Gift Suggestions for Future Travel

swolff1978

Dec 12, 2002
Hello all. On the advice of my aunt I will be giving an assorment of items to my cousin that will be visiting the DR (i learned that from what i've been reading) in March. One thread I've read suggested items like Off, SunBlock and a Disposable Camera. My aunt also suggested I get her a book about the DR by Frommers. Is there anything that anyone found that WISHED they would have had once the arrived in the DR? Any suggestions are very appreciated.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
If I were to give a book it would be:

Lonely Planet Dominican Republic and Haiti (Dominican Republic and Haiti, 2nd Ed)

I find it to be a bit more comprehensive than others. Although I also found that checking books out of the library and taking them with you is a better solution.

Of course nothing is better than hooking up with some nice locals/expats and finding out the great spots that aren't written about!

Also if you can find Deet that will work better than OFF, especially along the coast and warmer areas of the country. I myself lived in the mountains and rarely had to wear any type of bug spray.

I always tend to take more tshirts than pants, since you sweat buckets in the capital and other hot zones. Just a thought that way I got a way without having to do laundry more than once a week. Also if you buy a lot while your there then you can give away clothes you no longer need.

hope this helps!

kj

Serena

Jun 30, 2002
Little Flashlight for power outages, Dominican Republic: the Rough Guide, some Travelers Checks :)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
BEST book, bar none isn't Lonely Planet

swolff1978 said:
My aunt also suggested I get her a book about the DR by Frommers. Is there anything that anyone found that WISHED they would have had once the arrived in the DR? Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Get the just published MOON travel book called Dominican Republic (coincidentally enough) by Gaylord Dold.

Just the DR and detailed to the nth degree every square km.

Also from Magellans (www.magellans.com) in Santa Barbara CA, their Travel wash absolutely great for in sink cleaing of clothing in any kind of water.

SPF 30 sunblock if she burns - it is widely available in the DR but at 2-3X the cost of buying it here.

A Grundig Yacht Boy portable Shortwave radio is nice - not overly complex to work and you can receive (for me this is nice) CBC radio from Canada , and other English language broadcasts quite well.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depending on where she / he is going, scented candles are nice. A light sweater is often needed for air conditioned buses, cafes and business places. Like the beer, Dominicans like A/C at the nth degree.
Depending again on what the person is going to do-tourist or work in the countryside as a volunteer, a light cotton fleece blanket might be appreciated. I know it was my most prized possession for a few years! After 110F in the daytime 70 degrees at night is cold!
The radio idea is a good one. For lengthy stays it helps keep things in perspective...A Zenith Transceanic is what I have...
Shower flipflops are a must. In the tropics nobody should walk barefoot, at any time...
Thick cotton socks, athletic socks, are important to keep your feet dry...Good, comfortable shoes-closed...Leave the open toed ones for party-time.
Cotton undies are better than Victoria's Secret.

More long jeans than cutoffs.
Khakis are neat.
One "nice"outfit for special stuff...
What you would call a "First Aid Kit": Anti-biotic creme; alcohol swabs, Band Aids, Tylenol, Best cough syrup available; Anti-histamine lotion for itches (Calamine?), Anti-diarria pills or liquids.
First Aid pamflet.

HB

YOu can e-mail me with her 20, or I can send you my numbers....

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
swolff1978 said:
Hello all. On the advice of my aunt I will be giving an assorment of items to my cousin that will be visiting the DR (i learned that from what i've been reading) in March. One thread I've read suggested items like Off, SunBlock and a Disposable Camera. My aunt also suggested I get her a book about the DR by Frommers. Is there anything that anyone found that WISHED they would have had once the arrived in the DR? Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Do you mean gifts to give away to locals?

All the items you list can be bought in most towns down there. Having said that, they are likely cheaper where you live. Just don't show up with a suitcase full of disposable cameras or you might get into some conversations with the customs people.

I recommend getting your shoes shined by a shoe-shine kid (even if you're wearing sandals), buy one of them a meal, buy your souvenirs from the private vendors instead of at your AI, and do what you can to get money into the hands of the locals. May be better than trying to bring down gifts.

marc