golo's tip in accomodation....

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
golo mentioned in a reply to a previous post that the 'all inclusives' sometimes take a walk-in for around $500. a day...

I've actually done the same thing for an impromtu Nile River cruise....with my wife and daughter....and a Captain with a big smile and some cash in his pocket....two berths for $USD 50....all inclusive.....the boat was full of drunkin poms on a Nile ****-up!

Any reader ever done this before in DR??

Think this would be possible in Jan-Feb or July-August? Ask to speak to the manager? 3 in a room for $USD 50...again?!
Can it be done in advance or strictly walk-in? A list of contacts?

I'd like to do this at 3-4 places around the island on my first visit, acting as a scout for the 2nd visit with my family..using the major bus lines to get from one to another and pre-arranging guided tours with local real estate agents in each area....mid Jan to the end of Feb.

Any advice or first hand stories appreciated....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It can't hurt to ask

If any place is under booked they may wheel and deal, though the more top heavy management the less empowerment the front line has so prepare for some inflexibility.

I doubt any AI would allow 3 people, all meals and drinks and the room for US$50 though.

For some with time share programs if you can stomach the sell job they may give you the day passes in exchange for 90 excruciating minutes.

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
Like the 'free' boat trip to St Barts!

We got that one in St. Martin several years ago.....and we are still looking at RE....

1 person for $USD20? if it's slow??

Thanks for the info..

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I can tell you one thing us $20 per person all inclusive,surely you jest.I work for Occidental hotels and I will guarantee you the cheapest you will get is $35 p.p.p.d. and thats if you know someone,$45 if you dont.I really would be afraid to eat the food in a buffet in a hotel thats charging $20 a day.I believe the Salvation army hostels have a rate close to that.:confused:
J.H.:confused:

Last edited:

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
It was a PISSUP and that means 'on a binge'

in pommy talk, which is slang for englishmen still loyal to the queen!

was that $45 for 3 travelers per day.....all the **** you can drink included???

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Re: It was a PISSUP and that means 'on a binge'

goneglobal said:

was that $45 for 3 travelers per day.....all the **** you can drink included???
No!
p.p.p.d. means per person per day.
J.H.:confused: :alien:

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
meet me at the pool...keys for cash ?

I'll be wearing a seer-sucker suit with a white panama...

only joking...but I guess golo got it wrong with his $500 per day -
(1 person) 'plan'....

looks like I'll be sleeping on the beach!

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Re: It was a PISSUP and that means 'on a binge'

goneglobal said:

I thought it stood for Prisoners of Mother England
(probably why they get pissed every time HM customs let 'em out) ;)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Golo Tariff

I'm not sure where the $500 per day pesos came into as a standard rate for walk-ins at all-inclusives. But what I know is based on experience for business travellers and salesmen who use the route. Most, if not all, hotels give a discount to business travellers, sometimes with company arrangements.

In many hotels, if you just mention your company and that you are in business they will honor a 10% discount. For instance, in Villas Bavaro, which has the lowest rate goes around $500. But with the dollar hike things may have changed.

TW