Rooting for the "wrong" party in the DR

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Here's an interesting article in El Nacional about the trials and tribulations of a Dominican businessman who refused to pay money to the party in power (Basically rooted for the wrong party). I'm familiar with this company and I had no idea this was happenning to this guy. This just illustrates what can happen to you in The DR if you don't "play ball" with those in power.

http://www.elnacional.com.do/Diciembre2002/10122002/nacionales2.htm

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
"Palo si bogas, palo si no bogas".

It reminds me of those mafiosi who asked business-owners for money for "protection". Protection from themselves that is. The thing is that most businessmen contribute with ALL parties with a chance to win. The party representatives know that the businessman is giving money to all, but they don't care. I know first hand that it happens.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In the US, also, contributions are made to both major parties by big businesses, labor unions, professional associations. More given to one than other, depending on preference of the donor, but bets are covered by giving to both.

But there isn't the sort of retaliation that appears to occur in the DR.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Dimargo asked for it and he got it!!!!

What the report doesn't say is how he got to be a big shot originally. He did this by using the undercoatings of the political world and influence peddling. He was a political animal more than a businessman and he died by the political sword. Most real businessmen shun politics and simply give to all the parties alike so they don't have to kneel down to the political whims of the party. That's the Dominican way. If you live by it, you pay the price. I don't feel sorry for the guy. He stepped on some heavy toes himself.

TW