Who knows the best route to drive S.D. to Samana?-or- the buses take which route????

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Best=fastest...or smartest...as the case may be! Your call !

Also...Has anyone seen the map, or projected route plans... for the new highway that has been touted as an express route for going up there?

Thank you in advance!

Also...The Drive time is projected at....???

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tour follows two routes. Most go through San Francisco de Macoris because this gives them a larger passenger pool. But they also have a bus that goes through Cotui. This is faster and is the best route to use until such day as the new highway is completed.

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Ok...so using the map provided:

http://www1.tip.nl/~t794614/mapdr.htm

You go up Hywy1 to Piedra Blanca....then up hywy 17 thru Cotui..and Pementel..[thus avoiding San francisco de Macoris], to Hywy 132 ...then east thru Castillo to Nagua???

...or to Contui and then head east thru Cevicos...staying north of or thru...Sabana grande de Boya..then straight north over the Yuna river to Hywy 5???

What is route 23 like...that heads up North that same way toward Sabana grande de Boya...but starts just east of S.D?

or Hywy 11 which heads almost due North from SD???

once again thanks for all.

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Ok...so using the map provided:

http://www1.tip.nl/~t794614/mapdr.htm

You go up Hywy1 to Piedra Blanca....then up hywy 17 thru Cotui..and Pementel..[thus avoiding San francisco de Macoris], to Hywy 132 ...then east thru Castillo to Nagua???

...or to Cotui and then head east thru Cevicos...staying north of or thru...Sabana grande de Boya..then straight north over the Yuna river to Hywy 5???

What is route 23 like...that heads up North that same way toward Sabana grande de Boya...but starts just east of S.D?

or Hywy 11 which heads almost due North from SD???

once again thanks for all.

By the way...This is the best map I've found on the net so far...if you know of a better DR road map, I'd love a link to it!

...what do you think of this map???

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry I can't help you with specifics, oldhippy. I've been over the route in bus and car, but someone else did the driving. I didn't pay that much attention. But I do know the reason why it is shorter is because it avoids that long "detour" through San Francisco de Macoris.

I haven't been on the route for a few years so things may have changed, but when I did ride it there were a couple of spots where "local knowledge" seemed necessary as there were turns that weren't marked.

To the best of my recollection, when you turned off the highway on the way from Samana you first went through a little community called El Pozo or something like that.

Undoubtedly there is at least one person on this board who can give you more specifics.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Hippy,
Much of the route through Piedra Blanca-Maimon-Cotui-Pimentel-Castillo is all torn up and takes more time than going further up the Duarte and then turning off to pass through San Francisco de Macoris on the way to Nagua.

I ran the Cotui "shortcut" just two weeks ago and not only is it more dangerous (and easier to get lost) but it took as much or more time than going the longer but easier route through SFM. It's best to use the route through SFM. Both routes take a little over 4 hours for the trip from SD to Samana.

By the way, sometime ago you had asked me about an old hotel east of Nagua. The name of the place is Caribe Caban (or something close) as best I can remember.

I'm not certain but I don't think those roads going north of Santo Domingo are completely passable. It probably could be done, but I wouldn't try it in anything less than a 4wd Jeep and an entire day to navigate them.

The shortcut back road that cuts east shortly after Castillo is only paved for about 5 miles to the Japanese rice factory. Then its a graded dirt road with about 4 left turns at intersections you have to make to eventually come out on the north coast highway by the little bridge that is the boundary of Samana province. If you don't know this route, I don't recommend driving it. Part of this dirt road is to become the north end of the new SD-Samana highway. This shortcut saves about 10 miles and only 10 minutes off the regular route through Nagua.

The other shortcut is a little further north toward Nagua at the cutoff to the little community of el Pozo. It is also a dirt road and has a series of turns and intersections to navigate and again I don't recommend it without local knowledge. It saves about 7 miles and 15 minutes off the regular route.

However, what you save in time and gas using both of these shortcuts will be easily made up in premature repairs to the vehicle's suspension system, even driving less than 20 mph.

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Thank you Ken and Andy!

Just the work envolved in finding a good route, makes a strong case of just taking an express bus from S.D....and leave the driving to a pro!

Life seemed easier back when... I would just tool around the countryside on an on road-off road moto!

Back then you could just head up the east coast to Sabana de la mar,,,and they'd put your moto on a passenger ferry, to cross over Samana Bay.

Do they still do this...I wonder?

Thank you both once again..for the help in recalling that hotel east of Nagua!

Caribe Caban...if either of you pass it, how about an update to its current fate.

It was once all alone, on that stretch of hywy running within eye shot of the beach..but now I've been told, that area is more developed?

Is there other hotels in that area nowadays?

Also... it was thought possibly, that it may have been closed or even abandonded???

It was newish in the late 80's! Is this possible?

By the way...how is the quality of the cyber map provided by link herein?

Is it a keeper...Or Do you know of a better one?

Via Con Dios!

oldhippy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If by "moto" you mean motorcycle, you can bring that across on ferry from Sabana de le Mar.

Caribe Caban is what I thought you were asking about. I plan to go to Samana and will check to be sure, but I am quite sure it has been closed for some time.

Yes, there are some other hotels in the same general area.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
oldhippy said:
By the way...This is the best map I've found on the net so far...if you know of a better DR road map, I'd love a link to it!

...what do you think of this map???

The map is pretty good in its clarity and in presenting the major roads. Here's another one which does a decent job of showing smaller roadways and small towns.

Hispaniola.com

Swede

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are planning to take a bus to Samana from Santo Domingo, Metro is a good choice, but so is Caribe Tour, which has more buses to Samana daily (one of them takes the "short" route).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Went to Samana today, oldhippy, and checked the hotels outside of Nagua enroute. The Caribe Caban looks as though it is being maintained, as does a hotel next door with Italiano in the name. Doors were open at both, but I saw nobody at either one when passing in both directions. These two hotels are 6-8 kms from Nagua. There is another beach hotel closer to Nagua that appears to have been abandoned.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
stan chapman said:
Is there a bus service from SDQ airport, or only from the City?

To get to Samana from Santo Domingo, you must go to the Caribe Tours or Metro bus terminal in the city. Both are good choices, Caribe Tours has more buses, thus more schedule options, than Metro. Take a take from airport to bus terminal. Caribe Tours buses leave for Samana ata 7, 8:30 and 10am, 1:30, 2:30, and 4pm. The trip takes about 4.5 hours.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Thaks, Ken. I got nowhere with the helicopter idea. What's the cab fare? I heard rumours about another bus company that goes from SD to Las Galeras. Anyone know anything about that? Plan B is a cab all the way. Cost 110USD. (that's about a million CDN!!) in 2001. OUCH. Bummed a ride back & bought the gas. Much less painful. Stan.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Airport to Caribe Tour about US$20. Caribe Tour from SD to Samana about RD$100. There is public transportation from Samana city to Las Galeras, but with your luggage, etc., you will be much more comfortable if you take a taxi. Total cost far less than taking a taxi all the way.

Yes, there is a privately owned bus that goes from Samana to Santo Domingo and back the same day. But little chance of your making contact with it, since there is only one trip and it leaves from a point on fringe of city. This bus also likely to be crowded and much less comfortable than Caribe Tour.