Puerto Plata vs Sousa

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenpiel

Nov 24, 2002
Hello all,
I recently booked a stay for 4 days in January 2003 at Hacienda Tropical, and am now very worried from reading some bad bad bad reviews. We're flying into Puerto Plata Int'l, so I am wondering if anyone could recommend a nice place for my boyfriend and I to stay? We would love to scuba dive if its nearby, definitely snorkel and enjoy the beaches. Quiet is better. I prefer to leave the club *at* the club, if you know what I mean.
I really think my travel agent led me astray, so if anyone has suggestions, or can vouch for that resort, I'd love to hear more.
Thoughts? Thanks in advance to all who respond. :)

puppylove

Nov 24, 2002
Don't worry ....

I always say you can't always believe what you hear or read. I've spent two vacations at the Hacienda resorts and loved it. The people were great, food was good and the sun was fantastic. In Feb 2001 my husband, youngest son and I spent two weeks at what was known as the appartments. It was nice, clean but the plumbing could have been better... (only draw back).

This year we returned and stayed for one week at the Tropical. The accomodiation was much nicer... this time we took both sons and had two rooms side by side.

I would definitly go back, but for our next trip I would like to try the south side of the island. We've enjoyed our stay so much my husband and I plan to retire there...

If you love the beach and want to snorkel, there are a few great tours you can take from the resort: Beach Bonanza (for the beach) and Sail the Cats - for snorkeling at the Islands best coral reef.

The bus ride from Puerto Plata Int'l to the hotel is very interesting to say the least. Once your at the resort and on the tours, its great! Just thinking about it brings back wonderful memories...

Sharon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Janpiel: Not my experience. I have stayed there twice, and I live here! I have visited friends up there several times and each time was enjoyable. There are a bunch of restaurants, pool and the beach is "right there" . I especially enjoyed the breakfasts and evening meals.
The complex itself is well kept, and the staff is efficient and very nice.

HB

jenpiel

Nov 24, 2002
thank you! i'm looking forward to the trip.
I did decide to go to Sosua after contemplating everything. I am going to go diving too, and this other place has a diving center right there so it seemed more convenient. And the website is nicer too. Not so "early-twenties-ish"... I don't quite know how to describe it. I definitely think the Karisma Hotels should invest in some quality photos for their website. It might be a very nice place. I am more concerned with my diving experience. So hopefully it all works out. Now I'm off to attempt to learn a little Spanish before my trip! Sesame Street (cartoon in the US) taught me what little I know, consists of agua, hola, que pasa, uno dos, tres.... I need help! :) again, thank you for your info. If you hear of anything happening there the 2nd week of January, please let me know! Thanks a million. I'm jealous that you live there. We're expecting snow on Wednesday... :(

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Hacienda Resort

Well, as puppy love says, your vacation will be as good as you want it to be, depends on your optimistic side.
If you decide to stay at the Hacienda resort, contact Mr Antonio Casares / GM Hacienda Resorts, he'll be glad to help out to make your vacation a good one.
:cool:

jenpiel

Nov 24, 2002
I appreciate that. I did decide to stay elsewhere, mainly because when I emailed the Hacienda they never returned my messages. I needed to know about diving info before today. Anyway, maybe while we are there we will jaunt over and check it out for future info. just curious, did the renovations to the resort ever get finished or are they still working on it?

On a side note, I just stepped outside in NY, and it is so cold! Ugh. Thoughts of the island and beach and sunshine are just what keeps me going every day! Looking forward to a great time, short but definitely sweet!

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.