Any "Gated Communities" or Equally nice Retirement Neighbourhoods?

boyblue

Nov 24, 2002
My wife and I have enjoyed wonderful vacations at our Time Share in Sosua, for 5 years. We are considering the DR an option for retirement. We would like to build a house. It would be nice to be near other Foreigners to this land. We are familiar with the power interruptions, and found out that you need a lot of patience to get things done.
Today, we are reaching out to anyone, who are living there or have lived there, to share with us any Tips, as to how to get started.
Please share any good or bad experiences. Candy coating not necessary. We can handle the truth.
I thank you all.
Charles....................................boyblue2312@hotmail.com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been living in the DR since 1986, in Sosua for past 2.5. If you live in a condo complex that has a generator and have one for your home, the power outages can be dealt with.

The premier gated communtity in Sosua is Sea Horse Ranch. If you have the money, it would be well worth considering. There are other options, but you need to be here to investigate and consider them.

Contact Dean Brown at islandcruisers@hotmail.com. He is an American expat on the staff of the realtor that represents Century 21 in the Sosua/Cabarete area. He can help you in your search for land that meets your specifications.

I'm not sure what sort of tips you are reaching out for. If you have been vacationing here for 5 years, you should have a pretty good idea what life will be like for you as a resident.

A good lawyer is essential whether you build or buy. I strongly recommend that you contact Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in the legal section of this board. His office is in Sosua. You can "meet" him at www.drlawyer.com. Fabio and his staff represent a large number of expatriates and foreign investors.

Living here is not the same as living in the US. But my wife and I wouldn't have lived here for so many years if we weren't comfortable.

If you have questions it would help if you asked them, rather than just making an open ended request for information. There is a great deal of that available to you already in the archives. Doing a search should be one of your first steps.

boyblue

Nov 24, 2002
Gated Community

Thank you for the speedy reponse. At the moment , this is an information gathering session for my next visit. I will check the DR1 archives and I will check out the Ranch in Sosua.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Gated Communities

We purchased a 3 bdrm house in a gated community in Cabarete. It is called Pro Cab and considerably cheaper than Sea Horse Ranch. There are many empty lots from which to choose and have the house of your dreams built. It is administered by an individual for a monthly amount and has 24 hour security. There are a wide variety of nationalities living there and come and go for seasons. There are permanent residences there as well. Good suggestion about Fabio. He looked after us and we are very happy with their services. No problems with titles and plans. There are several maps of Cabarete showing the development and the administrator for the development is Pierre Dardolet at L'Agence. He has a website at http://agencerd.com/english/frameset.html[/URL]

He is very helpful. We are very happy with our purchase and the town and convenience of everything. We don't even need a car.

Good luck :cool:

boyblue

Nov 24, 2002
Gated Community, Thanks to all

I appreciate all the responses and the Archives information. Funny, its one thing to talk about retirement , and when it is staring you in the face 5 years down the road, I am getting butterflies in my stomach getting down to the business of it for real.
The next visit will surely be an eyeopener.