Dominican Orphanages

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
After reading some replies on another topic, the subject
of Orphanages came up. Just wondering if those orphanages
are all run by the DR's Government or by private organizations?
How can one help those in orphanages?

Te cuida,

M

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'm no expert Villa but the ones in my area are all privately run and are charitable organizations mainly sponsored from abroad.
I often bring a carry-on sized bag of clothes for one of them and I've given the address of another to a church group in my hometown here in Canada that sends clothes, school supplies, toys and personal hygiene products to them.
There is also a postings from Andre a on the board for help with a "school" in San Pedro that helps a lot of street kids. Not quite sure if there is an orphanage run by the padre but there might be.

L

leonardo1267

I am glad you admit that you are not an expert, you are just somebody prejudice and unfair, expecting to find Canada wherever you go. before you made an opinion about a whole country, i think you must do you homework.
should I say that Canadians women are easy to take to bed, because I took so many of them to bed? not, I shouldn't, because , the actions of a few doesn't portrait the whole country.
leonardo "economic traveler"

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Villa,

The orphanages that I have been involved with are all supposedly government supported, however, what they receive is not enough to make ends meet.

If you are interested in getting involved check out www.orphanage-outreach.org, the organization I have been working with for a few years.

If you don't want to deal with a group like this, then I would suggest that you find any orphanage in the DR that you would like to donate to, I am sure they would accept.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the link bugsy......I have a friend who spent last winter working for a poor parish in Mexico but would like to be in the DR. where he could at least visit us once or twice while we are there. The orphanages that I am familiar with do not seek "human" hands on as they have sufficient local volunteers to help them with their charges but rather seek "material" help and $$ donations to carry on their work.
Having lived the last 13 yrs in the DR. I am quite familiar with how much "assistance" the gov't provides as they can not even meet the payroll for their staff (of which they have far too many to begin with).
For others who are planning on a short vacation to the Dr. please see the thread "It's about time " that I started back in late Sept. There are some excellent ideas in the thread for small "packages" that can be brought with you to help out with local schools and also orphanages. The more of us that are willing to do a "little" bit the better it will be for those in need!