need info on gold courses, please!!!

travelgirl

Oct 30, 2002
need info on golf courses, please!!!

( This is actually my mom's post but she had it in a different location and no one was answering, please someone answer)

Hi there this is my 1st time on this site, I am a travel agent and get asked lots of questions about the DR that I can't answer. I have been to the Punta Cana area twice and the Puerto Plata area once and have fallen in love with the country and it's people. I apologize in advance for sending many crazy tourists down there, but hey it's my job! I have group of 50 people going in April, two of which are getting married. Many of these guys are avid golfers and I need help to be able to answer their questions. Can anyone tell me about how far the LTI Sol de Plata Beach / Breezes resort near sosua is from the Playa Dorada golf course and also the Playa Grande golf course and is it worth it for them to bring there own clubs or should they rent them there? Thanks in advance for any help I recieve.

Last edited:
S

Stephen

Maybe noone was answering because there are no "gold courses" here that I know of. (only joking)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Golf Courses

Hi travelgirl,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

First - distance is not the best measure of travel in the D.R. because most of us gringos have a preconceived notion if time per distance which is totally wrong in the D.R. (assuming you are from North America). A better measure is time (excluding the requisite stops at colmados for Presidentes). Breezes to Playa Dorada will be 20 - 30 minutes depanding on your driver and to Playa Grande would be around an hour, give or take a bit.

Second - Sorry I don't golf so maybe one of the others who do (Bush Baby or Hillbilly come to mind) can help you out there.

Gregg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It would be best for them to bring their own golf clubs. Club hire is not much (RD $150 per session) but the quality is not too good generally & golf clubs can normally be loaded without charge with most tour companies!!

Playa Grande is about 30 minutes from Sol de Plata (East as opposed to West for Playa Dorada) - a VERY scenic course but quite a lot more expensive to play than Playa Dorada. I can put them in touch (via you of course) with reasonable caddies at Playa Dorada, who speak English & won't demand hundreds of RD's as a tip afterwards!! If they want a local to go with them once or twice, just tell them to contact me - I enjoy the excuse to get away from this keyboard!!! I am a member at Playa Dorada & occasionally play down at Playa Grande (when I can afford it!!).

E-mail me direct if you need anything more - Grahame.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Grahame has said it all. go with what he said, and you can't go wrong!. If you want to arrange a side/day trip for them schedule a trip to Santiago Golf Club at Las Aromas in Santiago, a short tough Pete Dye course. 18 hole, walking preferred. Green fees are less than 20 dollars and cadies are abotu 10 dollars a round.
They can visit a cigar factory and a rum factory if they want ot..

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
WOT???!! No tour of the Hillbilly emporium too???? Home produced lemonade & Dominican cigars (along with your charming self of course) will be all we're looking for.
If these guys are up to it, maybe we can do all 3 courses with you joining us at one or two. How my new clubs coming on BOSS??

pinky

Dec 3, 2002
Thanks a bunch!

Yes some of you are right you did answer this in the General area of this site. Sorry it was my 1st time on this site and my daughter who frequents the site advised me I posted it in the wrong area. Thank you so much for the golf advise, my group of 50 people that are going to Super Club Breezes in Puerto Plata in April are also very grateful for the info. Most of these guys are Police Officers and apparantely avid golfers in their spare time. By the way this site is awesome for info and even better for pure entertainment when I'm having a dull moment at work. Once again thanks to all who responded.
Pinky( in snowy Ontario, Canada)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Pinky, I have some good friends just outside Toronto who come down to play Playa Dorada 3 times a year. I am not sure they would welcome a visit from the police, but fellow golfers ..... Hmmm, let me chat to them if your guys are interested in chatting to them. You or them are welcome to e-mail me direct if you want further info &/or a meet up on the course. - Grahame.