The next scandals??

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Do people in the DR read what's underneath and just not care or what? I mean, this so called president appears to be laughing in everyone's face and no one cares! It's as if he was telling everyone....look at me...I'm taking your money...hahahaha and you don't do a damn thing about it:)! It's outrageous to say the least. I will propose that all newspapers and news agencies just shut down and go home and leave a sign on the door that says.....OUT OF BUSINESS! What's the point of taking the time to bring this sort of information to the public if there is going to be no reaction at all? In my point of view...it's USELESS!!!

The next scandals

Architect and deputy Alejandro Montas (PLD-National District) forecasts major scandals in the making in connection to the concessions granted by the Mejia government for the construction of a railway and major highways. Montas is a former president of the leading engineering and architectural association (Codia) and now presides over the commission of public works of the Chamber of Deputies. He said that the government has authorized concessions worth more than US$1-billion to lobbyists, rather than to well known, established builders, reports El Caribe newspaper.
Montas says that the Mejia government has granted several major highways by concession: Santo Domingo-Samana, San Pedro de Macoris-La Romana, Santo Domingo-San Cristobal, San Cristobal-Bani and San Pedro de Macoris-Veron. With the exception of the Samana-Santo Domingo highway, none of the works has yet to get underway. Montas said the standstill in the construction is due to the fact that the budgets submitted to obtain the concessions were not based on any real numbers.
In addition, Montas was critical of the Mejia government concession for the construction of the controversial Haina-Santiago train line. The contract was given to a company that has yet to build its first railway and whose principal executive, Jose Miguel Ventura Asilis, was recently indicted in Puerto Rico, where he resides, for fraud against the government there.
Montas says that what should cause most concern about this concession is its broad scope. He said that while the local focus has been scrutinizing the construction of the Haina-Santiago railway, it pays little attention to the fact that the contract guarantees that all future railway development be handed to Ventura Asilis as well. ?12 Dominican governments will not be able to develop any railway lines without negotiating with Ventura Asilis,? he explained.
He also expressed his apprehension for the concession granted to Sercitec for southeastern highways. He explained that the contract signed by Minister of Public Works Miguel Vargas Maldonado is for a duration of 20 years, or US$1.5-billion. The highway itself cost RD$1.9-billion to build, was inaugurated only four months ago and came with a guarantee whereby the builders are responsible for maintaining the highway for several years. He says further that it is scandalous that the government should grant Sercitec the administration of the tolls of the Las Americas highway when that company did not invest a single cent into the construction of the tollbooths. He said that the contracts for the construction of Las Americas and the completed Autovia del Este include maintenance contracts and guarantees on behalf of the builders ? in stark contrast with the generous concession granted to Sercitec.