Some curiosities of the last few days

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
-The InterAmerican Press Society announces that it is pleased with Dominican Republic's freedom of speech and the press.....curiously enough at about the same time Julito Hazim, the well known and most popular political talk show host threatens to leave his TV program and set it up in his own station because Hippo's people threatened the station owner. Reason: Julito's heavy criticism of the government's economic agenda. While that was going on, former Governor Governor of Dajabon Miguel Cruz gets arrested by the DNI after leaving a TV program because of his criticism against Hippo's economy. Just sheer coincidence...hehehe!

-The last two major kidnapping victims lived only blocks from one another in the same street and supposedly the police says the crimes are related, if only at least by sharing the same ...kidnappers?

-It has been heard that the week prior to the beginning of the collapse of the peso vs the dollar, many top government officials were seen conducting major exchange transactions to dollars. Of course, that has nothing to do with "insider" activities.

-If you recall the same thing happened during the Leonel administration during a similar crises where in one day US$53,000,000 disappeared.

-Pepegate had its hilarious side to it. It appears that Pepe boy was also a high level "maipiolo" or "pimp" who got some many government high officials hooked on girls that now they are all more afraid of this aspect of the business than getting involved in the fraud itself. The reason is many of these officials are very rich and have quantious properties and can easily lose everything to divorce settlements with their very upset wives. It has been rumored that even at the highest corridors in the national palace, some people who need wigs, but don't wear them were seen many times visiting suites at a famous 5 star hotel on Sarasota Avenue. Another dark colored high level young official with light colored eyes was seen as a regular at the Sarasota emporium. The fifth floor of that hotel was the hottest place in town. A senator who ended up seven feet under was one of Pepe Airlines favorite clients. In fact, Pepe had great initiative. He knows that the hottest meat commodity in the world today are Cuban girls. Every man on earth would like nothing better than wake up with one of those "guajiras" by their bedside. Pepe made dreams come true. QUE BOLA!!!!!

-Hippo's stock is so "down" that even baseball players don't want to have their pictures taken with him. At the just concluded awards ceremony in the national palace where all the top Dominican baseball players and some the oldtime stars were going to be recognized by Hippo, every major star skipped the show. It was so embarrassing that many major league top brassers showed up to support their "investments"(superstars) and get their pictures taken, but were not told of the reality of the situation. Officials from the Red Sox were stood up by Pedro. Sammy sent a "yes boy" to pick up his award. Manny Ramirez didn't even care to RSVP. Alex Rodriguez was even in DR, but was afraid to catch "dengue" from Hippo. Felipe Alou stayed in a hamaca sleeping. The only fool who showed up was Bartolo Colon. But then again, Bartolo show up to every sancocho in town anyway. Miguel Tejeda was the butt of jokes for having his picture taken the other day with Hippo. But Mickey, el que resuelve, still can't believe he really is the American League MVP. So he still has his shoes shined in a corner street.

TW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hippo is not the same as before. I was compelled to go to an inaguration party of a multicentro yesterday in santiago. I knew hippo was coming there so I had refused to join but I was contacted by the coordinator (a friend) and was asked to come in and at least give away my cards to the very rich and famous to attract business.
Unlike the last hippo sighting this new hippo was lacking all the charm and the hick talk that he is famous for. He didn't even have the same number of brasses accompanying him as the last time. The number of people were no where near the same amount as the last encounter I had with him. He was quiet and made no jokes or friendly comments to anyone. He came in briefly, said a few words and walked away with a cold face. Many guests didn't even show up until he had long departed from the event. I came in late as well so I wouldn't have to shake his hand. Many people knew the food (buffet) was from out of this world so most came late and stayed late to digest all the food while chatting the evening away with the most powerful people in santiago.
In short, Hippo was very quiet and seemed sad and greeted everyone with a cold face.

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
AZB

You are right on target!!! Most of the news reports coming out from palace reporters and gossipers reveal the same signs you described. On top of that the accusations made against his son related to rice smuggling by some people in the border have turned him even more sour. The guys is really going bananas. Will he end up like his godfather Antonio Guzman?

Tw

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
His son was not with him on this trip. His son could be confused for a movie star or a model. He is really handsome and always well dressed (expensive clothes). He is usually by his father's side and keeps a close contact with him and often time you have to go passed him first in order to even attempt to speak to the president. This guy seemed very confident / powerful and seemed to be running the show whenever hippo was in town. I spoke to him once and he was even referred to come and see me for his back condition. He is a busy man so I was not surprised that he never came.
I won't be surprised if he is really involved in some shady deals regarding smuggling and other related activities. The man seems 100% capable to carry out any task with total support of his gang that surrounds him and his dad.
On the positive note, he was very nice and pleasant to the point that I didn't even realize he was the president's son.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
AZB

Here's a report written by Victor Gomez Casanova, son of Victor Gomez Berges, who appears to be such good friend of this guy that he paints him like an angel. He disarms people with his politeness and lowkey attitude.I don't buy this stuff at all. Besides I don't trust "arroceros".

"RAMON HIPOLITO MEJIA GOMEZ.- Es el primer hijo del presidente Hip?lito Mej?a y do?a Rosa G?mez de Mej?a. Esa es la primera carta de presentaci?n que se da como referencia de este joven dominicano, presidente de la empresa RH Mej?a & Co., pero no es
esta la ?nica condici?n que pueda destacarse de este exitoso empresario.

Ram?n Hip?lito es Graduado suma cum laude en

agronom?a, en la Pontificia Universidad Madre y Maestra (PUCMM), con especialidad en negocios agr?colas. Hizo tambi?n una maestr?a en Negocios Internacionales en la Universidad de Carolina del Sur en Estados Unidos. Ram?n Hip?lito no llega a los 40 a?os

de edad. Casado con la Se?ora Yanet Rivera, es padre de Rosal?a, una hermosa ni?a de apenas a?o y medio de nacida, siendo la nieta m?s peque?a del Presidente.

SU EMPRESA.-

En 1992, al llegar de Carolina del Sur, donde hizo su Maestr?a, Ram?n Hip?lito empieza a trabajar con su padre en la empresa Agrocentro y en otros negocios de la familia, pero su aspiraci?n de independizarse econ?micamente y su deseo de asumir con responsabilidad retos personales de crecimiento profesional, le llevan a fundar en 1993 su Empresa RH Mej?a & Co., obteniendo para ese entonces la representaci?n en nuestro pa?s de la multinacional norteamericana Dole Corporation, productora de frutas y algunos derivados. Cabe destacar que producto del crecimiento que su empresa fue adquiriendo, sus tres hermanos se integraron uno tras otro al trabajo y desarrollo de la misma, lo cual se mantiene hasta el sol de hoy, y al margen de las influencias del poder, lo cual habla muy bien de todos ellos. As? se inicia su carrera empresarial, hace ya casi 10 a?os.

Durante su trayectoria como empresario, Ram?n Hip?lito se ha

ganado la confianza no solamente de sus clientes y relacionados, sino de todos sus compa?eros de estudios, de sus amigos y de quienes le conocemos como hombre de familia y trabajador, siendo sobre todo honesto, que no hace ostentaci?n de ser hijo del presidente ni de mostrar lo que ha ganado trabajando en base a su tenacidad y sacrificio. Es un fajador que no se ha hecho en base a ser hijo de don Hip?lito y do?a Rosa sino en base a ?l, siendo

aut?ntico, demostrando capacidad y luchando con esfuerzo. Ha demostrado tener luz propia, con su dedicaci?n y perseverancia, ha escalado por sus propios m?ritos, sin tener que usar a su padre como muleta.

SU EMPRESA Y EL GOBIERNO.-

Dando Datos se ha enterado que por disposici?n de su presidente, la Empresa RH Mej?a & Co. no realiza ning?n tipo de negocio con el Gobierno ni con ninguna instituci?n oficial, para evitar comentarios que puedan afectar la honorabilidad de sus principales ejecutivos, dada sus condiciones de hijos del presidente de la Rep?blica.

Todo lo anteriormente rese?ado, ha sido hecho con la finalidad de que quien no le conoce, sepa los or?genes y condiciones de

Ram?n Hip?lito y su empresa, dando datos de su persona y de su familia, para que usted como lector saque sus propias conclusiones sobre el accionar empresarial y la vida privada

de este j?ven, ya que al parecer, su seriedad y buen accionar no le han bastado para escapar a la maledicencia de algunos.

Aunque ?l por humildad no lo diga, suponemos que por su condici?n de ser hijo del presidente no quiera referirse a este tema p?blicamente, pero debe llegar el d?a en que en nuestro pa?s no se use la libertad para el libertinaje ni la democracia o la libre expresi?n del pensamiento para intentar da?ar honras y reputaciones bien ganadas con acusaciones ligeras e infundadas. Mi solidaridad con Ram?n Hip?lito"

TW

Kari

Mar 21, 2003
golo said:
-The last two major kidnapping victims lived only blocks from one another in the same street and supposedly the police says the crimes are related, if only at least by sharing the same ...kidnappers?

Kidnappings ? Say it isn't so. Does anyone have a link to more info about these crimes or a link that has information about the crime rates in the different areas of the DR ? Especially the Sosau area.

Also...what is the general attitide of the people of the DR ? I'm not sure how to word this. Is it more like the Florida Keys where it's a 'live and let live' atmosphere or it is more like Salem during the witch hunts? I know it's most likely some where in between but I'd like to get a sense of which side of the spectrum you feel it's on. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks :)

Kari

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Unless you are a very wealthy, well connected Dominican, you don't have to worry about kidnapping. Put it out of your mind.

There is apparently more than meets the eye to this kidnapping business. If you are interested in pursuing this, go to the General section and scroll down the list of threads for the last 6 months and look at the ones started by golo.

More like the Florida Keys than Salem.