Looking to relocate...any leads?

lissyde

Dec 3, 2002
Hi everyone, I've been reading the message boards for 3 weeks now and have found them very helpful.
I currently live in NJ/NY area and am looking to move to Puerto Plata/Sosua area. I spent 3 wonderful weeks in DR this year and would like to move temporarily. I figure I'm 25, no kids, no marriage.....what better time to do this then now. As much as I love clubbing at the Copa and China Club....I need a break!
My biggest concern is employment and a place to live. I was doing some research and saw that in Puerto Plata there are apts that go for US$180-$300 called Munoz residence. They are located across from Playa Dorada where majority of the resorts are. Does anyone know anything regarding this place?
Also, as for employment, I am still in college but other then a basic computer certification course I took, I don't have a degree or any other cert. I am fluent in Spanish (thanks to the Cuban parents who insisted I learn some!) and taught pre-school for 3 years if that helps any. Eventually, I would like to teach but would not mind bartending or working at a resort. Actually, I am open to any job for now as long as I can get out of here for some time!
Another question....how much $$$ would someone suggest I take with me just to be safe? and transportation? and medical expenses? and do I need any type of working papers, etc........sorry for all the questions but any leads would be greatly appreciated! I am looking to leave around May/June. Thanks!

;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How long is a piece of string? :)

lissyde, you have a lot of broad questions. I would spend a few hours reading the archives and doing lots of searches. Then come back here and post, let's say, more focused questions. That way we can give you exact answers based on your needs etc.

e.g.
"how much $$$ would someone suggest I take with me just to be safe?" Safe from what? What type of lifestyle do you lead?

"and transportation?"
You want to buy a car? Take public transport?
Travel around the island?

"and medical expenses?"
Do you have a pre-existing condition? Dental, Cardio, Ophthalmology, brain surgery, what?