1 way ticket?

potsy

Dec 10, 2002
I am arriving in Dominican Rep. within the next week and a half and I will be working in the country. I understand that I don't need a visa to work in DR, please let me know if I'm incorrect on that one. My other question is am I allowed to enter the country with a one way ticket or does immigration require a return ticket? Thank you for any help you can provide me with.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We will see what Fabio Guzman says, but my understanding is that you must have a return ticket unless you are a citizen or legal resident of the DR. Most countries have such a requirement to insure that you don't become a responsibility of that country.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have heard that they sometimes ask you where your return ticket is and sometimes they dont.If they ask you for it and you dont have one they would probably make you buy a return ticket before letting you into the country.Kind of a crap shoot.
Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Our neighbors just arrived for a 5 month stay in the condo they own. They hadn't planned on buying a return ticket because they weren't sure when they would go back and because "open" tickets are prohibitively expensive. However, when they got to the airport, they found that they couldn't board the plane without a return ticket. Needless to say, they now know the exact date and time of their departure.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You do need a visa or residency to work legally in the Dominican Republic. I don't know of any country in the world that allows tourists to work. The fact that many foreigners come to the DR and do it does not make it legal. It isn't legal either when Dominicans go the US on a tourist visa and start working. In the US people who do this are called "illegal aliens". (I have always found this expression sort of cute.)

Immigration officers don't always ask for the return ticket.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Have to Concur

jazzcom said:
I have been there 15 times in the last two years and never been asked for anything but a passport.

You do NOT need a round trip ticket.

I have travelled to DR 14 times since 2000 - with return tickets of course but as for proving it?

Since they don't ASK you anything the matter is hardly going to come up.

As to working without a visa I guess you could get caught, but the wages are such a pittance I cannot imagine working anyway.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My neighbors weren't asked for a return ticket by an official in the DR. They weren't allowed to board the plane for the flight here without a return ticket. They were told that this was the DR rule and that it was being implemented by the airline.

From what has been said by others, it appears that if you can get on the plane without a return ticket you will be able to enter the country without difficulty. I assume you will have something with you that proves you are going to be teaching in a school in the DR that you can show if you should be stopped by a DR official.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
I've been asked for a return ticket twice at POP airport. My girlfriend had to buy a cheap ticket to PR to get into the country a few months ago.....

Marina