Finally the good news, Cheap drinking water.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Exactly when the government announced raise in prices ex: gasoline, electric, drinking water etc etc.
Yes drinking water went up 20 pesos from 15 peso mark in santiago area. All of the sudden I see prices as low as 12 pesos / 5 gallon bottle, all over town, by a few new companies. One of them is called Agua Monumental. Another company will even deliver you a 5 gallon bottle to your house for only 16 pesos and if you buy 10 or more bottles, the prices goes down as low as almost 10 pesos / bottle. I forgot the name of that company (silly me).
Anyway, I believe all drinking water is processed through reverse osmosis system to purify itself and they all taste alike in my opinion.
Lets see if companies like these appear in other parts of this country with different names but same prices.
Have a nice day.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thats a good example of the power of free enterprise. I wonder how long it will take for the PRD to levy some sort of extortion fee on these new companies.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I know of a company also where I stayed that sold water for only $10 RD, and it has not gone up with the increases. This water is sold mostly to the poor campos and barrios in the east, so that it is affordable for them.

Everything is on the increase, I mean even pan, from 1 peso, to 1.5 for a bun. Sad...

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
How much would a reverse osmoses system cost? I know that they are pretty simple devices.

Bruce

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AZB, where do you see water that cheap>?? Please let me know?

HB, pant, pant....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hillbilly, on calle 30 de marzo, there are a few locations. Under my office, on ground floor is the tienda de zapatos "calzados pueblo". they have it. Also i had seen the same water bottles on the corner of calle 30 de marzo and the over-pass above las carreras. Later, I will check out more places for you.
Cheers

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You might bring me a sample of that "Cheap" water!

I will test it for you to see if it is free from bacterial and viral contamination.If it seems to good to be true,it usually is! A guy with a hose and a Heat Gun can seal "anything" in a 5 gallon bottle.About 10 years ago all the big companies in Santo Domingo were independently tested,most were contaminated! Cris

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Cheap water could be expensive

I can confirm what AZB is talking about here in Santo Domingo. Trucks are going around with this water and they fill in you water bottle on the spot for $10. I still buy mine for $25. Until somebody proves to me that a water filled directly from a truck into a bottle in the middle of a street is safe for drinking I will pay my $25.

TW

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think Cris and golo are right to be suspicious. Problems with bottled-water quality aren't unique to the DR. I recall a big fuss in the US not too many years ago when it was discovered that bottled water sold by many companies, including the one that serviced the White House, was more contaminated than the water coming out of the faucets.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Well, I didn't see any water trucks filling up those bottles. They come prepackaged and sealed like the rest of the bottles. I hope this is not a scam. I will try 2 bottles today and lets see what happens. I will keep you guys updated on my health.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
thanks for the info. I'll try a couple also and see what happens.
We are all suspicious as all get out, I guess with good reason, especially as "seasoned"* veterans of this place... I will also report back.

*Seasoned: It means we have had long, painful sessions on the porcelan throne!! And, therefore, are careful with what goes in, since sometimes it comes out all too quickly!

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, here is the real deal:
It turns out that it was not pure water (after-all) but diluted nuclear waste fluid from puerto rico's nuclear plant. No wonder these Iraqis were buying them by the truck loads in santiago.
Ok, I am joking, Just picked up 2 bottles last night. They exchanged mine (old rotten ones) for 2 new shinny bottles, sealed and capped. The taste is as good as any bottle and the price: 24 pesos for 2. 12 pesos / bottle.
Yes, I am still alive.
Try it.
Good luck

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you basing your recommendation on consuming 2 5-gallon bottles in less than 24 hours? If so, you drink one heck of a lot of water. You must have some camel genes.

No matter, it takes more than the time you allowed for the really bad stuff to show up.

And why the "good luck" if you are sure the water is purified?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
AZB

Were not concerned about your life yet. Santiago nuclear waste does not kill that fast. What we are concerned about is wether or not you are a candidate for Fel-6.

TW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you live in santiago then call this number: 276 1777. They claim to deliver a 5 gallon bottle to your home for only 16 pesos.
Botellones a domicilio, S.A.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
AZB said:
If you live in santiago then call this number: 276 1777. They claim to deliver a 5 gallon bottle to your home for only 16 pesos.
Botellones a domicilio, S.A.

What, if anything, do they put in the bottle?