What would you do with $$$

jrshd9

Oct 31, 2002
$300K US want to generate as much current income as possible and low risk to the principle. ??????

Sorry for the brain freeze.

Moving to DR, should I move the money from my US acct to the DR if so what are some of my options.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Do the smart thing

Make an appointment with a good financial advisor and map out your goals and time/risk tolerance with him/her instead of seeking advice from strangers on a message board.
Larry

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sell out of the money US Stock index option spreads (a credit spread) and allow them to go to expiration. Use techical indicators such as 50/200 day moving averages and support/resistance to identify whether to sell puts or calls and to best time the trade.

This is a good strategy that I have just started to implement.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Where do you want to use the income that is generated? Europe? USA? Canada? Dominican Republic?
When do you want the "Best Income generated" to start & for approximately how long? Long term "Best Income" returns will differ from short term ones.
When are you likely to want to get your "Safe" principle back? Three months? Three years? Ten years?

You need to answer these questions (not to the board, but as Larry suggests, to your financial advisor AND yourself) before you take a decision!! WE make a reasonable (& definately SAFE) return on our investments, certainly enough to live on comfortably, so e-mail me if you want further info as to how we survive in the DR (North Coast). South Coast will require a different stratergy to the North Coast, different players & advisors etc.
Good Luck - Grahame.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
jrshd9 said:
$300K US want to generate as much current income as possible and low risk to the principle. ??????

Terms like "low risk" and "as much as possible" are very subjective.

Manage your risk by diversification and paying attention to established risk indicators. Consult an expert if you aren't comfortable with this. Gambling is best left to those whose specialty is gambling, and then only why they personally have a financial stake in YOUR results. Advisors that charge a set fee or comission regardless of your results, as you suspect, are not all that affected by your results and thus, will not place your interests high on their list.

No advisor worth their salt could advise you without more info. About you, your goals, time periods, your comfort and agression levels, etc., your complete financial condition, ...

Talk to your accountant. Cliche time. Walk before you run, don't put all your eggs in one basket, at bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, you reap what you sow, haste makes waste, you can't take it with you, a fool and his money are soon parted (or partying), to beat the system one must know the system, don't recreate the wheel, more is less, pee to the lee (I just like that one).

Crime seems to pay lately.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Shad

Shad,
I want to ask your advice on something can you do me a favor and e-mail me?
Larry

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
JSHDR, since protection of principle appears to be a very important concern I would take 150k and do exactly what Jazz stated US savings bonds. Series EE (Patriot bonds) currently yield 3.25% and Series II yield 4.08%. Both are tax deferred and the interest rates change every 6 months based on the Treasury bond yield and the inflation rate. Can only buy 30K II and !5k EE each year so you may need to use different family members SS#'s. Another 100K I would buy quality stocks which are undervalued, my opinion Sears, GE, Ford, some utilities and I would write covered calls to collect the premiums and dividends. Last 50K the highest yielding money market you could find so you have liquidity.
If you were a gambler I would have a very different strategy.
Best GNYC

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You can buy 30k per year per Social Security number on the EE's Gene. I wonder what would happen if you bought more? I was doing the max on the I bonds untill they lowered the basis on them. Now I don't do em. Matter of fact I am going to check my Savings bond portfolio tomorrow. They have a program that you download updates every 6 months.

www.Savingsbonds.gov

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
An interesting note on EE bonds....If you hold them for 17 years the Treasury will gurantee that minimum 4% compounded annual rate....at least according to the web site.

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
Jazz, on the EE's you can buy 30K face value per year. You only pay 50% of face when you buy them so your actually only investing 15K. The II's are at full value, 30K in bonds will get you 30K face value. For both figure 45K up front for the max per SS #.
Gene

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Though some would disagree with me Iwould invest minimum 100k in short term certificates here in pesos,great retun(24%9low risk
just my10 cets
J.H.:cool:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
With 36% devaluation of the peso in the past 11 months (and most of it in the last 3) that IS NOT a good return!! Even if you're living in the country and paying pesos for everything!!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
MommC said:
With 36% devaluation of the peso in the past 11 months (and most of it in the last 3) that IS NOT a good return!! Even if you're living in the country and paying pesos for everything!!
Yeah Moms right living here doesnt matter,I think Ill cash in my cds after all it pays more under my matress and is safer now that I purchased one of those m 16s supplied to the army for street sale.
Sorry but Im feeling sarcastic this morning:bandit:
J.H.

jrshd9

Oct 31, 2002
So is it better to buy US $ in a DR bank or leave in US bank.

Thanks for the reply

John

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
jrshd9, Your concerned with keeping your principle secure.

If that's the case the secure banks are in the US. (FDIC insurance)
Even if you hold US dollars in a DR bank, something can happen and turn those dollars into Pesos. This may work in your favor but with the direction the DR economy appears to be headed it is unlikely.

Stay in the highest yielding products you could find in America and wait until thing stabilize in the DR.

GNYC

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I must agree with GNYC!
Unless you have enough $$$ to take a "high flyer" hoping for mega exchange advantages and are able to comfortably "lose" your investment if things go sour!!
We had relatives living, working, investing in Argentina who were NOT rich but comfortably middle class (second generation Argentinians) who now are among the poor since their entire life savings were effectively wiped out by the monetary collapse.
Think hard before making a move into the DR "investment/interest" climate at this particular point in time.......