Please explain

Pierre47

Nov 14, 2002
Was looking last minute deals, could get Coral Marien at $750.00 CDN end of November. I then check for airfare only, was asking almost $600.00 CDN. I would like to try something different than AI but at those prices. I'm I missing something?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yeah.....the companies that charter the planes buy "blocks" of hotel rooms. So if you're only looking for a ride down ya gotta pay "full" fare!! That way the company doesn't take a loss on the rooms they've already paid for!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Maybe a larger difference is more typical...

Pierre47 said:
Was looking last minute deals, could get Coral Marien at $750.00 CDN end of November. I then check for airfare only, was asking almost $600.00 CDN. I would like to try something different than AI but at those prices. I'm I missing something?

Wait until the Sunday to Tuesday before you go and the air fare if seats remain unsold, drop too. Still even an inferior AI for $150 is worth it just to use as a restaurant each day if the food is any good and you could still get a room in a place elsewhere.

Plus the bus ride to and fro will usually be part of the fare , that might be $20 to $50 depending on where the hell Coral Marien actually is. (e.g what city/airport).

Now is it only $150?

Nov 30th is $839 for a typical package vs. $479 for air only to La Romana Airport.

Nov 23rd packages are $739 and air is down to $369. And so it goes. Your $600 air only seems high thus making the difference look like a lot. La Romana and PP air only both are $379 thru Signature. On the 23rd.

So is even CDN$370 ($240 US) difference good for AI a week? Still cheap for 7 hots and a cot. Other than you are in an AI of course.

I check www.belairtravel.com for this sort of thing - while I don't fly charter or stay AI it is the best Toronto site I have seen since you put in a date and if there is nothing, it at least offers all the other dates they have something - many other sites make you enter date after date after date.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
On a side note....while waiting at Pearson Int'l airport in Toronto last Sat morning.....last minutes seats on the flights departing that day for air only were going for $175.
We almost jumped ship and came down.....if only the grandkids weren't expecting us back that day we woulda!! Didn't want to get dis-owned after having been away almost 6 weeks!!! :)