Temporary Accomodations

shepherd

Nov 20, 2002
I am a retired Canadian citizen and would like to live in DR
over the Canadian winter, say December-March.

My family from Canada cannot come with me because they are still working.

Does anybody know whether I can find accomodations with a
family, native or foreign ?

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
More info as to what you are looking for would help to get you info,do you want a wooden shack in the campo or N.American standards:confused:

shepherd

Nov 20, 2002
Preferrences

Well, I am not demanding. A simple room in an apartament or house of a family (native or foreign) might suffice.

What I am looking for is just decent accomodations, even if under North American Standards. A good host family, clean, shower,
access to kitchen is basicallyt what I really need. Proximity to a beach is though a must.

I had a vacation at Punta Cana, years ago, and visited the capital.
It gave me an idea about the country, although quite a general
idea.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I believe you will be better off renting a place yourself ,in Sosua there are several places available for 3000rd per month 300cdn
Agaln depends what you need

shepherd

Nov 20, 2002
Yes, it depends

Thanks for your message. You are right: it depends on what I need.

The problem is not to find rental accomodation in DR. This is not expensive as compared to Canada.

The problem is that I do not like to live alone for a long time. Loneliness is very stressful. Thanks God, I am healthy and I do not need somebody to take care of me.

My family cannot come with me because they are still working in Canada. It is not quite a pleasure to live alone.

So my real problem is to find an accomodation in DR with a family.

shepherd

Nov 20, 2002
Newspapers

Thanks for your message. You still might be able to help me
giving me the adress of a DR newspaper in which I can place an ad.

Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You might consider Hotel Topix in Sosua. Sylvie, the owner, lives on the premises and is very friendly. Also, she has several clients that live there. It is a small hotel, very friendly, well shaded, nice pool, and within walking distance from the beach. There is a kitchen there available for use by the guests. I think it would be a good choice for you and I'm certain you could get a good rate for a long stay. I think you would be quite happy here and soon feel you were among friends. See http://www.tropixhotel.com/ If you contact here, explain your situation and see what she can do for you. Feel free to tell her that I recommended that you contact her.If she mentions it to me, I'll put in a plug for a good rate for you.

shepherd

Nov 20, 2002
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will contact Sylvie, the owner of the Tropix hotel, mentioning your name.

Sandhu

Nov 26, 2002
I am also moving to DR to do medicne in utesa. I will move in sep 2003 and finding rentals nr santo domingo. My grand parents are joining me.
Right now I m in WA tell me if u found good rentals in the area of santo domingo

shepherd

Nov 20, 2002
No, I have not found yet housing in Santo Domingo.

Maybe I will have to resort to an ad in newspapers.

Please let me know whether you have found it.

Sandhu

Nov 26, 2002
I am planning to have a boat house and go from florida to DR on it and go to univ on my bike. But not sure my grandparents will like the idea or not.

shepherd

Nov 20, 2002
Wiil, I am a retired Canadian, rather on the side of your grandparents.

Anyway, if you will find something suitable (rental accomodation)
in DR please let me know.

Regards,

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sandhu said:
I am planning to have a boat house and go from florida to DR on it and go to univ on my bike. But not sure my grandparents will like the idea or not.

What sort of "boat house" are you talking about? I made the trip to the DR is a seaworthy sailboat, so am familiar with what is involved. I hope your "boat house" is not what I am picturing in my mind.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sandhu said:
that is not a house on a boat boat house. its liveaboard yatch

That's a relief. But one never knows. I've seen all sorts of boats arriving during my years here, including an O'day 22 sailboat that never should have left the bay it was meant to sail on.

Do you know where you are going to keep the boat? If you want to be near Santo Domingo, you may find you have a problem. Where you will keep the boat should be established before you make the trip.

Sandhu

Nov 26, 2002
Do you know anything about student accomodation in UTESA. It seems to be a good university but nobody actually responded whenever I inquired for a hostel and hostel fee there.
I will appritiate if U can help me in this.