Mail Deliveries

the4hearts

Nov 28, 2002
Mail Deliveries

From on hand experience what are the chances of having parcel mail delivered currently in the Santiago region?

Question is prompted by recent news release on DR1

Thank you.

PS As the saying goes the first shipment is already in the mail, as of last week, from Canada.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is what you call "parcel mail" something other than regular mail? Are receipts signed and is there a tracking number?

If it was sent with one of the courier services, your chances of getting the package is quite good. If it was sent regular mail, your chances of getting the package are less than 50-50, and getting worse every day. The present government has no interest in the government-run mail service.

Those of us who live here all use a courier service. Expensive, but reliable.

the4hearts

Nov 28, 2002
Thank you, unfortunately I sent via Canada Post and yes I use courier services to the DR which until now have been very reliable.

But the package only contained some seasonal gifts for children. The cost of a courier did not make sense. Except for the heartbreaks.

I lived there also, until this early summer, at that time despite some early misgivings, stemmed from the Balaguer era, regular mail was becoming fairly reliable.
I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed.

If I am successful I will let you know.

Regards.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You're right, during Balaguer's last years in office the mail service improved considerably. Leonel continued to make improving the mail service a priority. But this is no longer the case. No doubt the item in the recent dr1 news report about the increasing problems in the postal system is what prompted your concern.

You may or may not get the package. If not for this Christmas, perhaps by next. Good luck.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We're still waiting for one that was mailed last January! Maybe it will be there when we return this January but I doubt it!
I'd say chances are 75-25 Against getting it!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Then there are miracles

My buddy mailed three postcards with everyday Dominican stamps, RD$15 or 25 each as I recall, and not the Express banana stamps and all three cards made it to Cincinnatti area in less than 2 weeks.