first trip to dr

millybc

Nov 15, 2002
Hello everyone, well will try this again as first time ever in this forum and got lost in airline info, apparently being blond did not help, (joke, Joke, ) anyways was just wondering if any one had any info on Gran Ventana in the Playa Dorada area. Will be leaving Canada in 4 days, read the weather forcast and it said, showers, showers and more showers, convince me that this forcast will have no bearing on my holiday as I am leaving snow to get away from it all. have been reading a lot of the dr1 forums, amazing how you almost become to know everyone after awhile.Well enough said, looking forward to our great adventure.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I am going a day before you. I get in on Tuesday afternoon.

I never have bad weather even when there is a Hurricane wiping out Cuba next door. You will have a great time. Take a cab to Rockys in Sosua on the 28th for a Turkey dinner with a bunch of us to celebrate US thanksgiving. We will arrange a ride back for you.

Scott

millybc

Nov 15, 2002
thanks Jazzcom for the info on the weather and the invite to Rockys, unfortunatly we don't arrive till the 28th. hubby and I sure looking forward to this trip, the anticipation and waiting has just about done me in, will never book a holiday so far in advance again, next time it will be fly out the next day. Anyways thanks again, and do wish you a happy thanksgiving.

millybc

Nov 15, 2002
Hi there Keith&Cris, no we are flying out of Calgary at 9:30A.M. on the 28th and it is airtransit too. Have a stop over in Punta Cana so will not get into Puerto Plata till around 9:30 P.M. their time. do you know if your airline has a stopover in Calgary, you may be picking us up.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Two years ago we went to Santo Domingo for vacation. Upon arrival at the airport Rafael, our friend and taxi driver, gave us a print out of the weather for the comming week. Much to our dismay rain was forcast for EVERY day! The entire week was nothing but sun for the first five days and a few clouds the last two.
John in CT

millybc

Nov 15, 2002
Thank you John for the info, looking forward to a great time, I should know by now you can't beleive everything you hear or read specially pertaining to the weather.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
grand ventana is in a great location and we found the staff good, the food and rooms average. You are very close to the beach and a short distance to everything else. Have fun.

millybc

Nov 15, 2002
Thanks bob for the information on the Gran Ventana, its always good to hear a favourable message on where a person is staying, looking forward to having a great vacation.

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
Hi, MillieBC - Originally our plane from Vancouver was to do a stopover in Calgary to pick up passengers but it was overbooked so now they have two planes going, we don't stop until we get to Punta Cana and will not arrive Puerta Plata until 7:30pm - we're staying at Riu Bachata but will be making our way over to Playa Dorada at sometime during our vacation to visit friends staying there.

millybc

Nov 15, 2002
Hi Keith&Cris, thanks for your reply, sure am getting excited as no doubt you two are also. At least you get into Puerta Plata a little earlier then us and by chance who knows we may run into each other, we are from Kimberley, B.C. Take care, have a safe trip and have a great holiday!

LuanneB

Sep 24, 2002
Weather

I was in the Dominican Republic 2 weeks ago (I'm Canadian) and I remember having the same concerns about the weather. The forecast I read before I left said thunderstorms and cloudy almost every day.
To our surprise, we had the most beautiful sunny weather, a few clouds and only 10 minutes of rain the whole week we were there. It was perfect.
Check weather.yahoo.com
The forecast for Puerta Plata looks pretty good on that site for next week!