The gravitational pull of the DR

sanchegp

Nov 18, 2002
Gang,

For a very long time I have been struggling to understand what is it about the DR that exerts such a powerful pull to all of those that have either been born in the DR or have had enough exposure to it to become addicted. I say this because over 15 years ago I left the DR (Jarabacoa) to look for a better future in the big city (NY) and although I have done relatively well for myself, I have been unable to let go of that incredible past I left behind (I was 13 when I arrived). In that 15+ years span, I have gone through a bunch of transitions...went to school, got an education, got married, have a kid, got a prestigious job at one of the top investment banks, have owned a successful business...have traveled quite a bit, etc. YET, I have been unable let go of my past in the DR...in fact, my dream has always been to go back there on a permanent basis...even as a 13 year old kid. I continue to visit the DR at least once/twice a year and I continue to feel a weird closeness to it that I cannot comprehend. The funny part is that out of 100 Dominicans I meet a very high percentage feel a similar passion for the DR. All of my 5 brothers and sisters that also live in NY feel the same way I do, although some of them came to the US a lot younger than me.

So, as you might imagine, I spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out what it is about the DR that exerts such a gravitational pull....here's some of the weird conclusions I've come to understand:

Human Nature:
Human nature dictates that it is a lot easier for us to let our instincts dictate the course of action that we take. This means that, other things being equal, we feel a lot more comfortable with ourselves when we're free to do as we please...without the inherent restrictions that a democratic/capitalist system imposes. The previous statement may sound contradictory but the truth is that the more a democratic system develops, the more rules and regulations that need to be imposed...finally culminating in a highly restrictive system....where the instinctive expression of the human mind has little room to move in...and therefore, needs to be suppressed. A highly sophisticated democracy, by nature, requires highly restrictive rules and regulations to control the "human greed". This concept, which is the origin of the US constitution (the document that dictates the legal system) has a profound effect on society as a whole. In its pure translation, what this means is that we (humans) are BAD by nature...and therefore need to be constrained...

It is interesting to note that one of the top complaints about the Dominican Republic is it's loose democracy...corruption...legal system...and the fact that there are no rules and regulations controlling peoples' behavior. The praises, on the other hand, are: freedom to do whatever the hell you want, ability to get things done...as long as you know how to deal with people, the ability to conquer(?) a beautiful women with relatively ease...and more. The fact of the matter is that DR is what it is because it has not found a cure for the deceases mentioned above. In other words, as soon as we cure the democratic system, corruption and all other malices...the DR will no longer be ther DR...it's essence will defuse into the air of modernism and Santo Domingo will be just like Miami...I think that "La cura resulta mas cara que la enfermedad"....

I am aware that we all want the best for the DR and that my assessment of the situation may sound a bit rough...lacking principles and morals...and probably more importantly, lacking hope. But my friends, I've come to understand that you "cannot have the cake and eat it too"...that there's a certain give and take in life called compromise...and that the combination of black and while = gray. I've come to understand that absolutes don't exist...at least in this world...and that in mathematics 2+2=4 only because it is derived from a logic that could have as well been 2+5=4....

?Los arroyuelos son capilares que hacen su recorrido con una meta firme?la de llegar al r?o y desenbocar su caudal. Los r?os, ya alimentados por sus capilares contin?an el recorrido hacia un final que sus antecedendes desconocen?el mar. El mar, calmadamente esperando la llegada del r?o, parece estar dormido por momentos pero las olas le recuerdan que son sus manos y que hay trabajo por hacer. Las olas comienzan a extremecerse poco a poco extrellandose contra las rocas orillentas creando as? una brisa placentera. Las palmeras, que est?n cerca, comienzan a sonre?r por la llegada de la brisa y bailan juntas hasta que toda la faz de la tierra baila con ellas?y as? se forma el viento?.?

This could go on forever but I need to cut it before it is restricted....and boring...any reaction(s) are welcomed.Human Nature

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Excellent post. I couldn't have put it in better words. I am from pakistan and grew up in USA. For me, its the freedom to do what ever I want at whatever time of the day, (almost) absolutely no restrictions if you know the right people. I have no problems here and for the first time in my life, I am a happy man.
Viva republica!!!!!!

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Free Country

I always said there is more freedom in DR than in the USA. I just wish they'd enforce some traffic laws though. Gravitational pull?? The Christmas trip will be number 25!!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Great post!!
I was born and raised on the east coast of Canada,have had what I consider a very successful and fulfilling life so far,arrive in the D.R. first time on vacation in Sept.1981 on vacation within 3 years had made several trips and made the move.Even with all the changes good and bad I have no regrets ,the island has a strange bewitching effect on freedom loving people and Dominicans are some of the most open warm people Ive ever had the pleasure of meeting.Esta mi Pays ahora.Oh yeah did I forget to mention the babes:bandit:
Johnny Honda lovin it.:cool:

sanchegp

Nov 18, 2002
Sorry...another long one...I promise to keep it short next time.

I am happy that you are enjoying your prolonged stay and/or short trip in the DR. I am, on the other hand, still battling between here and there....and the inexplicable reverse pull that the perceived physical beauty of modernism plays on you. For as much as I recall my moments of complete bliss in the DR...I am still tied to the string of capitalism...that inexplicable force that often affects us beyond economics. As much as I try undermining the irrelevance of material things, the mind plays tricks on me and won't let it go. As much as I'd like to believe that I can be happy without air conditioning, driving a car and dining in a nice restaurant...I am still attached to it. I think am close though as I am beginning to realize stuff that never even made it to my short memory. I am starting to put things together in a more coherent fashion which is signaling some realization...I hope. I guess there's a truth that you guys have discovered that I have not...or, perhaps, I am just fantasizing for not having the "balls" to make a decision...whatever the case may be...I know am close.

So the TRUTH, my friends, is my longing. My indecision, on the other hand, is a reminder that I have not found the TRUTH and therefore I have no option but to listen to its whispers (vivir en RD? estas loco?...y la educacion de tu hijo, los mosquitos, la corrupcion, la economia...ni loco que yo este...). This calling is a decoy...it pulls you in impulsively through its false promises but again and again we continue to fall...because the TRUTH has yet to be discovered. In fact, "The Calling" is so deceitful that it leads you to believe that it will show you the way to THE TRUTH and time and time again it changes the story on you....and it repeats the same cycle that it's been playing with you all along. Although when we find THE TRUTH we think that we've been looking for it all along, the reality is that it is found accidentally...we bump with it unintentionally and we look back at the world with a certain laughter since we then discovered that all of the other souls left behind are a bunch of blindfolded instruments without direction....and the only thing that the founder of THE TRUTH can think of is....."Only if they knew"

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I can't get as elaborate as you all. But I found when I came here I love the people, the life style. As I have said before the thing I like the most and also hate the most is that life is slow..tranquilo.
I just hope to be able to stay in this wonderful frustrating country forever!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
The "pull" has resulted in

21 trips in 3 years, causing the following phenomenons;

First trip to DR: 6/00
Married in Boca Chica: 6/01
Brought home in SD: 9/02

I don't know if being born in the tropics and then getting "yanked" out has something to do with it, but it sure feels natural down there
:cool:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sanchegp: Are you by any chance my long lost twin? It's amazing...As I read your post It's like you're talking about me. Just like you I grew up in the DR, even though in my case I was 17 when I left the country. I've made my life here in the US, but find myself with that longing to go back and live there permanently, while at the same time being pulled to stay here a little bit longer until I'm more financially secure, etc. In other words I also find myself undecided and torn between the life I know I could have down there and the life I now have here. Just like you I feel that I don't belong here nor there, but still very confortable and in heaven when I'm HOME...which to me is The DR, in spite of being a US citizen. I KNOW that one of these days I'm just going to have to throw it all to the wind and say "Screw it!" and just go, 'cause in the end my friend, people like you and I will continue making excuses forever unless we, like the Nike adds say "Just Do It". As for me, I'm still staying put...still undecided...

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
Then that's where my case comes in....I will not let myself make up excuses forever, like many people. I'm going to "Just do it"...and "I'm shi**ing bricks" let me tell you...but I'm ready for the battle. I'm only 21 years old ...so I figured that I might as well adventure now while I still would be able to take on any obstacles that pop in my way....But life in the Dominican Republic...is definately worth overcoming any obstacles to achive one's goal.

KP

WendyPavo

Dec 13, 2002
Me too!! Although mine is a story of chance.
My first visit to RD was the result of a last minute, "hot deals", vacation package to Puerto Plata. As I was to leave for Law School in 6 weeks, I didn't care where I went, I simply desired a good price and a tropical destination.
Much to my surprise, after spending only 8 short days on the island, I boarded my return flight wondering "what is this all about" ....
... what is the foundation for the happiness that these people derive from a lifestyle that Americans would label as "poverty stricken" and "unfortunate" ... what is the fancy footwork that results from a simple Merengue dance ... what is about the water from a fresh green coconut that leaves one wanting more .... what is it about the Bachata music that makes it impossible for me to sit still ... what is it about the local dishes that make "bland" foods actually taste good ... what is it about the culture that allows the natives to treat complete strangers as though they are kin ... and what is it about the warm sun and trade winds in your face and hair that makes you feels as though you are experiencing the most carefree moment of your life?
Needless to say, although embarking in law school was a big deal, finding once-in-a-lifetime answers to these questions was an even bigger deal. So, I returned to the States, sold everything I owned (with the exception of shorts, t-shirts, and my camera), and began my life in RD.
The decision turned out to be the most rewarding of my life. Words simply don't do justice to the simple, compasionate, and fun-loving nature of the Dominican people.
And, although I have since returned to the US, and only been back for 8 months, I am already experiencing the "gravitational pull", and have no doubt that I will make a permanent return to the island before next Fall!! ;)

sanchegp

Nov 18, 2002
I give up and admit that I am unable to be brief...sorry for another long one...

WendyPavo,

Therein lies the secret...the secret is not in the food as a chemical compound that when in contact with the warm, wet tongue produces a measurable flavor..it is not in the beauty of its rivers, beaches, mountains and the aroma of a fruit....the beauty is not even in the smiling face of a beautiful 20-year old mulata, full of life and ambition..........the beauty, my friends, lies in the combination of all these elements coming together by way of chance...disorganized by merit...yet producing such a cohesiveness that even the most organized system would envy. Beauty is untamed, disorganized and sincere....it originates somewhere between the uncontrollable part of our brain and the always ignorant heart....it has no time to think and always hangs out with blindfolded feelings...

An organized system, by nature, is psychologically unstable....it's instability is derived from the lack of focus that is dedicated to the human aspects that go beyond its controls. That is to say, the concept of an organization is based on the ability to control the actions and activities of human behavior and to manipulate it as it pleases. When an activity or thought escapes its controls, an organized system (or person) becomes unstable....resulting in series of questions without answers. The victim, who in this case is an embryo of the system, cannot understand why he does not have control of his environment, since he has had to sacrifice all his life to try to obtain the control of his destiny. In this case, its success does not justify its objectives (control). The discovery ignites a series of incoherent theories that only aggravates the situation since the solution to the problem goes beyond the possibilities, under which, the victim has been trained. The solution is found in the sublime thought that can only be obtained through the successful and complete disconnection from what we know (or have been taught)...and deviate from the systematic theories that 2+2=4.