OH MY....The Noise!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Is this what I am to expect all Christmas season? Party in the park in front of my apartment. Not too bad. Sort of a battle with the Christians and the "sinners". The bible people had a get together and there was a concert with some merengue bands in the same park at the same time. Couldn't even take my nap! Now its 12:04 AM and still the music plays...LOUD! The "christians" all went home but the "sinners" are still partying real loud. Love the Colonial Zone but its Thursday...whats in store for the reat of the Christmas month? Anyone know where I can buy a good set of ear plugs???
But still love this country! Right now don't know why but still do!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ear plugs at Americana Hardware store...
Wait until the fireworks start at all hours...

Me quiet here in Santiago...yeah, right!!

HB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Jan...my hero!
I have the perfect solution to your problem...

How about we "swap" apartments for the month of December?

You could come here to Miami, stay in my nice, quiet, clean 3 bedroom townhouse in Kendall...with your own parking space, gated fence, pool, clubhouse, gym etc...

I am all for helping a friend out, and can't stand to see you suffer so much with all that noise!

Don't worry about me, since I became a "mimi" I have lost some of my hearing also...therefore, it won't bother me as much!

How about it?

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
That's the irony of it all in the DR... those Christian services and parties are always the loudest. Used to be we couldn't hold meetings at the orphanage when the church services were going on next door. Couldn't hear what anyone was saying over the music...

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
All is quiet so far tonigh. But about 10 it should be picking up again for the normal Friday night antics. I was so stressed today after no sleep, power went out in the middle of doing laundry. Couldn't go to the gym..didn't have any dry clothes. Went to the elecrtic company to deal with the problem. Was a mess there. By this time I was so frustrated I got in a dispute at the bank and they made me leave! Can't believe I got kicked out of a bank! Then cell phone died. But its Ok. It's good to get all the bad over in one day instead of stretching it out.
So got my Brugal...going to take a nap..then I'll be ready for a good Friday night!
Love this country...(Right now I'm saying this through clenched teeth)!
jejejeje

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Don't for a minute think that all the "bad" is over with!There will be more, bet on it.

The colonial zone always seemed pretty quiet to me.

I live above a colmado and it is quiet for the most part. There are nights of loud music and partying. Why Dominicans need to crank music to way past distortion is beyond me!

Then there is ONE Colmado customer that drives me nuts. I could be in my bedroom in the BACK of the apartment and he will be sitting out in front of the colmado talking excruciatingly loud! I know Dominicans talk at least twice as loud as any other nationality but this guys is incredibly louder than any other person I have ever heard.

The first time I heard him, I walked out front to the baclony, having to open my bedroom door and balcony door both of which were closed. I had to see how far away the person he was talking to was, and possibly suggest they move closer;-)

He was talking to 3 guys, none of which was more than 6 feet from him. The guy right next to him has to have suffered hearing loss. I've been to AC DC concerts with less volume!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Why do we listen to LOUD music?......I'm convinced its in the blood, and its the merengue and bachata...when my daughter was barely 2 years old, riding in my car, listening to Alex Bueno...some of her very first words were......"louder daddy, loud"..

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Reason for loud music

The Jews circumcise their babies the Dominicans pierce their eardrums.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You're right about the damaged ear drums, Eddy. I read an article in Readers' Digest that said if you feel pain or discomfort in your ears, then you are doing irreparable damage to your eardrums. I've felt such pain more than once, especially when in the confined space of a guagua or publico and seated too close to the speaker. I'm sure one reason why Dominicans talk too loud and play music too loud is due to the previous damage done to their eardrums. To hear, the music/voice must be loud, which often results in further damage.

Asi es la vida en la Rep?blica Dominicana.
jammin.gif

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know about that Ken. I've been going to rock concerts for years and there is nothing wrong with my hearing. What? What did you say? Speak up sonny!