Fees - Ministry of Tourism

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I have a conflict and I need to hear from someone in the know regarding the fees charged to visit tourist sites. I visited the cascade at El Limon in the Samana Peninsula this last weekend. It is a walk in or horseback ride of about 2 km from the road to get there. The walk is free, the horseback ride is whatever the market price and the wind is blowing for that day. When you reach the cascade at its top and you want to be able to view it at the base you must pay 5 pesos to the Ministry of Tourism to have access to the pathway to the base. The five pesos is supposed to pay for the upkeep of the area.

My conflict arises from the fact I was traveling with a group of fifty people from all parts of the country and each person was charged 400 pesos for the visit. We provided our own food and transportation to the cascade as part of a caravan of the whole group of fifty. I questioned the cost and was informed it is a fee the Ministry of Tourism exacts from large groups to pay for the upkeep of the area. I doubt it, noting the disparity, 5 pesos as a walk-in vs 400 pesos pp group visit. I believe this RD $400 fee the group organizer may be pocketing.

I would like to hear from someone familiar with tour groups and government fees. Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am not familiar with the fee structure for that particular excursion, but I can tell you that these days the Ministry of Tourism is collecting whatever fees it can.