Setup cost? Up North?

Alex_Hogg_UK

Dec 3, 2002
Let's just say that I wanted to move to the DR.

And let's just say (purely hypothetically speaking ;) ) that I rather liked it up north, well away from the likes of Sant. Dom. After a few vacations (and yes I know living is not the same as vacationing) around Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete one has rather developed a taste for the area.

What are setup and living costs accociated? What's the "red tape" like? What skills are in demand outside of the tourist stuff? Everything basically. :)

Alex.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The first thing you should do is click "search" at top of this page, then search the archives for information on moving to the DR, working in the DR, living in the DR, etc. There is a wealth of information already there.

With respect to red tape, if you expect to remain here and work, then you will need to get your residency. Information on that process also available in the archives.

Your question as presently asked is far too broad. See how much you can find in the archives, then ask questions to fill in the blanks.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Ken is (AGAIIIIN) absolutely right, check the archives for your basic info then come back to us for more specific answers. How many of you are coming? What sort of a life-style do you want?

Once you have checked the archives, try & get a short break over here NOT living in the A.I. hotels. A decent hotel room on the outskirts of Puerto Plata & on the sea-front - US $28 per night. Food & drink is not suplied but self catering is available & local 'Bistros' are just down the street. End of April/early May is best time for cheap "Flight only" seats - ?350 or less is GOOD.

General living is MUCH cheaper than England but you have to be more careful with electricity useage!! You CAN live on as little as RD $15,000 per month (?500 to you) but you can also spend a lot more if you need to. Drop me an e-mail when you have specific questions & I'll try to answer within a few days. Where are you from in the UK? I might have some friends in a similar situation (wanting to come live here) near you that you can compare notes with.
Have fun with all the studying & start learning Spanish NOW!!
Good luck - Grahame.

Alex_Hogg_UK

Dec 3, 2002
Silly me. I've used various boards for years and I didn't think to check the archives! I'll peruse those sources more before asking many more questions!

I speak English, French and German. Trust me to fall for the island where Spanish is No.1. Ah well, I'm a good/fast learner, so hopefully I'll do okay on that front at least.

I do have one fairly specific question though. Not counting a certain amount set aside as my "emergency fund", I will have about ?15,000 or so to spend on my moving and initial costs, together with a seperate fund if I have problems initially jobwise.

The question actually is.... Given that I can suport myself for a time with existing funds, is it considered better to "move" as early in the process as possible, so that I am learning/improving "real/local Spanish" as soon as possible, or to come later after having spent more time in evening courses (learing more grammatically correct) etc here in the UK before coming?

Perhaps a shorter way of asking is, "Is the Spanish as important for skilled work/business as it is for everyday life?"

Many thanks for your time,

Alex.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Regarding Spanish, unless you possess a skill so in demand that people will accept you even though you speak no Spanish, it is important. The more fluent you are the better, but as long as you can communicate you should be able to get started in something where fluency isn't a criteria.

Don't be afraid to ask people to speak more slowly (m?s despacio, por favor). You'll be able to converse long before you can understand what is being rattled off by a Dominican at full speed.

The fact that you have already mastered several languages suggests that you'll need less than the average time to reach the level of being able to make yourself understood.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
One "Problem" that the English have to "Solve" is....

...when they go someplace,they want to take "England" along too! You want to "Move" to the DR? Well,pack a bag and come!You don't need all your "English" stuff! I came here 7 years ago,with the clothes on my back and a "Dream"!(The "Dream" [part is "poetic" Bullshit!) Now, I have accumulated a house full of "Stuff" that I didn't have to move here.So bring a change of "underware"(do the "English wear "underware"?) your 15,000 pounds(are you that fat?...."thats their "dollars" stupid!") and get your"Butt" over here! .....but you really don't need any "residency,or "work Papers",just "money"! CRIS

Alex_Hogg_UK

Dec 3, 2002
Well, thanks for the two sides of the coin!

As far as being typically english, I think people can rest assured that I am very cosmopolitan. I was born and lived most of my 31 years here in the UK. But my "blood" is continental European, with a tiny dash from the dim and distant past of Scottish.

As for underwear, well, usually yes unless I am in swimwear or wearing traditional Scottish dress!

Alex.