Catholic Churches in Puerto Plata?

pwo

Dec 4, 2002
We will be in Puerto Plata over Christmas. Are there any Catholic Churches that will be celebrating Christmas Eve mass? Are any masses celebrated in English? I haven't been able to find out much on the web - any info would be appreciated. Thanks...

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
PWO
There are several Catholic churches in Puerto Plata,however you will be hard pressed to find one celebrating in English as this is a Spanish Nation.If you are staying in Playa Dorada I do believe there are services held in english for tourists,check with your tour rep on arrival at your hotel they will have all the infomation.
J.H.:cool:

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Usually the services held at the hotels are in english, but non-denominational.

Try going to the Catedral San Felipe in Puerta Plata, I promise you, even though you may not understand all that is said you will be able to get through the Mass. and it is alot better than what you get at the hotels, plus the Church is beautiful.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
pwo said:
We will be in Puerto Plata over Christmas. Are there any Catholic Churches that will be celebrating Christmas Eve mass? Are any masses celebrated in English? I haven't been able to find out much on the web - any info would be appreciated. Thanks...

If you've been in the church a while the Spanish isn't that far off the Latin masses you may have been to as a youth and the stand up, kneel etc., is more or less the same and I'd go if you want to regardless of the language - Easter is quite a cool mass as well.

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
I haven't experienced mass in the DR, but I love to go to mass in cultures other then my own. You may even want to consider attending mass in a small ?back country? church. Those have tended to be the best experience for me. Some of the DR locals on the board could probably advise you on that better. The catholic church is an international church and it would be a shame to pass up on an opportunity to see a new prospective.

Bruce

La Profesora

Jun 23, 2002
It depends where you are staying. There is a Mass at ten AM in the Cathedral. It is often bilingual. Also, there is a Mass in English at 11:30 at the Puerto Plata Village Hotel in the Playa Dorada. Tourists from the Playa Dorada and Costa Dorada can get to that fairly easily.

If you are staying in Costambar or Cofresi, there is a Mass in English there too, I think at eight thirty AM. I am not certain where that Mass is celebrated, however.

My experience with tour reps and hotel reception areas is that most do not know where or when the Mass in English is celebrated. We often have people arrive very early for Mass because they were told ten thirty or eleven in the Playa Dorada.

If you will be in Sos?a, there is a Mass there (San Antonio de Padua) at ten AM on Sundays. That Mass, I believe, is in English or is bilingual. Both priests of that parish speak enough English to be able to celebrate the Mass in it.

It is true, also, that if you have any background in Latin, the Mass in Spanish is easy enough to follow.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Go to the Cathedral by the Central Park. You will enjoy it more.

Especially if you want Midnight Mass.

Et cum spiritu tuo

HB, Yes I was!!

pwo

Dec 4, 2002
Thanks for all your responses. We will be staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. Is the "Catedral San Felipe" (reply from A.J.) and "Cathedral by the Central Park" (reply from Hillbilly) the same place? Is it walking distance, or will we need a taxi?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
You will need to take a taxi and yes it is the same church. There are plenty of taxis around central park that it will be easy for you to catch a cab to get back to the hotel.