel to Sanchez and then take a guagua to Las Terrenas

Their is no direct bus from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas

you get the bus from Puerto Plata to Samana and then a guagua to Las Terrenas, you ask the driver to stop at the PARADA DE LAS TERRENAS