The Official Newbie Question

ZoomGirl

Dec 10, 2002
www.erin-cullingham.com
Hi.

My friends and I are in our mid-twenties. We have decided, just now, that we would like to go someplace warm for a winter getaway, and we are leaning toward the Dominican Republic. We don't know if we want to go to Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. We don't know where the fun is. We don't know what resorts are good...

I don't know THEIR criteria, but mine are as follows:
I prefer 3 to 4 star hotels. I can't afford the luxurious thing, and besides, as a non-luxurious person, it would just be wasted on me. I will want to tear it up and have some fun with my girlfriends. We want to meet people in or around our age group (see above). I want it to be sort of near the main area of "action." At the same time, I want a nice pool, preferably with a pool bar, at a resort with good entertainment and a nice beach.

Now, I can tell just by looking that Puerto Plata is a smidge cheaper. I, naturally, would gravitate toward that, unless y'all would like to educate me otherwise...

Can anyone help? I.e. pick out a hotel for me? And maybe pay for it? Ha.

Is Senor Poolbar here?
Hello?

Please help.
Thank you.

Oh, P.S. We are ToTaLlY hOtT.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Because it is a common Newbie question, there is a ton of info in the archives that you should read before you start asking questions. Your very broad question is too broad to get the sort of response you want because so many have written so much on the subject in the past.

Click the "search" button at the top of this page, then do a search for hotels in Puerto Plata and hotels in Punta Cana. You will get hundreds of hits, more than 150 for Puerto Plata, for example. Scroll down the list and read all the threads that sound like they may be of help. There are many of them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not in your age group. HOwever, according to sources, the place to go would be Cabarete. Lots of action on and off the beach. Totally walkable from end to end and reasonable.

the All-inclusives of Playa Dorada are very nice and some have pool bars, but I don't know which ones. I know that Dorado Club doesn't....

I think you and your friends will find more than they can handle on our North Shore. One of the advantages of Cabarete is that You are fairly near Sosua where there is plenty to do, also. Get 2 x 1 that way....

Enjoy.
Things to bring:
Safe sex equipment
OFF
Sun Block (30+)
swim suit
shorts
t-shirts
A light sweater-In case you go to someplace nice and cold, like Jamao.
Running shoes, flip flops

Some money.

Enjoy all!

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
While you are in the archives, ZoomGirl, do a search for sankis. You are going to meet many of them.

jbhermes

Sep 10, 2002
are you really?

Are you really totally hot or do you just like to sound obnoxious? Crap. Did I say that out loud? Now, before you go getting your hot little self in an uproar, I'm jokin with you! Sounds like Puerta Plata would be more your speed. I was in Punta Cana this year, and there wasn't much of a nightlife at our particular resort (Riu Maleo). That was fine with us, because after lying on the beach all day, we weren't up for too much nightlife anyway. This year, however, we are headed to Puerta Plata, the Riu Merengue, with our sons and their friend, ages 18, 19, and 20, for the very reasons you mentioned (for them). SO...that's probably not much help, huh? You can also check www.debbiesdominicantravel.com.

ZoomGirl

Dec 10, 2002
www.erin-cullingham.com
I never said that....

Eh...
I never said we were totally hot, I said we were ToTaLlY hOtT. In my Internet chat/message board experiences, you get a much better response to these types of Qs when you add that in there...

Anyway-
I did some searching and Jack Tar Village is standing out in my mind, but posibly only because I kinda know the JTV as a fun adults-only all-inclusive resort in Cancun. And that's kinda what I think we're into. Sun. Fun. Relaxation. Aaaah...

So, now I'm EXTRA stumped, because I formerly only knew of Punta Cana and Puerto Plata within the DR; these other places (Sosua and such?) are new and WAAAAY vague to me. So I will continue to search.

Thanks to everyone for the tips so far - and feel free to add more.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now, now, play nice. She might be totally nice, you never know...

The other places are really cool, especially Cabarete for young folks. I am sure that Ken, if you ask him nicely, will find some web sites for places in Sosua and Cabarete, he knows the area quite well....

Jack Tar was the first A-I in the Playa Dorada complex. it is located along the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th fairways of the golf course. You are close (couple of minutes to the complex entrance) to the highway, where you can catch buses to Sosua and Cabarete for about 1cdn$ going to the East and to POP , going to the West. Piece of cake!.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm nice as long as ZoomGirl promises not to post an SOS on how to find that cute sanki she met on the upcoming trip, or tries to convince us that the cute sanki is a great marriage prospect for her.

To get acquainted with Cabarete, ZoomGirl, see http://www.activecabarete.com/ For Sosua, you can start with http://www.sosua.com/

In addition to the above, do google searches for Sosua, Dominican Republic and Cabarete, Dominican Republic. Beside a lot of info, you'll get feedback from people who have visited both. A search of the archives for Sosua and Cabarete will produce even more information.

As Hillbilly indicated, getting between Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete on very inexpensive public transportation is easy. If this is the area you decide on, and if you want more info on getting around, let me know. Whichever one you stay in, the others deserve a visit.

Last edited:

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Re: I never said that....

ZoomGirl said:

Anyway-
I did some searching and Jack Tar Village is standing out in my mind, but posibly only because I kinda know the JTV as a fun adults-only all-inclusive resort in Cancun. And that's kinda what I think we're into. Sun. Fun. Relaxation. Aaaah...

Hey ZoomGirl,

I stayed at JTV in late August and had the absolute best trip to DR yet! It's all adults so no bratty kids running around, cannonballing in the pool and what not. It's a little old looking, but it's a really nice resort. The staff is among the most professional and efficient I've ever come across in any of the resorts or hotels I've stayed at. The shows are awesome! Plus there are a couple of discos in the area that are only a 5 - 10 minute walk away. The beach is quiet as the vendors aren't allowed to sell their stuff there. They also have a quiet pool and activities pool to suit any mood.

Hope this helps!

ZoomGirl

Dec 10, 2002
www.erin-cullingham.com
Yessssss...

It does help. Very muchly!
Thanks to all who, er, "contributed."

P.S. The Internet Chat/ToTaLlY hOtT thing was yust a yoke based in my experiences on Carribbean travel-related message boards. Senor Poolbar would stick up for me, if he were here...!

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
If you're looking for the best nightlife then I am tempted to say Santo Domingo. Definitely not a resort place unless you stay in Boca Chica but there's a lot of good clubs and cafes with a party every night of the week.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Hotties
Jack tar is good but its in a tourist complex with 13 hotels there are a couple of good discos Crazy Moon and Andromedas.However if you want outside action you will be going in to Puerto Plate and we dont want sankie reports when you get home.Cabarete is a windsurf,kitesurf laidback dude place lots of tourists your age also plenty of Sankies,if you want all inclusive try Edtrella del Mar.ENJOY
Johnny:cool:

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
HB's List

About your list HB. When I was in Sosua for Thanksgiving I brought sunscreen and a dozen condoms. I got back here with a sunburn and a dozen condoms.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, I can accept that you forgot to USE the sunscreen, but the condoms too? What were you thinking?
:)

New Guy

Feb 28, 2002
ZOOOMIE!!!!!!!!!!

It is I, Se?or Poolbar! I'm New Guy here and I don't post much because these fine and helpful people are more knowledgeable about all things Dominican. My opinion: form what I've read the Occidental Flamenco Bavaro in Punta Cana has the best disco in Punta Cana. Sosua has clubs, but few AI resorts, however it is only a short cab ride from the Puerto Plata resorts. There is nothing like LaBoom anywhere though.

As information for the rest of the Forum: ZoomGirl actually is totally hot, totally nice, very bright and extremely funny.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See? You guys!! Poolbar says she is nice.

Thanks Ken for the info and Debs, that was a super report on JTV. You are right on about the staff. A lot of them have been there for a good while, since JTV was the first A-I inthe complex.

Would be nice to see how she makes out..

As for you Kenosha....What can I saY? You don't travel in the 'right' circles....

A lobster red lawyer with a frustrated woodie! Now THAT I would pay to see!!

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Zoom- the following hotels in Playa Dorado have swim-up bars (I've stayed at them so I know) Jack Tar, Club on the Green, Gran Ventena and Puerto Plata Village. Stayed at Heavens but, embarresed to say can't remember, was a real drink fest. Most economical of the bunch if interested is always CotG, going there for third time in Jan.

ZoomGirl

Dec 10, 2002
www.erin-cullingham.com
Okay, this is good.

So tell me - this CotG joint... is it right on the beach? Inexpensiveness is important, but I think beachfront is a little more important.

I imagine, though, Jack Tar is not one of the "budget" resorts, is it...

Gaaaaaaah.
(Do not be alarmed - this is the sound I make when I get a Motrin-size Confusion Headache.)

HOLA POOLBAR!!!!
I'm so glad you're here! And eh...
...ThAnX 4 tHa PrOpS!

Ha.