Please help me

Cassandra

Dec 6, 2002
We are in the process of immigrating to the DR, we will be taking a car and personal items, oh and 2 dogs (Alsations)!!!

Please could everyone help me with the following questions:

- Where in DR do you advise a family with 2 kids to move to? (because of schooling and medical)

- How do I go about purchasing a Villa (Realestate Agent or other form)?

- Who would you advise to sort out all our legal documentation (lawyer or Solicitor)?

Hoping to hear from you all very soon.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If your serious about living here, then you better get serious about doing some research about the DR. I would spend at least 4 or 5 hours going over the archives and performing multiple searches on the subject. We have thousands of posts related to this topic.

The fact that you are looking to import a car, tells me you have done no research!

I suggest you come back to the board with more specific questions and you will get many people giving you more specific answers. We are here to help and do a very good job at helping :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The best schools and medical services are in Santo Domingo, but that may not be what you are looking for, especially if you want easy access to the beach. Santiago another good possibility, but it, too, is far from the beach.

I live in Sosua and there are a couple of private schools here. But since you didn't mention the ages of your children, it is a little hard to know what to suggest. Except that if you prefer a school that is recognized by the US universities, then Carol Morgan in Santo Domingo should be considered.

Do not buy anything or sign anything without being advised by a good, honest lawyer. My first choice would be Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions to the legal section. You can "meet" him at www.drlawyer.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The ol' Hillbilly advice is this: DO WHAT THEY SAY!!!

Major decision, major thinking required...please, pretty please do some..

HB

Cassandra

Dec 6, 2002
Hi Robert,
You right I am definetely starting some firm research and learning so much from all these threads (ouch, you made me feel like an ignorant child that just got scolded lol. :) )
Hi Ken,
Thank you for taking the time in answering me (I want my kids to go to a Spanish School) they are 13 and 9. I was thinking of moving to Sosua, but it is always nice to hear from Locals where the best places are. Thanx for the advise on the lawyer.
Hi Hillbilly,
You led me to believe that you know more than you are willing to write....., dont be shy, hit me with it.... I am a big girl.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Cassandra, I have seen more people come and go than I care to remember and Hillbilly has seen 10x more :)

Most blame the Dominican Republic, but in reality, it was their lack of research and adaptability skills that ultimately sent them back home.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Take a bit of serious research time,think about staying for an extended vacation before moving here and uprooting your childrens lives.Have you been here before ?Living here is very different from being on holiday.Good luck
J.H.:cool:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What is a"Villa"? and how much do they cost?

I have a really nice 2 story house in Santo Domingo,Arroyo Hondo., section,that I will sell you for $250,000 US.700 sq.meters of land,3000 sq ft, house,4 bedrooms,2-1/2 baths,3 balconies,maids area,20,000 watt diesel generator,water well,cistern,high wall,electric remote control gate.3 dogs,coconut trees,mango trees,avacado trees,bananas,papayas, grapefruit,and a breadfruit tree,great view of Santo Domingo,all my furniture,(Wife and kids negotiable!) Santo Domingo is 1 hour from Juan Dolio beach,and closer to BocaChica.I wouldn't want to undergo medical treatment anywhere on the island but in Santo Domingo.All the really sick patients that don't die elseware(Who have money) are transported here.Education is good in Santiago,and in Santo Domingo.Most people think that it is "cheap" to live here.Nice beach house $35,000 US,try $350,000 US to start.You can live in the "Hills & Hollers" of West Virginia for free,but you might want indoor plumbing and electricity,so that would cost more! (Sorry "Hillbilly")I doubt that you are doing more than just "Dreaming" on a COLD night in Canada,or where ever.CRIS

Last edited:

Cassandra

Dec 6, 2002
Criss,
Sorry, a "Villa" is a term used by us Europeans (I am not American) for a house with garden around it and swimming pool, in a closed complex.

I do however thank you for the info. (You may however keep yr 3 dogs / kids and wife lol).

john harper

Jan 1, 2002
I always think back to some advice i was given by some expats,The average length of time all these people stay till they head back home [ 6 ] weeks think long and hard about jumpimg into a move like this..

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I also have a 2 bdrm, beachfront condo in Juan Dolio, gated garder-with pool and parking. 2nd floor,110 sq.meters,2 bathrooms, with balconey and generator. These units sell for about $80,000US. Then there condo fees of $100US per month, water bills, maintenance, electric (when it's available) etc.etc.
It costs me as much to live per month in the DR as it does at home in Canada where I have a private home (with pool) that is 4x the size that must be heated all winter (at least 6-7 months of the year) and air-conditioned in the summer so electric and natural gas bills are much more than in the DR.I also pay $3600. a year in property tax at home which does not exist in the DR.
Go figure!! Living in the DR may be a dream come true but cheap it ain't!!