Getting married

Dec 9, 2002
I am planning on getting married to a Dominican man next year and have been trying to do a bit of research on the net regarding what documentation I will need to take with me. But to be honest, there is so much stuff that I'm confused. We are not planning a wedding package at a hotel, but a small wedding in Puerta Plata city.

Has anyone else got married out there recently, and if so, can you tell me exactly what I need to take with me. Do I need my birth certificate translated, for instance?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If born in the US, have the Birth Certificate "certificado" by the Consulate. But I don't think it is really necessary. Your passport and any other document that says thet you are you. You will need a Certificate of Singleness, from the State Agency of Statistics that says that you are not married at this time.
A Health Certificate might also be a good thing to have. No AIDS, HERPES or other such stuff.

If getting married in the Church, get in touch with the Diocesis or the parrish-they are all in the phone books. If getting married by a JP, you should probably call before hand and make sure she is available.
HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are you Dominican?? IF NOT, this might hurt, so I apoligize beforehand---> Are you sure? 99% of the people on this board will tell you this is a train wrech waiting to happen. Just ask yourself these questions: Is this person educated, at least to your level? Are you sure he is not married or the father of three or four children? Does he have a Visa to visit the UK?
Does he have any credit beyond the Cell phone he carries? Does he have a bank account with a few thousand pesos in it? Do you send him money for his : Mother; father; sister; school etc etc?
Who pays for the phone calls? Have you done a background check on him? By a reputible lawyer or private investigator? What resort does he work at?

I realize all of this is inflamatory to a degree, but consider what would happen if Prince Harry were to attempt to wed a Dominican. For the Dominican to marry you is the same as his getting the Footbal Pool! Sure it can happen. Yesterday two people (husband and wife) from California won both the Lotto and the Pick 5 Lottery and the odds against that happening were 1 in 25,000,000,000,000 (25 trillion to one!)!! Those are about the odds of you finding Mr. Right at a resort.

HB

Dec 9, 2002
Now you sound like my mother!!!!

No, I'm not Dominican, I'm English. Yes, I am sure. I don't send him money, he has never asked for anything in the 4 years I have known him. He doesn't need a visa to visit UK, we'll be living over there.

Believe me, I am aware of all the pitfalls, and this has not been a quick decision for me. I'm not a slip of a kid, I'm a mature, sensible woman and I have read many of the postings on this site regarding marriage to local boys and can understand why people - including my mother! - would be concerned.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am so sorry!...

Let's say I sound like your Grandfather, to put things in proper perspective.

Here are some more questions you will have to face:
How do you feel about adultry?
How do you feel about affairs?
How on earth will you live on what he makes?
You don't expect to work here, do you?

One, final, piece of advice: Do not, under any circumstance, turn in your return flight!!!

HB, nevermore...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
And keep us posted! It would be nice to hear one "success" story.
Seems like many who posted here in the past about upcoming marriages are now posting asking how to "correct" their mistake or need help to get out from under!!

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I know of 6 familes of American men happily married to dominican women (myself included). 5 of the 6 cases were already in the US and raised in families with high moral values. One case met in the DR. None of these people met party girls in bars or in tourist areas. Only one of these girls needed a visa (or money). None had kids from previous marriages.

That being said, If you (male or female) go to some tourist trap in the DR (or anywhere else) and meet Mr or Ms Special someone, 99.9% of the time the only ones you will meet will be looking for your $$ or a visa.

The dominicans who dont need your money or a visa are simplely not interested in meeting foriegners... Especially old men and overweight women.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Shadley
Perfecto,I am not married but have been with the same Dominican lady for nigh on 13 years,she never asked for a visa because I told her right up front we would never be living in Canada,her reply I lived in Madrid for 4 years and I never want to leave my country again .This year I brought her to visit my Parents for their 50th wedding anniversary so I figured Id show her a bit of Canada as we got her a 3 month visa.After 3 weeks she was homesick and ready to come back.I did not meet her in a bar or in a tourist area either and she will only come to a bar with me on very special occasions.As you said dont look for quality in shitholes theyre only after your $$$ if theyre hanging around gringos in tourist zones.
Johnny:bandit:

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Johnny,

My wife and i have been married 7 years now and we are beginning the process of moving our family down to the DR next month.. As you and I both know there are many wonderful Dominican women, it is just that they won't be found hanging out with tourists in a bar.

Stephen

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]sjh[/B] said:
That being said, If you (male or female) go to some tourist trap in the DR (or anywhere else) and meet Mr or Ms Special someone, 99.9% of the time the only ones you will meet will be looking for your $$ or a visa.
Nobody's said better.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
To come back to your question regarding documents necessary to get married in the DR: You need your passport and a singleness certificate legalized and translated by a Dominican consulate in the UK. There are rural civil registry offices (Oficial?a de estado civil) not requiring a singleness certificate, but in most places they do.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominican babe: the GB consul here will provide you with a certificate of singleness, you have to make an appointment and fill in a form first if I remember correctly, there is a small fee but all pretty straightforward.

Here's my story.

Married to Dominican man - three years.

Met through work.

We live here, he's the main wage-earner.

Some cultural issues, sure, but nothing that one wouldn't expect when pairing up with someone from a different culture.

You see, it's not all about sankies and naive gringas or middle- aged guys and gorgeous 17-year-olds. My husband is more or less the sort of person (in terms of education, profession, social background) I would have expected to marry had I met such a person in my country, he just happens to be from a different country. And these days, with so much international travel and globalised business there is far more chance of that happening.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SEE?? Chirimoya...right on. Your education, social level, wage earner and so forth. Meet in a hotel? Not! If course there are hundreds of stories of highly successful marriages. I have been married to the same lady for nearly 37 years, and I don't think anyone on this board comes close to that.... Oh yes: First female Electro-Mechanical Engineer in Latin America; M.A. Math and Computer Science, tenured professor at PUCMM......And, she is from Mao!!

There has to be something beyond that "bond"...

There has to be intelligence, savoire faire, knowledge beyond merengue and salsa...

HB

Edited: And she married me, who smoked and caroused.....I lucked out...:)

Last edited: