Health Insurance

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
Does anyone know where I can get reasonable health insurance for myself and my husband? We're from the UK so we only need insurance to cover this country. I would also like insurance to cover pregnancy.

Speaking of pregnancy - what are people's opinion regarding being pregnant and giving birth in the Dominican Republic? We are based in the Sosua/Cabarete area by the way.

Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Nikki Simon said:
Does anyone know where I can get reasonable health insurance for myself and my husband? We're from the UK so we only need insurance to cover this country. I would also like insurance to cover pregnancy.

Speaking of pregnancy - what are people's opinion regarding being pregnant and giving birth in the Dominican Republic? We are based in the Sosua/Cabarete area by the way.

Thanks

If you google search on expatriate health insurance UK you can find several (well, 9100 hits), including quite a few based in the UK that provide temporary to more or less permanent ex-pat health insurance for what at first glace seemed fairly reasonable pricing. I am sure the usual pre-existing exclusions apply at least for some time period.

As for question 2 there is no doubt the local population are experts at it. So it works quite well for them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Nikki Simon said:

The only expatriate that I know living in the same area went to Santiago to have her baby, but I don't know why she chose to go there.

If it is easy for you to get to Cabarete, I'd suggest talking with Dr. Plaut in Servi-Med. It is on the second floor more or less above Mama Juan. You'll see the sign. The office is manned round the clock, but Dr. Plaut usually is there in the afternoon. He is a German expatriate who has practiced here a long time and, hopefully, will be able to recommend a good doctor for you closer than Santiago. It would be a long trip in case of urgent need.

Bournigal is probably the best Centro Medico in Puerto Plata and there is at least one gynecologist there, but I know nothing about her competence. No doubt there are others; someone else may be able to tell you about her/them. There are better doctors in general in Santiago, but there are some excellent people at Bournigal. I know because I have an outstanding doctor in a different field there. It is just a matter of finding out who they are.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
You can buy excelent health insurance here check the archives I gave all the pertinent info on the company I use less than 3 months ago to someone else,also I assume you are not pregnant yet if so forget ins.here no one will cover you after the fact as every one would wait for the last minute to buy the insurance:bandit:

Last edited: