Stirring the pot

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
I've been reading this board for a long time. I just registered since I think it's time I made a contribution. I answered the post about parking a computer hard drive.

After much study and many visits I've decided the DR is the place for me. I have to wrap up a few loose ends, like sell my condo and then I'll be on my way down. The board sure has changed a lot for the better. When I first started asking questions a couple of years ago, there were individuals who would go off on a tear about why I wouldn't want to live there , all the bad things, etc. instead of addressing the questions that were asked. Things seem to have improved greatly.

I still get amused sometimes when people start talking about corrupt politics, police bribes, unknown electric bills. I live in a country that suffers the same problems. The U.S. No, I'm not a communist, and yes, I was born in the U.S. Even though I'm only 50, it is not the same country I grew up in. At work we are no longer allowed to have a Christmas tree in our lobby, it's now a 'holiday' tree, and we can't have a sign saying Merry Christmas without having one that says "Happy Quanza", "Yom Kipper", and "Praise Allah", or whatever. My brother and I can't walk into a store or down the stree together without someone thinking we're gay. And the list goes on, and on.
Yes the DR has it's problems, but so does everywhere else. As I weigh the factors, I have decided I'd rather cope with the DR problems.
bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I know what you mean Bob. In order to please everyone we are losing the things we belive in. They change the words so that no one will be offended. I think that if you don't belive in celebrating Christmas then don't but please don't tell me to call it a Holiday whatever. They tried to change "The Christmas Tree " at city hall in Toronto to "The Holiday Tree" and the mayor said enough is enough.I have a joke I will post about this subject

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Thats why I sold everything to come here. America isn't land of the free and home of the brave anymore. Mind you this is my opinion.
When I went to visit family and friends in October. I was so glad I was there only 1 week. When I landed in the airport in NY there was such a different, sort of a constricting feel. Hard to explain. But the way I pictured the people there was robots.Doing what they'er supposed to do because thats the way it is. Worried about being politically correct. Not doing anything because someone will sue them. Just seemed they weren't enjoying their lives. When I came back..saw the first sighting of my new island home, I fealt free again. Had to fight back a tear in my eye so I didn't look like an idiot!
I know I need to go basck to USA to visit family and friends but never want to live there again.
So glad you fell in love with this country. Welcome!

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Jan said:
Thats why I sold everything to come here. America isn't land of the free and home of the brave anymore. Mind you this is my opinion.
When I went to visit family and friends in October. I was so glad I was there only 1 week. When I landed in the airport in NY there was such a different, sort of a constricting feel. Hard to explain. But the way I pictured the people there was robots.Doing what they'er supposed to do because thats the way it is. Worried about being politically correct. Not doing anything because someone will sue them. Just seemed they weren't enjoying their lives. When I came back..saw the first sighting of my new island home, I fealt free again. Had to fight back a tear in my eye so I didn't look like an idiot!
I know I need to go basck to USA to visit family and friends but never want to live there again.
So glad you fell in love with this country. Welcome!

Jan, now you're a truly dominicana, you had that feeling that we
all felt.

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
They tried to change "The Christmas Tree " at city hall in Toronto to "The Holiday Tree" and the mayor said enough is enough.

The funny thing is, for those of you who are not from Toronto, Mayor Mel is Jewish.

I don't see why everything Christian has to be forgotten. I wish people a Happy Diwali when it's that time of the year and I send other groups a happy wish for any of their occasions.

My neighbour's son moved his family to Owen Sound because they got tired of their children missing out on things due to the politically correct policies that are in the GTA schools.

Another thing I don't get is, nobody wants to call it Christmas, but I sure don't hear people complaining when the get Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing day off from work with full pay!

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Jan, you are my hero...

Seriously, I wish I was brave enough to sell everything here and head to DR for a new life!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Way to go floridabob. I've been in "Joisey" pretty much my whole life, and, although I bought a home in DR this year, I will be parking my b*tt in Florida to stage the eventual "escape" to DR, or maybe a "free" Cuba!

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Just so all the naysayers won't think I'm some kind of wild eyed mainiac, Id' like to add the following. I am a veteran of over 12 years service with U.S. Air Force Special Operations, and I currently serve in the Coast Guard Auxiliary as a search and rescue aircrew member. I always considered myself as a patriot, but the U.S. has changed dramatically and there's no chance of going back to the world of common sense. As an artist and a free spirit, I simply don't seem to fit into that society anymore. I have my own mind and opinions, and I'm simply tired of people telling me how I'm supposed to think and what I'm supposed to say.

I go to staff meetings at the company I work for, and everyone is trying to stab each other in the back to get a promotion at any cost. I once made the statement in a meeting that we are here on this earth for such a short time, why don't we just do our jobs and leave the other guy alone. They looked at me like I was some sort of an alien. I fell more and more out of place everyday.

I was raised in the country where people minded there own business, yet helped their neighbors when they needed help. Maybe those days are gone forever and I live in a fantasy world, but I'm going to try to make the best of the years I left. Thanks for listening.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
floridabob said:

I go to staff meetings at the company I work for, and everyone is trying to stab each other in the back to get a promotion at any cost. I once made the statement in a meeting that we are here on this earth for such a short time, why don't we just do our jobs and leave the other guy alone. They looked at me like I was some sort of an alien. I fell more and more out of place everyday.

I was raised in the country where people minded there own business,

Oh! You are going to love the DR!!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You should feel right at home here then!

The US may have gone too far with all that watered down meaningless happy holidays mush but here in the DR I find that it's too much the other way. If you're not a Catholic, a Christian or a believer of any sort you're pretty much excluded. Your beliefs and celebrations may as well not exisit.

Don't any of you find it annoying to have to smile and nod when people insist on saying 'si dios quiere' and 'dios le bendiga'? When they wonder why you won't accompany them to a church service? That when they refer to other religions they are thinking of other Christian denominations?

There must be some small minority of muslims (hi AZB) jews, hindus, pagans, atheists etc here but why aren't they visible?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: You should feel right at home here then!

[B]Chirimoya[/B] said:
There must be some small minority of muslims (hi AZB) jews, hindus, pagans, atheists etc here but why aren't they visible?
Because there aren't that many of them. There is religious tolerance in the DR, they are not molested in any way.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
I know what you mean Bob. In order to please everyone we are losing the things we belive in. They change the words so that no one will be offended. I think that if you don't belive in celebrating Christmas then don't but please don't tell me to call it a Holiday whatever. They tried to change "The Christmas Tree " at city hall in Toronto to "The Holiday Tree" and the mayor said enough is enough.I have a joke I will post about this subject

As a former Ontario Gov't drone, I hear you Anna. You know the women's movement "take back the night"? An Ottawa clergywoman is now urging christians to take back Christmas.

By the way, has anyone read 1984 lately? Newspeak; eliminate the word and the thought can't happen? Stan

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002

Chirimoya said:
If you're not a Catholic, a Christian or a believer of any sort you're pretty much excluded. Your beliefs and celebrations may as well not exisit.

Don't any of you find it annoying to have to smile and nod when people insist on saying 'si dios quiere' and 'dios le bendiga'? When they wonder why you won't accompany them to a church service? That when they refer to other religions they are thinking of other Christian denominations?

Sorry but you lost me,in all the years Ive lived here I never once felt I was excluded for any religion based reasons,I also dont mind the si dios quire as it is just a saying to me.I have friends from many different faiths in Sosua and we never discuss religion,it just has never come up because nobody makes it a focal point of conversation.If your religeon is so important to you may I suggest you find people of the same religeon to socialize with that way you wont feel excluded.I dont push my beliefs on others and wont socialize with people who push theirs on me.Sorry about this Bob ,how about getting back to the orriginal topic again.
Lets hope religeon and political correctness dont turn our paradise into the real world as I d hate like hell to start looking for a new island to move to,we already screwed most of them up by civilizing them.lol
Johnny:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Chirimoya said:
Don't any of you find it annoying to have to smile and nod when people insist on saying 'si dios quiere' and 'dios le bendiga'?

Why should anyone find it annoying? For some, they may just be expressions, as Johnny Honda suggests--like "have a good trip". And for those that say it because it somehow relates to their personal beliefs, the last thing that anyone speaking out for acceptance of religious beliefs should say is that this is "annoying".

With respect to mistakenly believing that "other religions" means only other Christian denominations, if you live here or spend a lot of time here, then you know that this is due primarily to the fact that a great percentage of the population only comes in contact with Catholics and other Christian denominations and probably learn little if anything about religions other than the above named in the schools.

I personally think you are trying to ride a dead horse with your complaints, Chirimoya.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Points taken - please understand that I was 'stirring' the pot in hope of a reaction for or against! Of course I realise that it is contradictory to moan about people invoking a deity ad nauseam while seemingly calling for more awareness of religious diversity. Maybe what I should have said is that I find it tedious that most people here assume you agree that there is a god as defined by the Catholic religion, and in most cases there is very little scope for debate beyond that.

However, I still stand by my main point that the lack of religious diversity we have here can be as stifling as the exaggerated inclusion of all religions so-as-not-to-offend-anyone which is one of the things driving floridabob away from his home country.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Me too! I agree with Ken.....si Dios Quiere (or quiede as the maid says) is just an expression as much like " Have a nice day!" is at home.
While many "profess" to be Catholic they don't practise" the faith and most really don't care what YOU do as long as you don't bother them while doing it (kinda like the sex trade here).

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't know about the rest of you but I Hate Christmas and all the ornamental bullshit that goes along with it. Only think that ever meant anything to me was the day off from work.

If they would just do away with it instead of trying to make it unilateral it would please me to no end.

jrshd9

Oct 31, 2002
hey every now and then it does the body and soul wonders just to go out and **** Somebody Off!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jazzcom said:
I don't know about the rest of you but I Hate Christmas and all the ornamental bullshit that goes along with it. Only think that ever meant anything to me was the day off from work.

If they would just do away with it instead of trying to make it unilateral it would please me to no end.

They will never get rid of it, jazzcom, it is too good for the economy. As you know, the difference between a successful and unsuccessful year for many retailers is how much they take in during the Christmas season.

I think you should change your board name to grinch or scrooge.