Tourist card price globally ("research")

Santa C.

Dec 9, 2002
Hi everyone,

As a newbie I'd like to ask everyone what is the current price
of the tourist card in your home country? I mean with the possible
surcharge in addition to the US$10 which may be charged when buying the card abroad. Let's see if anyone can beat the price
in Finland which is equal to US$17.
For another thing, does anyone know if the price will be the same
(US$10) at DR airports after the turn of the year?

Santa

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Why do you pay a surcharge in Finland?

Or anywhere else for that matter?

They cost $10 US and you buy them at the airport on arrival if you want to, for $10 US. Simple as that. If someone has the nerve to charge 70% "surcharge" wait until you arrive.

If you fly on a package or charter they are often provided with the fare and you get them when you leave. So not free but provided. I only leave via Miami but I assume they have the same service at JFK or Boston and SJU as well, though waiting until arrival is not the end of the world, usually the line up offers enough waiting time to complete it.

AA in Miami sells them at international check-in and in the Admirals Clubs, for $10 US.

And nobody has said anything about raising the price on that at the airports in in DR either and why would they? They are getting in essence 250 pesos now almost and in the summer they were getting 165 pesos so there should be no need to increase what is plain and simple a tax.

Santa C.

Dec 9, 2002
Thank you Rick for your reply.
Well, I don't intend to pay. Although no British people were
replying I think they have to pay some 7 GBP which is only about
11 USD. Much more reasonable.
I'll be coming on a package so let's see if they have tourist cards
on the plane, if not, I'll buy that at the airport.
I've seen some speculations about raising the price but if that has happened quite recently I may have read some old stuff.

Dec 9, 2002
I have visited DR every year for the past 4 years and have always paid US$10 on arrival at Puerta Plata. I do know that the tourist card can be purchased in advance in Britain at a cost of ?8 which is around US$12, but it's so simple to get it on arrival that I've never considered buying in advance.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Who skins you for the extra buck?

sjh said:
We pay 11$ to buy them flying out of Newark NJ (EWR)

I thought the 1$ is worth the convience of filling it out on the plane

Continental? Wow. What a cheapskate deal for a lousy buck and I bet they don't pay $10 for them in bulk either.

I will buy 2 or 3 at once at AA Admirals Club or on arival at SDQ so then I only worry every 6 months about getting a few more.

Ths Finland thing, really who would pay a 70% surcharge for something you can grab in 1 minute usually at the airport.

Thieving rapscallions.