Considering work in the DR

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Hello Everyone,

I have recently acquired a degree in finance but due to difficult job market conditions in the US i am considering beginning my career in the DR. Not that i cannot get a job here is just not the one(s) that i want. I have been offered work as a financial advisor but i am not too crazy about sales.
Anyhow, line of reasoning:
1. Well connected family in DR, high ranking military family members etc. (generals), business world
2. Working at say the central bank gives me international experience which could a. make it easier for me to enter business school for my m.b.a. and b. international experience with a reputable entity may facilitate acquiring a job upon my return with an employer in the bulge bracket Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch etc.

Help,

Principe

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What help are you asking for? If you have high-ranking family and friends, they can do more for you than we can.

But if you do come, be very careful what you do and under whose wing you are. The thread that golo started on "The Great Presidential Airplane Caper" should be on your "must read ASAP" list.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Principe

My best advice is that you look into the history files here on this subject to learn more about DR. The employment situation here is a very complicated matter. But it boils down more to who you know and who you are.

In your filed it becomes even more difficult and competitive. The Central Bank is a patronage pool. Everyone working there has a godfather. Now this is something you say you may have. You will need it. However, Generals are not the best instruments to get to places. It also depends what general you are talking about. Your relative would have to be one of the top 5 military officers to get you much. The military is not a reliable ally for jobs, unless you plan to enlist.

TW

principe

Nov 19, 2002
I was born in the DR and lived there until ten. I am aware of the craziness that is politics but i am somewhat shocked to learn that in plays a hand in just about every facet of dominican life.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Principe

The good thing you got going for you is age. You're still young and recent graduate, so you can take some chances. If your family is well connected, see what they can help you get. Once you're here and settled somehow, with your degree and connections you should be able to make progress.

TW