Retireing in the DR

Coorsflyer

Nov 24, 2002
Just looking for some heads ups, pros and cons. We have been looking at retiring to the DR on the north side, Sosua area. While visting the DR in the past all of our experiences have been wonderful. Is life in the DR this way all the time? Other than legal issues which we have already put feelers out for what other things should be be aware of. The home will be purchased in cash. I noticed that the cost of aoutomotive fuel is still cheaper there than what we are currently paying. We like to live a comfortable life style, good food good drink that sort of thing. Speaking of food, what is availible as far as fresh meat and fish?Other than food and drink what would the average cost of cooking fuel, phone, internet access, and electricity run a family of 3?

Heath care? Is there anything availible? Hospital visits payed in cash?

Hurrincane season..big concern, how does it effect the north coast. Like any natural distasters I know one has to assume the worst case senerio. I've tried to fine facts about the north coast and hurricane results but at this point have not been too successful.

I will likely have more questions as time goes by, but this should satisfy my appitite for now.

If you have had any real life experiences please let me know, remember I'm looking for pros and cons, please try and be honest.

Thank you all in advance.

Frank

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been living in the DR since 1986, for past 2.5 years in Sosua. For legal issues, I strongly recommend using Fabio Guzman. See www.drlawyer.com His office is on the 3rd floor of the Bommarito building in Sosua. You can trust him.

My wife and I use a combination of medical services. For routine things we use a doctor in Sosua or Cabarete. For some other things we use a doctor at Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata. It would be your best choice for a medical center/hospital in the Sosua/Puerto Plata area. The doctors we normally consult once or twice a year, or for serious matters, are at Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo. Excellent doctors. We got in the habit of going there when we lived in Samana. If I was coming into the area new, I would be doing more in Santiago than I do. Excellent doctors as well there, and a new medical center/hospital being constructed there will be world class, with tie ins to some of the best hospitals in the US.

We pay in cash and seek reimbursement from Blue Cross Blue Shield in the US. However, a variety of medical insurance plans are available in the DR.

Excellent medical care costs much less here than in the US. Medicine costs about the same if imported, which much of it is. However, there are more generics available here than in the US, which helps. There are also medications available that are commonly sold in Europe but not yet available in the US.

Meat is available. The best beef we have found in the Sosua area is sold by a German meat market on the edge of Sosua. The beef sold in the supermarket tends to be tougher because it isn't aged. Except for imported beef that you can get in places like Santiago and Santo Domingo, the beef you get here is very low fat. Better for your health.

Less chance of hurricanes in Sosua area because they usually have curved toward the north before getting this far west. Much less risk on north coast than on south coast.

Should you have specific questions I might be able to help you with, feel free to email me. Click on the "email" button under one of my posts and fill in the blank like you would any email.