Changing Money in Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I change money at Vimenca and recommend that visitors change money there as well instead of at the change banks on the main street. Some regulars may have found other places that are as good, but Vimenca is easy to find and their rates are always better than the places on the main street that are usually visited by people who don't know the town.

To illustrate, the best rate that I could find today on main street for US$ was 20.60, though the majority were at 20.50. For Cdn$, the best rate on main street was 12.50, though some still offered 12.30 and one was offering 12.

At Vimenca, the rate for US$ this morning was 21.20 and for Cdn$12.71. The differences aren't always so dramatic, but you will always do better than on main street.

Vimenca is on the ground floor of the 3-story Bommarito building located on the highway. It is a very short walk from main street; take the street that passes along side of the La Roca Restaurant and you will come to the building. Behind La Roca is a small plaza, and next to it is the Bommarito building.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ken said:
I
At Vimenca, the rate for US$ this morning was 21.20 and for Cdn$12.71. The differences aren't always so dramatic, but you will always do better than on main street.

Good advice - once again the US vs. CDN is horrible - the rate is nearly equal to buying US$ at 1.69 CDN. (21.2/12.71)

Take US$ with you and use this cambio.

swake

Oct 27, 2002
How about the office at Ayuntamiento? Sorry for not remembering its name but it's just a few meters past Eddy's bar. Some Sosua expats informed me they offered very good rates but I didn't keep record, silly me.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
thats Euro bank.
you should always check there as well.
pending their requirment they may have the best rates.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are changing money in Sosua today, you should be getting at least: US$21, Cdn$13, Euro$20.50. These were the best rates that I saw this morning when walking down main street on my way to the gym.

You should do better than this at Vimenca and possibly at the Euro Bank suggested by Paul Thate as well, although I have no experience with it.

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Eurobank, that's the one, Paul.
Three years ago I used to go to an Italian down the corner in Dr. Rosen (across from the real estate agency) but I don't think he's still around. Friendly chap I recall.