Question

Claudia

Jan 8, 2002
Hi, can anyone tell me how long does a tourist have before he has to pay?? i.e. my husband came into the country on Sept. 20th this year. He's leaving tomorrow to the U.S.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
90 days on a tourist card

So December 2oth would be the day.

Keep in mind the fine if you want to call it that is so miniscule it is often less than the cost of another tourist card and you don't have a big deal to face for an overstay - they even have a booth at the airport just for this payment.

When the government gets to the point of setting up a booth it is a routine thing not a big punitive thing. The Australians by comparison have a booth too, it's called a jail cell pending your deportation on day 91.

I had a friend leave the DR for NYC after about 20 months (17 month overstay) , he paid RD$350. $less than $17 US, e.g.

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
Claudia, if my memory serves me well, I think that you have tourist status in the RD for up to 3 months. Passed that you have to research about changing your status.

Given that your husband is leaving the country, he may have to pay US$ 20.00 for departure tax, and because he over-stayed that should not be an issue.

My wife overstayed for 2 years and had to pay RD$500.00.
It is was not written on paper but she was forced to bribe someone because they were going to make her lose here flight.
I am not suggesting that your husband goes and bribe, he should stick to the rules, I just hope they are written rules and not word of mouth.

HTH

Last edited:

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
ajicaribe said:
Claudia, if my memory serves me well, I think that you have tourist status in the RD for up to 3 months. Passed that you have to research about changing your status.

Given that your husband is leaving the country, he may have to pay US$ 20.00 for departure tax, and because he over-stayed that should not be an issue.

It is was not written on paper but she was forced to bribe someone because they were going to make her lose here flight.
I am not suggesting that your husband goes and bribe, he should stick to the rules, I just hope they are written rules and not word of mouth.

HTH

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's 90 days - here's the facts, vs. old horror stories

ajicaribe said:
up to 3 months..

1. It's 90 days not 3 months and there is a small chance someone will do the math. Either way per the requests ( 9/20 to 12/6) the time was not an issue there. They ask you right on the tourist card how many days (not months) are you staying, so you can put 1-90 in there.

2. At SDQ anyway, everyone pays departure tax of $10 US, not $20 and often like with AA it's in the ticket now. Thank God. No more stickers and stamps.

3. For the excess stay fee/tax/fine whatever you want to call it: there is a booth for this purpose with a sign which says: "For the use of tourists who have overstayed their tourist card"

It is official, it is not a bribe - you just tell them you are a month or 6 months late - then you go to the booth where there is a set scale and you pay and go, you are not tossed in the pokey or are bribing anyone or doing anything backhanded.

Tourists and non regular visitors and non residents need to know what is the straight dope.