Coral Marien 11/09/02

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
November 2002
We just returned home from a week at the Coral Marien. In general it was one of the best vacations that we have taken in our 55 years.

We arrived at the Puerto Plata airport from JFK in N.Y. about twenty minutes early; customs and immigration was a breeze. We didn't have as much trouble with the people trying to carry our bags as we have had previously had at the Santo Domingo Airport. Caught a van type cab to the Marien $20.00 US it' s about a 25minute ride to the resort. Check in was very smooth and quick. There were four of us, myself, Joanne, my wife, and friends Michael and Wendy who were our guests as we are members of the Coral Vacation club. We were taken to our two, one bedroom suits by tram. It was only one P.M. and we were all settled in.

Beach and Pool
The beach is rather small, in my opinion but is kept very clean with plenty of shade huts and palm trees. Pool is were we spent most of our time and I must say it is absolutely magnificent! Every day we played pool basketball, volleyball, and water polo, had a blast. When doing these things remember to wear water shoes, I didn't and tore up the balls of my feet. The pool is open from 8AM until 8PM but people were in there later and nothing was said.

Food
Food at the buffet was varied and well presented. We all agreed that the food was better than we expected. Breakfast was excellent with many choices of fruits, made to order omelets and eggs, bacon, sausages, and French toast, pancakes and many assorted breads and rolls. Dominican coffee is strong and one of my favorites, I bring back home as much coffee as my luggage will allow me to stuff in. Lunch and dinner are also very good with many choices. Dinner usually has a theme like Mexican or Caribbean. The Mexican restaurant (reservations are required) that is part of the all-inclusive package is great! We ate there twice and both times the food and service were superb! There is also a snack bar, when Mexican rest is closed that offers French fries, hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, and fruits and salads plus other items from the buffet. The snack bar is open all night plus most of the day. We were very pleased with everything!

Staff
Now this is what makes a vacation, the people! I can't say enough about the Chocolate Friends, their energy, skills and most of all there friendly personalities made our trip as enjoyable as it was. Also the other guests were friendly and contributed greatly to our trip. Chris and Janine from Long Island was a couple that we met and became instant friends with plus many others. Michael and Wendy (our guests) liked the Coral Marien so much that they bought a vacation club package. We have had ours for three years and have never regretted purchasing it.

Tours
We, all six of us, did the quad runner tour. Had a blast going all over the countryside on our individual four wheelers. We went through many rural villages and it was amazing how poor, but happy the people are. Tour is approx. three hours with stops for a soda, a swim in the river, and at the beach. We must have covered around forty miles on our trip. Chris and Janine did the snorkeling trip and the catamaran day trip and said both were fun and worth the money. The quads and the catamaran were $55.00US P/P.

We had a great week with great friends new, and old and can't wait to return the end of Feb. If you have any questions or comments or would like to see the photos from this trip feel free to e-mail me at jblersch@optonline.net

Last edited:

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
inappropriate comment

Look I am pretty laid back but this is a bit to much "Chocolate Friends" Nice comment if you are looking for enemies or just plain STUPID!!!!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, people...lighten up!

What's wrong with calling the people in the animation team "Chocolate Friends"? I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!

You guys are "tratando de tapar el sol con un dedo"...

Have you ever seen a "Vanilla" friend on an animation team?

The guys are GORGEOUS...AND THEIR SKIN IS CERTAINLY A DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE COLOR!!!

And R&JRivas...do you think they'll change the name if they hear that you'll never go there?

There are more important things to worry about...especially how you treat the "Chocolate Friends" once you are there...if you give them the respect they deserve...that's all that matters!

Just my "dos centavos"...

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002

"Is that what they are really called or is that an uppity New York thing??"
"Nice comment if you are looking for enemies or just plain STUPID!!!!"

First of all I live in Connecticut so I guess it can't be an "uppity N.Y. thing"!
Second I have only rarely been accused of being stupid!

All four of the Coral Resorts call their animation teams the "Chocolate Friends" or "Chocolate" I think it's great to spend time at a place where the color of one's skin is less important than what one has to offer! In my four trips to the D.R. I have not seen any racial bias by the Dominicans.

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
Musicqueen, I should lighten up -- I learned something new today its ok to call people whatever we want just as long as we respect them!

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Stupid is as stupid does...

Anyway, I prefer the cinnamon sisters, but chocolate ain't bad. Only at a DR AI would they come up with something like that. If you were to use that term in the US, Jesse Jackson would be marching in the streets. Sorry, New York John, if I took you for one of those snobs from the Hamptons.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
R&JRivas...I don't see calling the guys from the animation teams "Chocolate Friends" as an insult...

I have seen people insult them when they talk down to them, or treat them as second class citizens...but they can't deny the color of their skin...

And I repeat...I think it's beautiful!!!

Bob...That is the problem with this country...you have to watch every word that comes out of your mouth, if it's not 'POLITICALLY CORRECT' ...Watch out!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The Chocolate Friends is, without a doubt, the stupidest, most asinine name for an animation team, probably ever. Is it an affront to political corectness or to dignity?

It wouldn't make me not go to the hotel, it would just make me snicker and wonder what the thinking was in naming them that.

Last edited:

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
I don?t believe all this dissention over a simple name ?Chocolate Friends?. At the Coral Costa Caribe and the Coral Marien, and I would assume the other two Coral resorts, there are Caucasians, Mexicans, South Americans, and Dominicans on the animation teams. At the Coral Marien the leader (head guy) of the team is French, but guess what, they are all Chocolate Friends regardless of how white, black, brown, or yellow their skin is! Dominicans are a mixture of many races and nationalities and the result of this mixture there are some very, very beautiful women, and handsome men.
John

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
It's still a stupid name, johnsr....

In any case, I really enjoyed your trip report - sounded like a lot of fun!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I gotta admit I really enjoyed your report, and yes, I was taken aback with that so un PC Chocolate Friends name. Coral must be dense!.
That said, I would not get a "wedgie" of it. If they can live with it...
Connecticut? New Milford?....just wondering.....

Anyway, the important thing is that you had a great time, your friends also had a great time and you made new friends, got your "relax", and did a good post. All told, well done.

HB, who, believe it or not, used to be a preppie from new Milford!
farmer.gif

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Well folks you have managed to turn something harmless into a semi serious controversial topic.Coral resorts did not invent the name chocolate friends for its animation team,the name was born several years ago at the Hamaca,when B.H. D.(yes the bank)and la familia Hache(yes from ferreterias Hache)opened the Coral chain,2nd being Costa Caribe,3rd(no longer with Coral)being Heavens Playa Dorada,4th Coral Canoa Bayahibe and last but not least Coral Marien the name was used for all activitys teams in fact they even have a little song and dance show every day pool side with maintenance maids bartenders security staff etc.participating.I was very surprised to see the reactions posted here,the staff of these hotels do not consider this racist in any way and acctually have fun with it and that is what the animation team is paid for.Come on folks ,do you belive that a major player in the hotel industry would be so stupid as to adopt a racist policy(they are big enough thet Hilton Carribean has taken over management,lets see if they see fit to change the name)Get over all this crap and get on with your life.Dominicans dont see themselves as black remember so they wouldnt accept to be called something they they thought was derogatory,this is not North America:confused:

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Mr.JOHNNY HONDA, Thank you for the Coral resorts information! I am waiting to see what changes, if any, Hilton makes in the vacation club, and the operations of the four resorts. Hopefully we will be able to use time at any of the Hilton vacation clubs whithout going through Interville or another time share broker.

Hillbilly, I live in Stratford, born and raised here.

John

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Good luck,I wouldnt hold my breath on that,the price you paid at Coral is a whole lot lower than Hiltons Time Share prices,beside that yours is a block of weeks 25 maybe and Hilton is a real time share,lastly Hilton is taking a management contract so Im not sure they will be involved with the vacation club dept.:cool:
J.H.

L

leonardo1267

As a old member of the Chocolate friends between the years 1992 to 1997 (the first chocolate friends team) I want to let everybody now that in not time we felt offended for being called with this name.

This name was stablished to the animation team by the animation team members. it was not stablished by management whatsoever.

the original team was:

Victor Orrantia, director corporativo de animation
Edgar urena, gerente de animation
leonardo sanchez, director artistico.

I think that anybody that feel offended for such small issue like this , your get a life!!
leonardo sanchez
NY, bronx

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
leonardo1267 said:
As a old member of the Chocolate friends between the years 1992 to 1997 (the first chocolate friends team) I want to let everybody now that in not time we felt offended for being called with this name.

This name was stablished to the animation team by the animation team members. it was not stablished by management whatsoever.

the original team was:

Victor Orrantia, director corporativo de animation
Edgar urena, gerente de animation
leonardo sanchez, director artistico.

I think that anybody that feel offended for such small issue like this , your get a life!!
leonardo sanchez
NY, bronx

Gracias Leonardo
:cool:
Its nice to have an oppinion from one of the persons discused and not having all this tight assed libral bullshit being pushed down our throat.Keep the faith.
J.h.:bandit: